“Recently refurbished hotel. Great new casino.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

You added The Condado Plaza Hilton to your Saves list
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico (Formerly Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$99 Fall Rates
Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Delray Beach, Florida
“Recently refurbished hotel. Great new casino.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Excellent family stay. Beautiful grounds and facilities. Very very friendly staff and service. Stayed for a week. Plenty to do on the property. Very nice pools and beach. Kid friendly staff. Literally 5 minute cab ride to Old San Juan.

Room Tip: Beach front tower rooms are optimal. Suites are very big on the lagoon side.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
palm bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

just stayed here 3 nights.had room on ocean side with balcony facing ocean can here the waves just beautiful...the room has all tile no carpet...great no smells---fresh---has platform bed and sliding doors on bathroom and clear seethru glass square shower in bathroom
bathroom is large
refrig,coffee pot included...great housekeeping cleaned room early every day..everyone who works there was friendly to us...large indoor circle bar and free popcorn down by lobby 2 pools small beach area...sit out on your balcony ask for ocean side its the best side'''has 3 restaurants we ate at the chinese one twice great chicken rice,sweet sour soup,beef snow peas,also ate breakfast twice at cafe it was great to ....also the casino was good actually won some and they gave free soup and ham cheese pressed sandwichs and free drinks alcohol also right next door is starbucks and across from there is a dennys we didnt eat there thou and we walked a block down the road to a fancy restaurant and ate it was good to .....beds were soft and nice soft covers had relaxing sleep

Room Tip: ocean side balcony we stayed 4th floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Conrad for two days in late March. Some of the reviews are pretty harsh but overall, it's a good hotel. The service near the pool was good and our food was pretty tasty. The beach is small but adequate. We had an issue with my credit card and the front desk staff were very helpful and friendly during this matter. We did feel that the food was overpriced for what it was...and due to the location, there isn't much around to eat. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Conrad.

• Stayed March 2013
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Brandar,

Thank you for your review! I was delighted to read from your review that you enjoyed our service by the pool as well as our food selection. Our main concern is for all our guests to have an exceptional stay. I do however understand that you were unsatisfied with our food prices and that you found them to be too expensive. I apologize for this and assure you that we do all we can to create a great experience for each one of our guests. We are actively looking for ways keep costs low and offer enhanced services for your comfort and convenience and will definitely keep you review in mind.

Again, thank you and regards,

Guest Relations Manager

Again, I do thank you for your review and sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you may have gone through. I hope that the next time you are in the area, please consider staying with us at again.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Puerto Rico is a beautiful Island and has amazing waters but you don't want to be in the ocean in January the currents are terrible. The Conrad offers a beach that is in a small inlet where you don't feel the currents and didn't have to fear swimming. The pools were also pretty nice but FREEEZING. I expected more service wise due to this being a Conrad property and was a bit let down. Overall a nice stay, good location but I may try out La Concha next time.

Issues:
Housekeepers randomly entering the room to get the water bottle they forgot in the fridge while cleaning.
When you rent towels at the pool you better make sure to return them before the pool cabana closes otherwise they will hit you with a service charge.
Food was not spectacular and breakfast was ehhhhhh.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AbelG_E,

On behalf of the management and staff we’d like to thank you for your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate your business and thank you for selecting our hotel. At the same time we are disappointed to learn of your mixed feelings, as we always like to ensure that our guests feel cared for, valued and respected, which is our brand promise. Our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority and I assure you that we will definitely take your comments into consideration so that we may find ways to improve our hotel.

Thank you again for your review and we do hope that we may welcome you again in the future.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

In discovering that rooms only have showers, we asked for a room with a tub - they have a few with jacuzzi's. Three days later they have a room, but neglected to tell us it is $60 more......when I had been clear no additional charge. This may have been a 4 star hotel when it opened, but it squeaks by as a 3 star now. Service and attitude leave much to be desired. We asked for an umbrella but they had given their two away...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Ester351,

I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand from your review that there were some additional charges that you did not expect. I can assure you that we never want to intentionally mislead our guests in any way and I apologize if the charges were not clear. Our main priority is for all our guests to feel respected and that we can resolve their issues in an efficient matter. I was glad that we were able to resolve this situation however; I do apologize if this caused you any inconveniences.

Thank you again for your feedback and if there is anything I could further assist you with, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

michelle.burn@conradhotels.com
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed here between April 10-16 for my first visit to PR. I booked this through Cheap Caribbean and it came out to about $750 pp for airfare and hotel. I figured it's not a bad deal.
Here are the good:
1) LOVE the shower! The water gets hot quickly and the shower is strong enough unlike some of the other hotels I've stated before that has weak showers. It's a spacious shower since the closet, fridge, safe, coffee maker are all in there.
2) The location is close to some restaurants like Vieja Ropa, Casa Lola, Chilis, and Don Jose. As you walk to hotels on Ashford Avenue, they don't really have no-fuss restaurants as close.
3) I had a balcony and from room 739, I was able to see some part of the lagoon and the beach which was lovely. I could hear some noise from the hotel pool area (people screaming, music, and DJ), but once I close the balcony door, I don't hear a thing. I saw some of the reviews on here that recommended high floors because of the noise.
4) Pikayo is a very nice restaurant. I had dinner there on the last night and it is a very nice place, attentive and friendly staff, and mushroom risotto is to die for!
5) Most staff are pretty friendly.

The Improvements:
1) While the hotel tries to look hip and have nice decor, it needs to begin to pay attention to details. The paint on the balcony walls came off. The door had moldy dusty black things on them. The paint by the elevator is coming up. The carpet in the hallways are dirty. The room can get a little humid especially if you want to put the temperature up when you're cold.
2) Housekeeping is not great. There was a tissue ball at the side of the bathroom sink floor and housekeeping never picked it up. The table in the room had stains on them. You also need to have at least one more rash can in the main area (like under the desk). When ever we wanted to throw away a piece of paper or whatever, we had to go to the bathroom trash can.
3) Concierge is not very helpful or nice. I guess they just do the minimum -- if you ask them a question, then they will answer that ONE question. They would not really try to take one step further to help.
4) Not that it really matters, but no one from check-in to check-out ever acknowledged our birthdays (yes, the same day) which they did know about.
5) The Denny's onsite sucks. While the waitress we had on the first night was absolutely courteous and attentive, the next day, it took us forever to get a salad to go. The reason was not because they had to prepare the salad, but this hostess decided to prepare other take-out orders that were made AFTER mine. The hostess wanted to only go back to pick up ALL the orders once; therefore, my one salad had to wait for essentially 5 other orders. That does not make any sense. On top of that, instead of getting sliced avocado on my salad which was on the menu, I got a tub of guacamole. That is not what I ordered. While Denny's is very convenient and gives me refuge from all the local food, I think that place needs organization and training. If I ever go back to PR or even stay at Conrad, I would try my best to avoid Denny's. I would rather give Chili's another try.

Overall, for the price and location, I would recommend staying here if you just want a decent place to rest after a day of touring. I would be careful of the restaurants to pick. Vieja Ropa, Don Jose, Pikayo, and Casa Lola are all good choices depending how fancy you want to go.

Room Tip: Room 739 is pretty good. Make sure you get high floor to avoid the noise by the pool. Balcony rooms...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Pipersville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I come to Puerto Rico a lot for business and always stay in the Condado area. It is safe to walk around in, lots of places to eat and shop. This hotel is located at one end of Ashford Street- the end closest to old San Juan. I usually stay at the Marriott, but this hotel is a good alternative if the Marriott is full or have set their tourist prices. The lobby is very sterile and boring. There is a circular bar and a shop- that is it. Some areas to sit or hold meetings. The restaurants and casino are on the mezzanine level. The hotel is on both sides of Sahford Street. Try to stay on the ocean side- that is where everything is and it is easier to get to things in the hotel. If you like penny slots play the Monopoly ones. Rooms are clean and modern. They do need to put new beds in- they are worn and should have been replaced a time ago. Bathroom is a bit cramped- stuff a lot in a small area! Probably depends on the room you book. Park on the top level as the bottom level is always wet and dirty. The hotel boasts a 24 hour Denny's and a Starbucks. Inside tip for sunbathers. Since this hotel is located at the bay entrance you get a few hours more of sun than at the Marriotts becasue there are no buildings in the area to block the sun. They also have a beach on the bay in addition to the pool. Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!