“Trendy and happening hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

Save Saved
You added The Condado Plaza Hilton to your Saves list
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico (Formerly Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Fall Free Night
Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Miami, Florida
“Trendy and happening hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay here. The restaurants were awesome especially the pikayo and noodle 8 bar upstairs by the casino. I loved the private beach and the awesome swim up bar.
The noodle 8 bar was open until three am and its definitely worth visiting if you want awesome asian food. Their spicy funa roll and special fried rice was amazing. Also the people are very friendly. Also their main restaurant Pikayo is a fancy high end restaurant well worth the price. My boyfriend and I had my birthday dinner here and they even brought out a little candle for me.

• Stayed December 2012
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear MarieC3206,

Happy Belated Birthday!

Thank you for your recent response and your positive comments regarding our facilities. I hope you and your boyfriend enjoyed your birthday dinner at our fabulous Pikayo Restaurant.

We hope to host you once more in the near future!

All the best,

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
Tampa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I cannot comment on the hotel itself as I am not sure whether I will be canceling my reservation or staying at the hotel. On the website it looks nice though. My review is based on their customer service prior to my stay. I have contacted the hotel 3 times (via their online form) and have yet to receive a response to my inquiries. The first time I received no response I thought maybe it was a fluke but the second and third time seems to be an overall lack of customer service. I was mentioning this to a friend who also told me that she herself received no response when she inquired about their banquet facilities for her wedding. Of note, I contacted them over three weeks ago which I believe is more than enough time for a response.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
MichelleBurn, General Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear SussyLoz,

I apologize that you have not been contacted since you filled out our online form. I will be contacting our Senior Wedding Manager and our Director of Marketing to ensure our page is working properly. I would appreciate if you could contact me so I can follow up with a response in regards to your request.

michelle.burn@conradhotels.com
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed there for a convention , when I got there my reservation was wrong . The person in the front desk without any ceremony at all said not only we cannot honor your rate but we are cancelling your room because you are not in the group list. After the issue was resolved there was no apology there , they send some fruit to the room the day after. The property is beautifull and it has a somehow secluded beach area ,it is open to the public but adjacent to the hotel . The grounds and the pool have seen better days . The room was very confortable and clean . and the dining options were OK. I would recomend it for an adult group because is very close to Old San Juan and right in the Condado area but teens and kids dont have many options. Parking is expensive and they dont aknowledge your hilton membership .

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Pueblo, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

this is a great place to stay very clean place we got an upgrade to the ocean veiw for $20 plus resorst fee and tax a night this is a must when staying at the condado plaza the only downside is the $20 a night resort fee plus tax and the parking $16 a day plus tax the staff sre very nice the only thing is on our last night they deactivated our room key we just got back from culubra and was tired went down to see what was goiung on the reset the key and asked for id didnt have it whith me it cas in a bag with my wife waiting outside the room so they sent security with me to the room to verify great location close to old san juan while in old san juan make sure to go eat the best mofango in puerto rico restaurante el jibarito

Room Tip: ak for a room upgrade ocean view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed here for seven nights on business during Mid-October. The weather was great, the company that I was in town working with was great, the locals were great, the hotel, however, was far from great.

I'm a Diamond Member with Hilton Honors and had to ask and sometimes beg for the amenities I should have just out right received and even pieces that were to be included in the room rate I had to ask for as well. I arrived to a somewhat stuck up front desk person and I asked about upgrades...she said I was upgraded to a oceanfront room. I corrected her and told her that is what I booked and inquired about the larger oceanfront suites, she said that's not an option all though the hotel was clearly far from capacity. Oh well.

Upon getting into my room it was well appointed but wasn't a fan of the all tile floors. They were slippery and just covered with grains of sand that weren't swept or mopped up. And speaking of sand I actually had to have my sheets changed because they were either not changed from the previous guests or they must have washed them on the beach because there was a ridiculous amount of sand in the bed itself. I was tired from traveling and elected to order room service for the first night...while it tasted better than expected the order wasn't received as I ordered it so points off for that.

Now my room rate included (5) free rum drink coupons, free breakfast coupons, and match bet coupons for the casino. I received none of these on arrival and had to ask for every single item that I should have automatically received.

When I attempted to use the match bet coupons in the casino I was questioned like a felon on where I got them, who gave them to me, when did I receive them, etc. Not to mention this was all blatantly in front of other guests and casino patrons! I was embarrassed and shocked at the same time. I explained I received them from management and she then called and had to verify before she would stamp the coupons. Absurd!

The pool bar was nice if you could find someone to actually take your drink order but the drinks were good when you could actually get one.

Honestly, I could go on and on about a bunch of minor oversights by the staff and lack of attention to detail for all guests but I think you can get the point by now.

Conrad's are supposed to be toward the top tier of Hilton Brand Properties but I've received better service at Homewood Suites and and Hampton's.

What makes me very sad about this stay is that it truly is a beautiful property and the potential is there to be excellent. The staff, however, makes it a very forgettable stay.

Most of the guests staying at the property are relaxed and fun since most are on vacation and that was the saving grace of my stay. I met some wonderful people during my stay that made things enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear CCTVTrainer,

We regret that we were not able to provide you with the quality of service and amenities you deserved during your recent stay. We strive for flawless service delivery at our hotel, and we are always looking for ways to ensure that each guest experiences the very best we have to offer. Your feedback will help us to continue to improve our training processes, and we hope you will return to stay with us to experience the results of that work for yourself.

Miami, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Hi, we just got back from San Juan, Puerto Rico we stay at the Conrad on 11/21/12. When we arrived at the Hotel we found out that our reservations were wrong, what they had was 2 rooms with single beds each. I show them my copy of my reservation that it`s showed 2 rooms with double beds each. At that moment the concierge from the front desk at night, said to us that she did not had any rooms available. I requested to speak to the manager to resolve this; she went to ask the manager Mrs. Carol from the front desk and she said that for a price of $20.dollars per night, they can give me an upgrade; I did not agreed then she went back to her and they low the price to $15.dollars. Still don`t agreed whit this ,we request to speak to her again and instead of her speaking to us she went to take care of another customer that they just arrived while we were waiting there for more that 30 minutes; this is at 11:00pm. Finally when she decided to come and take care of us I showed her my reservations papers and the confirmation, that`s when she finally decided to give us the rooms. I requested a handicap room because we were with my nephew that he’s handicap, she stated that one room was going to be in one tower and the other room in the other tower, at that moment we were so tired that I agreed to it. When we got to the rooms we saw that none of the rooms were handicap.
In the middle of the night we realize that the air conditioning was not working properly. I couldn’t sleep at all, so the first thing in the morning I went to the front desk and told what happen to Mrs. Marisol Rodriguez and she was so nice that she accommodate us in the same floor as my sister at no extra charge. When I got to the room it didn`t had no coffee maker so I requested one.
The next day 11/22/12. I went to do coffee and the coffee maker had an old coffee bag in it, dirty and full of mold. We call the front desk around 11: am to give the complaint they said that the manager was going to come to speak to us in person and him never show up instead they sent someone to change the coffee maker. At that time the housekeeper (Iralia) was doing the rooms in that floor I told her to please do my room and she said yes for me not to worry.
When we got back at 11:00pm for my surprise the room was not clean as she said that she was going to do, what a disappointment, I called the front desk and they sent 2 workers from housekeeping to clean the room at this moment I’m very upset and Mr. Hector Ortega and Makimba Montanez from housekeeping, while they were fixing my room, they did me the favor to called at the manager and explain the situation, Mr. William Ibern manager from Conrad spoke to me and apologize. I explain to him how I felt and what had happen since my arrival. He apologizes again and stated that he was going to fix the problem. What a disappointment with this Hotel just a verbal apology and nothing else, what kind of business are running here, no wonder a lot of people speaks badly about Puerto Rico they have forgotten the word of good customer service, is not the first time that we stay there, but definitely will be the last. I feel very bad that in my country, some of my people have lost what is a good customer service, what a shame.
Sincerely
Grisselle Badillo

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Griselle B,

Grisselle,

Please accept our sincere apology for your recent experience with us in Puerto Rico. We regret the hassle at check-in and the service you received throughout your stay. We strive to make every guests stay a pleasant one and we apologize for the inconvenience we may have caused you. We appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally about the situation. We are sorry again, and hope to have another chance to show you the quality service and hospitality you expect and deserve from our brand should you return to the island in the future.

Michelle.burn@conradhotels.com
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

STAY DETAILS
November 22-24, 2012
1 king room
Rate: $98/night at Hotwire.com

I would recommend this hotel for the location and cleanliness.

We booked the hotel via Hotwire without knowing the hotel name before booking. It was listed as a 4-star hotel in San Juan with the following amenities: Near Beach, Oceanfront Property, Casino, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, Laundry Facilities (self-service), Golf Nearby, Tennis Nearby, Spa Services, Accessible for the blind and deaf, Free internet, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Handicapped parking, Roll-in shower.

The total cost at Hotwire came up to $115.64 / night. We had to pay a resort fee of $13.43 / night at the hotel upon check-out.

LOCATION
The location is convenient. It is close to Old San Juan and Pan-Am cruise terminal ($12 taxi ride + $1/luggage). Restaurants are a walk away, tho there were 4 restaurants on site and Starbucks.

PREMISES
The place was modern and clean. There were two towers – Ocean and Lagoon tower. As the name states, the Ocean tower overlooks the ocean, while the Lagoon tower across the street overlooks the bay. A bridge connects the two towers on the Mezzanine (2nd) floor. The grounds were maintained beautifully.

STAFF
The staff were friendly and very willing to help. One of the pool concierge was about to leave to get something, but when she saw me a little confused (but I didn’t really need her), she came running back with a big smile to ask if she could help me. We couldn’t open our room door and asked for help from one of the housekeeping staff. Apparently, we just needed to push the door harder. But the staff didn’t stop there. He proceeded to help us with our luggage.

ROOM
We were given a room (774) in the Lagoon tower overlooking the bay. It was one room away from the elevator. The room was very clean except for the chair that had a couple of faint stains on it. The room was nicely decorated with modern fixtures. The TV was 27″, quite small for the size of the room. The bed was comfortable and I love how big the night tables were. I had my laptop and other gadgets charging on the night table by my side. The bathroom was nice, but tiny. It had a nice shower head with a couple of settings. Bring your own hairdryer, the supplied hairdryer wasn't very powerful. The balcony was a good size furnished with 2 chairs and a chair and had a nice view of the bay.

DINING
They had 4+ restaurants on-site including Cafe Caribe, Pikayo, Eight Noodle Bar and Denny’s. Cafe Caribe and Pikayo were pretty pricey. We ate at Denny’s for breakfast and it was your typical Denny’s, food was okay. We ate at Eight Noodle Bar for dinner and food was pretty good. Service was a little slow.

AMENITIES
Internet
Internet was complimentary and provided by AT&T. Connection was slow getting an average of 0.5Mbps download and 0.7Mbps upload. I preferred using my phone’s LTE connection.

Pool
The hotel had 2 pools and a waterslide by the Ocean tower and one pool by the Lagoon tower. The beach was by the Ocean tower and it was tiny. It was a public beach as well.

Self-serve Laundromat
They had a self-serve laundromat by the Ocean tower with 4 washers and 4 dryers. It cost $2 per wash and $2 per dry. Laundry and softener is included in the price and is dispensed by just pressing on a button.

Beach
Beach was small and public, but well-maintained.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!