“avoid this place” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

You added The Condado Plaza Hilton to your Saves list
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico (Formerly Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$129 (USD)
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
new york
“avoid this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is not a "luxury" hotel.
Service is mediocre, sometimes there is no one manning the front desk even though there is a line of people waiting. The room was clean but one day was not serviced even though we had put the Service sign on the door. Then they didn't actually clean it, just changed the towels and bed sheets.
Room design is very poor. The main lighting by giant lamps on each side of the bed is too bright and only has one switch to turn it on/off which is at the head of the bed.
No soundproofing -we could hear the conversations in the room next to ours.
The open closet in the bathroom, just in front of the shower door. Really?

The beach by the hotel is a tiny strip of sand. The pool area is also quite small with loud music.
On the other hand, lots of the outside space is just wasted as nothing is done to allow guests to enjoy it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I disagree with DEE B 100%, San Juan is not a dump and neither is the hotel. This individual must be one miserable soul. I have stayed several times at the Conrad and keep coming back because its convenient, easy access to old San Juan and Conrad often throws really good deals. I was there over the Christmas week and although the hotel was crowded it was very accommodating. The half an hour FREE zumba class was not annoying and people really enjoyed it. Yes the beach area is small but you know that coming in if you do your research correctly. If you want more beach a quick 5 min walk will take you to the bigger beach section. Restaurant at hotel is pricey so venture out and you will find great food at great prices. I would recommend Waikiki or Orozcos which are on the strip. Police presence was visible but made me feel safe. The swim up bar Aqua Bar is good for quick food and drinks. I had hostess Grechen and she was awesome. Very friendly and attentive. San Juan is being built up and you may see one or two dilapidated buildings but not to the point where you would feel like you are in a ghetto area of Miami. I found the streets clean and people in the area friendly. Isla verde is also a good place to visit.

Room Tip: Lagoon or Ocean view is ideal.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Suffolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This hotel was the perfect spot for our holiday escape with our kids, 10 and 13. They loved the pools and the hot tub and the beach was sufficient for our needs - we're more pool loungers than beach bathers. Our kids loved the pool slide and the pool volleyball. We were always there early so getting chairs was not an issue and we virtually had the pool to ourselves when we returned from dinner or outings. There are signs of wear & tear on the building exterior but the lobby and our room (ocean view in ocean tower) were wonderful and modern. The bathroom was huge and the beds were comfortable with crisp linens and nice down comforters. We loved the balcony as a second space to read or chat while the kids slept or watched a movie. I used the fitness area which wasn't resort quality but still had better equipment and more space than the usual (Courtyards) I'm accustomed to visiting. We got a rental car for excursions to Torro Verde and El Yunque rain forest and parking in the hotel garage was less expensive than I expected ($15/night). I thought the location was tremendous, a quick cab ride to Old San Juan and easy walking distance to nice restaurants. I especially liked that there were hammocks for relaxing away from the pool, the multiple pools and hot tub, and the beach.

Overall, I thought it the hotel made for a great experience for our family.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at the Conrad for 5 days through the busy time of the holiday season.
We also stayed at the Marriott just a few days earlier and thus I have a good base to compere.
When I rate hotels I do so based on value, i.e. the ratio between what you pay and what you get.
As an example, of course a $1,000/night hotel has to deliver more than a $150/night hotel, but if what it delivers is just a slight difference then its score will be worse than the cheaper hotels’ scope, even if in terms of specifics it’s somewhat better. And I think is pretty clear why.
Per our stay at the Conrad (two rooms):
We stayed at the building facing the sea, not the one facing the lagoon, though in a back-room.
Room: good size, comfortable, clear, modern,
Room amenities: all good, TV little small but we didn't come to a vacation to sit in the room and watch TV
Pool and spaces around: very nice, comfortable, not crowded, clean, great views, friendly staff
Staff and front desk: we had little interaction with them, so hard to say, but I feel, from the few interactions that they are a little rigid and not always going over-board to try and help/solve problems, but again we had only a handful of interaction.
Restaurants: seem a little expensive, even compared to the surrounding tourist area.
Location: great
The bottom line: in the price range of $140-$180, for a family coming for a relaxing vacation, I think this is as good as it gets.

Room Tip: From rooms facing the sea or towards the pool the views are really nice
Palm Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My family and I spent Christmas at this hotel. First of all, we paid way too much for this property. The room was over $300.00 per night. I have been to Puerto Rico before. Trust me. This was way too much money for this location. Breakfast was included with the room; however, the meal consisted of a bagel and coffee and could not exceed $7.00. What a rip. The rate for breakfast far exceeded this allowance. What a surprise for the substantial increase in the room rate for "breakfast." Thankfully there was a Starbucks directly next door to the hotel.

In addition, there are two towers: 1 that's on the beach and the other one that's across the street from the main hotel. This is extremely important because you would never know this from any of the advertisements. What the hotel does is play up rooms located on the "lagoon", making one believe that lagoon front rooms overlook, or are in reasonable sight of the ocean's lagoon. Be careful. Although there is an ocean lagoon, there is also a small intracoastal bay inlet lagoon that's adjacent to a main roadway. To my surprise, that was where my room was located.

Although the maid staff was excellent, the hallways needed maintenance. There were also visible carpet stains and discoloration all over the place. The elevators were also really slow. There seemed to be a decent amount of night activity in the hotel. That was a plus. Also, the valet staff was fast. On the other hand, the concierge was horrible - - just horrible. Even their pre-printed material, especially directions, needs to be revised and proofread before sending guests out to wander about the city. The best part about the hotel was its pools and ocean lagoon. There are 2 pools, a hot tub and a beach equipped with complimentary lounge chairs for registered guests. Bring aquatic shoes though for the beach. Several people sustained foot injuries from either jagged shells or debris in the beach water.

Room Tip: Ensure you're in the ocean tower on the Atlantic side.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Krimson,

First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations. I was extremely disappointed to read from your review that you had some issues at our hotel. I can assure you that our main priority is for our guest to have an exceptional stay with us and we will do everything we need to do to ensure that these issues are corrected. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

All the best,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Overall experience was average. My boyfriend and I stayed here right after Christmas 2012. The beach was almost non-existent compared the isla verde hotels just a few miles away...the pool area was very crowded, acknowledging that we were there the week after Christmas, but still! 1 day we were told we could only have 1 towel each bc the hotel was full, not luxurious or accommodating! There was also an obnoxiously loud Zumba class at the pool deck everyday at 11am...a half hour each day we dreaded. The hotel is slightly out dated, lobby had a smell, lots of wasted space on the main floors and ocean front was not taken advantage of at all. There is a gorgeous sea wall where waves crash up and it's picturesque, barring the fact that there is little to no place to enjoy this view. The restaurants in the hotel are WAY over priced and service is SLOW! The room, which had a lagoon view, was modern and clean, had all modern amenities (Internet was a little slow but it was there!). The lagoon is another feature that the hotel does not advertise nearly enough, there are paddle boards, kayaks and paddle boats for rent. Look out for the manatee families, there are 3 or 4 in the lagoon! The location can't be beat, condado has cute shopping and restaurants and its 10 min from old san Juan. In summary, if you're a beach lover, spend a little more and stay on Isla verde beach.

• Stayed December 2012
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear MandKtravelers,

First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I understand that you thought that our property was somewhat dated. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and I can assure you that we are taking your comments into consideration. I apologize that you're comfort was interrupted by other guests and I have shared your review with our security team. I do hope the next time you return to the area you consider staying with us again.

Happy New Year to you and your loved ones,

NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I would never go back here again, and really regret choosing San Juan and this hotel for vacation. You are basically vacationing in the middle of a city. This hotel has no beach- there is access to a public beach that is crowded with locals who bring their radios and the highway is ten feet away. We had to walk 20 minutes to a decent beach, and it was only decent because it was in front of closed and run down hotels so there was a guy renting old beach chairs. The pool areas are old and unattractive, and there is not enough room for all of the guests. The cafe in the hotel serves terrible food and has no ambiance that we didnt even risk trying any of the other restaurants. We just went into Old San Juan, which is NOT walking distance from the hotel but a $15 cab ride each way. Also, the bathroom shower stunk of mold.
The city smells of garbage and has a lot of sketchy areas; police presence is everywhere. The food/restaurants are below average and extremely expensive. I did not feel like I was in the Carribbean, but in a ghetto area of Miami. There was garbage everywhere and it was not relaxing or quiet.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. DEE B

First of all, thank you for your open feedback of your recent stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations and I am actively working with our management team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience. I was disappointed to read from your review that you found our food not to be of your liking, and even more that you consider our island a “dump”, taking into account that we strive to provide the best experiences, services, and warmest hospitality to all who visit our beautiful island.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Wishing you and your loved ones a very Happy New Year!

Best regards,

michelle.burn@conradhotels.com

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!