“Cheerful Rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

Save Saved
You added The Condado Plaza Hilton to your Saves list
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico (Formerly Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Fall Free Night
Ranked #21 of 47 hotels in San Juan
Detroit
“Cheerful Rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The rooms here were clean enough and nicely decorated though not lavish. Restaurants in hotel above average though a tad overpriced as are taxi rides! Starbucks right outside the main hotel entrance. Casino was lively.. But the beach was a BIG OLE DRAG! The weirdest most univiting slice of beach I have ever seen. Big lobby with sofas tucked around, good for watching the sea and other people. Other hotels with casinos and some shopping about 15 min walk away.

Room Tip: The lagoon side might be preferable.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear traveltrueDetroit,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. While we are delighted that you found our rooms to be clean and nicely decorated, we are sorry that you are disappointed with some aspects of your stay with us.

I truly apologize if you found our restaurant and taxi service to be overpriced and that you were not impressed with our beach. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. I will make sure that take your comments into consideration to improve our property.

Please accept our sincere apologies and we hope that next time you are in town; you consider staying with us again.

Michelle Burn
Guest Relations Manager

2,607 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (611)
Vancouver BC Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed heer in January for a sales meeting. A great busness hotel in a great ocean front location - nothing but good things to say. I can't say what price was paid because I never saw the bill, but we all had a great stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Montréal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We are worldwide travellers, know the Conrad hotels and remember very nice experiences, one of which in Singapore. We did chose the Condado Conrad for a 5 nights stay expecting excellent services and restaurants. What a surprise to the sloppy service and more particularly, to the terrible restaurants. No restaurant at the level promised by costly promotions, except for one, all are fast foods. The cook even failed a simple order of two sunny side up.
Since there is no other restaurants in the immediate area of Condado, we ended up eating at night at the nearby Hilton.

Ames, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This hotel has two towers. The one on the North side of the street overlooks the Atlantic, the other is on the bay side. We had a room looking out over the ocean and the view was definitely worth the price. We sat on the balcony every day and watch the surf, the people, the ships coming & going, and the sunsets. We had a King bed with a *really* large enough bathroom, pocket door, walk-in glass walled shower, closet, dresser, mini-fridge, safe, toilet, sink, and vanity. We needed someplace to hang wet beach towels and swim suits, so had room to set up the ironing board in the bathroom to hang our stuff and still had enough room to walk around in there!

We were there for a company sponsored trip. The staff was courteous, the rooms were spacious enough, and the location was nice! Safe neighborhood: we walked to restaurants and some shopping nearby. We safe police officers sprinkled in every public location at night so weren't worried about security.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I booked this hotel as a package on Expedia with my flight included. It was between this and the Caribe Hilton. My boyfriend and I chose this on a whim. After I booked I began to regret it as so many of the reviews on here were negative (some VERY negative) about the hotel, the service, everything. I am SO GLAD I ignored them and kept my reservation. From beginning to end we were thrilled with this hotel.

When we arrived I asked if they had any upgrades available (I had booked a standard City View room.) The check-in agent told me they had an ocean view room available but that it had 2 Queen beds. I asked how much the upgrade cost and she said "nothing, its free." We didn't care that it had 2 beds - we only used one - but having the ocean view was well worth it.

The room was HUGE and so was the bathroom. Yes there was some wear and tear (the hotel is more than 50 years old) but it did not in any way impact the quality of our stay. Housekeeping was very thorough. Beds were made, pillows fluffed, towels replenished, bathroom scrubbed.

The pool area was perfect every day and the bar service was excellent. Unlike other reviews we never waited for towels from the concierge. We only ate at one restaurant - the Caribe Cafe - and only for breakfast. Service was prompt, price was VERY cheap, and food was good. No complaints there.

Overall the only thing this hotel lacks is a better location. The Vanderbilt and La Concha are closer to the action in Condado but the Conrad is a great deal with nice rooms and a friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ocean View rooms are the way to go.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ConradSanJuan, General Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear guest; thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you; we are glad you decided to be your own judge about our hotel, and as important, that you were pleased with your experience. Please allow me to say, my staff and I are very committed to provide excellence in service, and I will make sure they know that their efforts have been rewarded. Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Raul Bustamante
Managing Director
Largo, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We got back from a four night / five day stay there last week. Given some of the reviews we saw and location we thought it was a home run.

When we got there we checked out our room. It was nice. The bathroom is small, the vanity is half blocked by the toilet so you have to stand off to the side to use the sink. The shower door leaked really bad, ending up with a huge puddle on the floor. Took just about all our towels just to sop it up. The bathroom door is a sliding door that doesnt cover completely so you do not have total privacy and there is no lock, just like a closet door. The balcony is really big but the railing is old and rusty and I was afraid to put any weight on it. The view however was nice of Ashford Avenue.

The service varied a lot. From the basics like the doormen, that was fine.. Hard to mess that up. The service inside any of the restaurants, beach bar, gift shop and so on, was horrible and the prices are criminal. $3.00 for a can of coke at the gift shop. You can rent snorkeling equipment at the pool area to use at the beach. I am experienced in scuba and it really is not hard to care for basic equipment such as mast, snorkel and fins. The fins were ok. The mask given to me was scratched up and had sand all over jammed in the cracks. Also the strap that goes on your head wouldnt stay, that is because it was missing parts and they tied knots in the strap so you cant adjust it.

Back to the price of things.. A meal for my wife and I at the cafe was $45.00. Basically everything is expensive. The only thing there that is not crazy is the Dennys, however you can expect unspeakably horrible service from waiting to be seated, to order, refills, to pay, the list goes on. I watched four staff members playing on their phones together by the kitchen entrance while we waited on our food for 15 min. If not that the service everywhere stinks, we would have left. People stood at the front to be seated for 7 minutes before the guy yelled hello to get attention. If you have a car, you will pay $3.00 a hour up to $16.00 per day to park there - even for guests. There is also a daily resort fee... They nickel and Dime you.

We also booked a excursion to the Bio Bay. Be aware, there is a weight limit of 250. They did not tell me this when we booked the excursion for two hundred dollars. I had to learn of the weight limit researching it online. I called down and they then told me oh yes, there is a limit.. Keep in mind... I do not look like I weigh 250, wish I did, but no.. Took four days to get a refund and daily trips to the conceirge to keep on them.

All in all, considering I see prices online for hundreds a night to stay there, not worth it!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I came to PR because I nonrev and was going to Aruba with my mom and two kids. Unfortunately, my mother forgot her current passport, so we changed flights to go to PR. since it was last minute, I asked my husband to book something because I trust him. He went through Expedia and spend £650 for three nights. I thought that was expensive, but it went on to be even more expensive!

I used to live in PR, so I knew the area and already knew there wasn't much around there except the hotels. I agree with other reviewers, the lobby is outdated, the hotel strip is just as dumpy as it was 20 years ago, there was nothing around unless you walk 20 minutes to Walgreens. The hotel had very expensive food and drinks and I would have left after the first day if we could have (Expedia wont cancel).

The good points:

The churrasco wrap was fabulous! (Skirt steak, plantains, and cheese wrap), the pool was super fun for the kids, the room was pretty and the bathroom was amazing (especially the shower).
The kids enjoyed some cool activities.
I liked the shampoos/soaps :)
Casino staff was nice.

The bad points:

The location-nothing around
The staff-not too helpful or friendly, especially at the pool.
Too expensive. There was an additional $150 fee when we checked out for "services"!
They will charge you for the pool towels
We were on the second floor and the elevators were out. We had to go through the mezzanine and then through the dumpy employee elevator room.
We had to ask the staff to clean our room, but they did promptly

We went snorkelling. We bought our own snorkels, 2 sets for $60 at the Walgreens. Not worth it, bring your own! I just saw some at target for $2! But, the snorkelling was the best part!!

Room Tip: Not the second floor! You can't use the regular elevators and will need to walk 6 flights of sta...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Pamotten,

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business, and trust that we do our best to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Michelle Burn
Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!