“Big box hotel with lots of swimming pools” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

You added The Condado Plaza Hilton to your Saves list
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico (Formerly Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Night & $100 Credit
Ranked #25 of 45 Hotels in San Juan
Vail, Colorado
“Big box hotel with lots of swimming pools”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Big – resort needs upgrade but still hip – GREAT sushi bar near the casino on the second floor – the breakfast café is terrible, don’t go there ever, it’s like Denny’s but worse.
We stayed in a room that had a great bed. The bathroom shower was a plexi glass cube, pretty cool but it leaked everywhere. The balcony was small and didn't offer much of a view. This would be a great place for a conference or someone who likes the big box hotels. However, the location was great - they have their own beach, a huge rock wall that when the waves are big creates an explosion of water - great show! The pools are HUGE - and there are 3 or 4 of them! They have a hot tub which is the only hot tub I think I ever saw in Puerto Rico. This would be a great place for family's with kids and young adults in their early 20's as well as a great place to have a business conference.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any actual rooms with an ocean view but if you can see the pool, that...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Where to start? Was never told about the $50 a day hold on my credit card, 6 days = $300 of my spending money that was held up. Oh well move on to the next thing. First room still had somebody's breakfast on the table and a unmade bed. Room 2 A/C BARELY worked and had hair ALL over the floor (hadn't been swept or mopped in a while). Room 3 better than the others but had to ask to sweep and mop. Kendra ended up helping us out and making sure we were taken care of, other than her do not expect much from the staff, especially the concierge! After that things seem to have gotten better, although I am sure that's because we only went to our room or the hotel to change or sleep. Sunday we went to check out and found out that I would not be receiving my Hilton Honors points for this trip, when I was told I would. The manager on duty was very rude and would do nothing to help and kept telling "the staff does not know the correct policies because they are new". It is sad that we had an awesome vacation and met a lot of very nice people and none of them (except Kendra) worked for the Conrad. I would easily take another vacation to San Juan Puerto Rico, just not stay there. Sister in-law had a room on the 9th floor and it smelled like the whole floor had sewage backup, she didn't want to pack her bags again so she just had to deal with it.

Raleigh, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My experience was very good except with few minor problems. very nice location and pools. room was clean. Front desk was not welcoming. The internet was not working effectively for some times. parking fee is high ($16) specially if you are staying at the resort for most of the time and not using the car.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Conrad Hotels & Resorts

Pomona, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed May 1, 2013 to May 5, 2013. Hotel was nice in a retro sort of way. Was in need of some renovations. Rooms did show excessive wear, and did need renovations (rust in the bathroom). View was amazing from my room, which was in the tower on the lagoon.

Hotel did have nice pools, and the beach was acceptable. Location was great, as we could walk to shops and restaurants. Was a tad far from old san juan, so taxis were expensive. We figured out the bus, which solved the taxi problem. There is a bus stop outside the hotel, which was nice.

The employees running the casino were not great. I was escorted out because i had a backpack on (i was stopping in after a day out shopping). I cannot fathom why my backpack would be cause to remove me from the casino, but apparently it was. Suffice to say, i was not pleased when i was escorted out of the casino.

In any event, the hotel was merely ok. Some features were nice, but the casino staff and rundown condition of the hotel keep me from giving this hotel anything more than an average rating.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Evansville, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Most people are here only for a night or 2 as they wait to catch their cruise ship, so the problems I experienced probably wouldn't be too much of a concern. Location is its strong point with its lagoon and nearby access to local restaurants and Old San Juan. I was here for over a month on business. This is advertised as a "luxury resort", but I must have missed the luxury part. This place is falling apart. Everyday something was broken down (i.e. elevators, escalator, hot water, fitness center air conditioning for over 2 months, etc.). The room was dated and just plain ugly. I had a suite that had a TV and phone only in the bedroom. Internet service only worked in the sitting room area. Staff morale seemed poor. Concierge service was terrible. They referred my wife and cousin on a tour guided trip to the rain forest that didn't include La Mina Falls to their disappointment. When I asked the concierge's about this later their response was that the brochure explains this fact. I felt compelled to tell them that if they expected the tourists to read all the brochures and to decide what was best we really didn't need concierges just to make a phone call. I received better concierge service from the desk clerks at the Hampton Inn where I was at before coming here. My overall impression is of a very poorly managed hotel with poor staff morale where customer service is not the main priority. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I traveled to San Juan for a belated honeymoon during May of 2013. We were on somewhat of a budget but still wanted to stay in a nice place so we settled on Conrad Condado Plaza. I was a little wary of this location from some of the reviews I read but felt like since we'd mostly be spending our time here sleeping, I shouldn't worry too much.

Lucky for us, we experienced none of the misfortune the befell other reviewers. Our room was clean, devoid of bugs, leaks, or any other problems others have mentioned before us. We had originally booked a "city view" room, but when we arrived my husband asked if there was any "ocean view" rooms available. There weren't, but there were "lagoon view" rooms open so they upgraded us to one of those, free of charge. The view over the lagoon was absolutely beautiful and you could see much of San Juan from here.

The rooms were relatively quiet except for the noise from the planes taking off and landing and at 8am promptly the hotel staff began cleaning and slamming doors, but I covered my head with a pillow and slept on despite this. Our room had a nice, comfy king-sized bed and it was a comfortable size to stay in for a week. The only annoyance was the tiny bathroom space, which seemed like it could have been utilized a little better (for instance, the glass shower door opened out instead of in, so you were likely to let water out as you turned on the shower) and the fact that there was no microwave (it would have been nice for the few times we wanted to stay in during our trip.) We never had any issues with the front desk, finding them to be very helpful whenever we had questions (even directing us to an emergency room when I began to have unexpected eye problems in the middle of our trip).

The lagoon pool left a little to be desired although it was much quieter than the other pool. The hot tub was not actually hot at all but maybe tepid on this side of the hotel. I loved the ocean side pool with the swim up bar and the jacuzzi that actually got quite hot. I thought that the rooms were exceptionally clean but the pool (specifically the salt water one on the ocean side) was not. The little beach area wasn't that clean either but it was nice all the same with security and chairs that you could lounge upon available for free. The water was clear and nice to swim in. The areas off to the side of the hotel with the chairs and hammock were just wonderful to visit at night with a drink or after a day at the water to wind down.

We had a massage on our last day there, which was done in a little area right by the water. It wasn't the best massage I'd ever had but I still wish that I had gotten the hour long one rather than the 30 minute one. While staying at this hotel we ate at the Denny's twice for convenience, which were the two worst meals of the trip. The Eight Noodle Bar, albeit expensive and just plain overpriced, was absolutely delicious if you're going to stay in for an evening. The casino was fun and I won about $30.75 on the slot machines. My only complaint about that casino was on the weekend the music was so obnoxiously loud you couldn't hear yourself think and that they were seriously lacking some table games (they had maybe 4 tables?).

Room Tip: Get the lagoon view or ocean view, it's worth it!
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This was my second time in PR and I was really looking forward to staying in the Condado beach area. We checked in and the room was beautiful, very modern and the bathroom was chic with a glass shower and upgraded features. The first time I got out of the shower, it was very slippery so I put down a towel. The second time I showered, I again was very cautious, stepped on the towel, then the floor and BAM! I slid across the entire floor and busted by shoulder and hip on the cold floor. I couldn't even get up bc I kept sliding. I was in pain for the rest of the trip and used towels to cover every inch of the bathroom. Be careful!! Plus, there isn't a real beach attached to the property and you can't get in because its very rocky. Walk down several blocks to the public beach behind the La Concha Resort if you want an awesome beach experience. They charge $5 for a chair. The service at the Conrad pool bar was terrbile, the concierge just wanted to get rid of us, but the doormen/staff at Starbucks and the car rental place attached to hotel were great! I love PR and will go back to Condado, but will not stay at this hotel. If you're looking for a great all around stay go somewhere else.