“Some missing features keep this hotel from being great. Very friendly staff.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

You added The Condado Plaza Hilton to your Saves list
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico (Formerly Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$129 (USD)
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Some missing features keep this hotel from being great. Very friendly staff.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This hotel is nice, but it's definitely not perfect. If you do stay here you'll really enjoy the very friendly staff who do their best to accommodate your needs, comfortable beds, nice beds to lounge on by the pool, and a swim-up bar. There are plenty of shady and semi-shady spots around the pools. Some of the drawbacks: the beach is nice, but it's small and next to a road. The concierge desk is a bit to small, and they only seem to recommend places that give kickbacks to the hotel. The drinks and food at the pool bar are mediocre (the food and drinks in the hotel are much better). Our television remote didn't work, and neither did the audio on quite a few channels, including CBS during the Super Bowl. The air conditioning in our room blew cold air, but not enough to keep the room cool. Overall a decent hotel that's close to earning four stars, but isn't quite there yet.

Room Tip: Get a room in the north/main tower. The casino, pools, and beach are all in the north tower.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We were celebrating my husband's birthday. Checking in was disastrous. It began with being told that our $100 Resort Credit did not apply for our stay. After that, we were told that there was a room ready for us. On my reservation, I specifically requested a king size bed. We were checked into a 2 double beds room. When we arrived at the room. The room had not been clean. We called the front desk person and she apologized and told us to stay in the room while she found us another. The bellman (Jose) was extremely helpful he went downstairs while we stayed in a dirty room to get the key to our new room. We were given another room which was clean. Needless to say there was alot of back and forth with the Front Desk of the Hotel. After all the errors the hotel manager decided to give us the $100 resort credit that already due to us. The other complaint I have is that the Lagoon side does not really have any security anyone can walk into the Hotel. Next time I visit Puerto Rico I will be pay a little more and stay at La Concha.

Room Tip: Stay on the beach side. The lagoon side has no security and it's not that nice.
St. Thomas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My stay in 2011 was incredible, my stay 2012...... Not so much. In 2011 we stayed in an Ocean Suite room 1036 which was amazing. We returned and stayed in a Spa Junior suite and that room was great. But the view was ridiculous! Graffiti on the bldg next door being covered up by an advertising banner..... And an abandoned bldg out our side window....... And we could barely see the ocean. Note: Never pick a Lagoon Tower room!

For my first visit I was blown away by the A+ customer service Manager Maria Villa provided. I tried to arrange another visit with her but they said she no longer works there. I dealt with Leah Rossi the 2nd time and she was awesome! I had a Valentines Day gift shipped to the hotel for my fiance so that it would be in our room upon arrival and she saw to it that the plan was executed. Thanks!!

I admired her customer service and dedication, but when I tried to arrange my 3rd visit, she had a hard time getting back to me by email for weeks to confirm the room that was not listed online so I just stayed else where. By the time she got back to me, it was days before the trip and I'm not a last minute traveler!

At my 2nd visit, I even toured the family suite to confirm my interest of returning with other guests but it was so TINY. You are better off getting 2 rooms! (A guy at the front desk assisted and he was awesome! Name was Ortiz or Orlando can't remember ....short, bald to low cut head, attractive)

Also, they need to know that all suites should have moderate to large bathrooms no matter what type. The spa suite bathroom was huge!!! But the family suite bath was as cramped as the standard rooms bath!

I also noticed that Denny's was across the street on my 2nd visit....... Don't recall seeing it in 2011 but it was good food. They even served cocktails!!

Well, I think it's time to move on to other hotel experiences. It was great while it lasted.....

Room Tip: No Lagoona tower rooms! No ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Kish m,

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. I am truly sorry that you did not find our customer service to be as good as when you first came to our property. Unfortunately, Mrs. Villa and Leah Rossi are no longer with us. Currently, I am the hotel's Guest Relations Manager. Please , should you wish to give us another opportunity, I am sure we will not dissappoint you! Your feedback is very important to me and I thank you for bringing these issues to my attention.

Kind regards,

Tampa,FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

the hotel was nice, very modern and art-deco style. the rooms were very nice and clean. the pool area is great, beach is awful. the hotel is right on the water with a beautiful view. Service is good. hotel is in a great location--walking distance to everything in condado, and next to the bust stop to go to old san juan (only $.75 vs. $15 taxi each way). Was not impressed with the food at the hotel, in fact everything food-wish was average and over priced.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Scarsdale, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Not worth the cost. The hotel is advertised as a luxury hotel but just a standard hotel at luxury price. The location and grounds are beautiful but your treatment as a guest is far from luxury.
Casino is small.

Dear Bernard B,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. While we are delighted that you found our grounds to be beautiful and our location to be convenient, we are sorry that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay with us.

I truly apologize if you were disappointed with the level of service you received from our staff. Our guests’ satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. I assure you that your feedback is extremely important to us and I will make sure to discuss your comments with our staff.

Please accept our sincere apologies and we hope that next time you are in town; you consider staying with us again.

North Carloina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The outside building facade and inner halls need renovation. There are 2 main towers- 1 on the water and 1 across the street on the lagoon.
Room: big king size room. Wifi rarely worked. Good sized bathroom.
Registration- the clerk (Omel) tried to stiff us by saying there were not any king bed rooms available. When I wouldn't budge, he miraculously found the last one. When I checked out, the final bill had resort and other fees (non-governmental) of almost $60/day.
Amenities: the beach sucks. It is a public beach that is quite small. The 2 pools by the ocean were ok. Nothing spectacular. If anything, they were on the small side. The hot tub was noisy. The casino has a few blackjack tables, lots of slots, some roulette and craps. Better than the Sheraton at Pier 2 and the Sheraton by the convention center.
Food: Aqua restaurant had good salads. Their burgers were horrible. Cafe Caribe had great service and good food.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed for a single night before our cruise. We had large group and negotiated a nice rate. Rooms and other facilities were just fine, but the service was just not up to the standards expected from Hilton properties. Staff was slow to respond to a variety of issues -- some small, some not so small. The worst service glich was at the pool bar, where it took more than 45 mintues to have our order taken. In the end, we gave up on table service, and placed our order with the bartender. Then it took another 45 minutes for the food to arrive!! No servers checked in with us, and we had no idea if our order was even submitted. Bad form all around. Slow response continued when a friend had an issue with her room which took three hours to resolve (not what a HH Diamond member would expect). I could provide a dozen other examples of staff just not making any effort on simple things. Here's just one ... someone spilled a box of takeaway food in the elevator. Things like that happen, but it should not take almost two hours, and multiple complaints by guests, before anyone made an effort to clean it up. An otherwise lovely hotel, but the poor service colored our stay. We'll go back to the Caribe next year.

Room Tip: Rooms in the lagoon building are a long walk and two elevator rides aways from the main lobby, pool...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear dcdiva,

Thank you so much for your review. We always aim to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected. I truly regret if our staff was slow to respond to you requests. I can assure that our main priority is to make sure our guests are well attended and serviced. I sincerely apologize if we came short of delivering this for you. Your business is extremely important to us and I sincerely apologize is this caused you any inconveniences.

Again, I please accept my apologies and I make myself available should you have any further questions.

All the best,

Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!