“Contemporary and Chic hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

You added The Condado Plaza Hilton to your Saves list
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico (Formerly Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$99 Fall Rates
Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Houston, Texas
“Contemporary and Chic hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Very nice contemporary and chic decoration hotel lobby and room. Keep in mind that most the nicer room and view were located on the ocean side. Make sure to book an ocean view room. I noted that most of negative comments and whining about the hotel were the one that booked on the old wing and facing to the city view.
The services were excellent and couteous staffs. Room are big and nice bathroom with see through standing shower with big closet inside. The bathroom layout is good for couple only!
I rated this hotel right at 4 star and nothing more or less. Why? Because this hotel doesn't have a good beach area for swiming. I wouldn't mind to come back to this hotel again ( of course...ocean view room). My other options are: La Concha and Ritz Carton. Both are truly 4.5 star and nice beach. Remember, both of these hotel are slightly higher price than the Conrad. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
Virgin Gorda
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza is an "okay" hotel.
My husband and I stayed here as we were catching a flight to home, British Virgin Islands.
I made it to the hotel before him after travelling for 20 hours. As one can imagine I was extremely tired when I made it to the hotel. Unfortunately when I arrived via taxi there was no one to help me with my bags. I opened the heavy entrance door myself and carried my own luggage. I went to the FD to check in. There were 3 ladies at the FD who did not see me as they were talking between each other. I waited more than a minute for them to acknowledge the fact that I am waiting to be helped. I guess one of them came from a lunch break and was saying hello to the other girls. When I approached them they acted like I disturbed them. Instead of welcoming me or a simple "good evening" I was asked "checking in?"..
After we established the payment part I had to ask for help with my bags as there was no bellman in sight. The lady at the FD did not even acknowledge the fact that I need help with 3 bags that I was trying to carry myself.
After I asked for a bellman the lady at the FD shouted to a gentleman over at the door to help me. He came and got my luggage. There was no proper introduction between me and the bellman. As a result he walked me to the wrong elevator. She did not inform him of my name and or room number. He was walking with me without knowing where we are going. We had to come back down (to the mezzanine level, where the casino is) and change elevators.

Our room was spacious but I would not call it clean. We stayed in 818. The bathroom floor had several stains and hair on it. However the bed was very comfortable with clean sheets.
The Starbucks at the entrance of the hotel is very convenient.
It is a $17.00 ride from the airport. Also they charge $1/bag additional.
They offer free internet that does not work very well. However I guess that this is an issue throughout the island more so than the hotel itself.
The hotel has a nice restaurant overlooking to the ocean with a simple menu. The service at the restaurant was efficient.
The hotel has 2 sides. We were told that the second side used to be a different hotel and a couple of years ago Conrad took over the other one.
One thing to note is that if you are staying in the "other hotel" side your room maybe pretty far from the Front Desk/Check In area. You may end up walking to the lobby quite a bit.

The only person who truly helped us (and provided great customer service) was the doorman Ceaser at the door. On the day of departure he assisted us with getting a taxi and luggage. He was the only person who called us with our name during our stay.

If you are expecting a hotel with great customer service, name recognition and luxury amenities this is not a place to stay.
It offers a bed to sleep and a Starbucks to get your a good cup of coffee.

Room Tip: Big hotel. One must mention if they want to be close to the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
EdgardoL, Front Office Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Ms AyslceBB:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments concerning your stay at the Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza Hotel & Casino. As Director of Front Office Operations it is very important that we receive feedback from our guests, and I greatly appreciate your comments.

I was very sorry to hear about the problems that you incurred during your check in while staying with us. I will like to offer my personal apology for our mistakes and pledge to you my commitment in making the necessary changes to ensure that service throughout the hotel is of the highest standard.

Again, my apologies as well as my thanks for your very valuable feedback. I very much appreciate your time and hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

With kindest regards,

Edgardo L De Jesus
Director Of Front Office Operations
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at Conrad twice. My first stay was good - a lagoon view room was nice and aside from a water from the shower leaking onto the floor had no problems. When my family came along to join me after my business trip we decided to stay but moved to a family suite.
What a diappointment!!!
All their suites are facing the other tower on a noisy street with taxis, busses and trucks parked at the hotel and running their engines, so if you don't like noise - don't stay there. Some amenities were not working (microwave and one of two phones) and were not fixed after I notified the front desk.
We also had a pretty bad experience in the hotel cafe. A shrimp salad in the Cafe Caribe was not fresh - smelled bad. I have to give it to the staff that they didn't charge us for it but the fact that they served smelly shrimp - well, you get the point.

Room Tip: Don't choose a family suite!!! "City view" is a euphemism for it'll be on a noisy...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Alex N,

Thank you for taking the time leave feedback on your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your first room with us and apologize for the issues you encountered in your family suite. I have informed our maintenance team of the inoperable microwave and telephone and they are currently repairing or replacing the items. We are always on the lookout for any type of problem to ensure that the issue does not recur, and I regret any inconvenience they caused during your stay. Please accept our apology for the noise disruption from the street below. We know how important a peaceful atmosphere is while vacationing and we are sorry this was not your experience. Thank you again for your review, and I invite you to stay with us again and experience the level of quality service and amenities you expect from us the next time you return to the area.

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Room, view, and service was Excellent. Located in the heart of San Juan on the beach. We had an ocean view. The hotel is loaded with several amenities, including 3 pools, and jacuzzi, a casino and 4 different restaurants. My boyfriend flew us here as a surprise for my 25th birthday. I'm so lucky, but enough about me. We ate at the cafe in the hotel the first night, I had the chicken with rice and beans. During the day we laid in the hammocks, sipped coladas at the bar in the pool, and enjoyed a couples massage by the beach. This was a very memorable trip and one I am not soon to forget.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Leah K,

Happy Belated Birthday!!

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay at our property. I am glad that the room, the view, and most importantly, our service, was excellent; this makes me very proud of my beloved team members. I am very pleased to hear that you and your boyfriend had a memorable stay with us.

Please, let me know should you plan to visit us again in the near future!

NEW YORK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

There are two sides of this hotel, we stayed on the ocean side, which I think has better rooms, in an upper floor ocean view room. We found the staff to be very helpful when we were stuck at the hotel by hurricane Sandy. They graciously extended our stay at a reasonable rate and everyone kept asking about our family at home. We found the room to be clean, although the bed was uncomfortable and too soft for our backs. We were not charged for anything other than our room and taxes. The housekeeping staff promptly left everything we asked for. The Cafe Caribe was "okay" for breakfast but believe me the Denny's was disgusting!!! I am a very small eater and the waite staff was very accommodating by letting me order from the "add on" menu (1 pancake) or share my husbands breakfast.

Room Tip: high floor has better view of ocean.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My first trip to the enchanted island was during the elections and was full of the merriment and celebration that only the carribean islanders can bring. While I am still here soaking in the sun at the beach adjacent to the property I regret that I have to spend the early part of the day at the office doing business. It is the cost of the trip being that I must first work before I can play. However, as the day matures, I find myself walking along the calle that borders the ocean and can hear the thunderous roar of the waves crashing against the rock that runs along the shorline. The sounds are only temporaily drowned out by the wonderful carribean music and multitudes of people enjoying one anothers' company in conversation. My room overlooks the lagoon from the seventh floor and is quite latin in decor. Tile floor from wall to wall. Fully enclosed glass shower, balcony with two comfortable chairs and coffee table. Sitting area by the wall to ceiling patio glass. Everything in this design seems to invite the dweller outside. I couldn't imagine just staying indoors for any more time than is necessary to change into some nice, comfortable clothing and mingle with both the tourists and locals that apparently don't know that Monday nights are work nights. They seem oblivious that work is only a few hours away as they socialize together, walk along the calle, sit along the beach, and enjoy the temperate evenings along the seaside of this truly enchanted island. The hotel has much to offer especially if you are truly dedicated to maintaining that body you have worked hard to achieve as their gym is the most well equipped among any hotels I have stayed at. Modern natlius and free weights, multiple treadmills, a spacious area to do calisthenics, dry sauna, showers (5), massage rooms, and indoor whirlpool. It is apparent that the locals are very health concious as you stroll down the main road and have to share it with numerous runners. To find an overweight person you will have to look only in the mirror as the people here are pictures of health and vitality. This stay has been, thus far, very therapuetic and I recommend staying at this hotel if you are a Hilton Honors member. The higher the floor you choose increases the panoramic view offered both seaside and lagoon side so choose wisely! There are unfortunately no microwaves in the room but they have compensated by offering numerous restaurants in the hotel, delicious menus for room service, and a plethora of dining choices to offer are waiting just outside the doors of this hotel. Overall, the hotel and room were not the highest class I have come to associate with the Hilton chain but I have not visited any of the other hotels in this area. There are too many to count right next to one another so I am sure that luxury is everywhere. At this hotel the offerings compensate for where the rooms left off. If you are visiting for the first time then this will be a good choice to spend your money as it was very inexpensive for what I thought was a wonderful stay in such a prime location. And the benefits of having such a view, breakfast (complete) and dinner/beverages ($20 voucher) made me forget that last week I stayed in an Embassy Suites with two rooms and atrium view in Miami for less money.

Room Tip: If you like a breathtaking view of the nightlife then choose the lagoon side. If the sound of the oc...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Long Island, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We are 4 easy-going adults that travel together often. We were here for pre-cruise stay and for $250+ per night, we expected a clean room, good service and nice amenities. We were very disappointed, which is too bad because this is an attractive hotel. Every single employee we encountered was apathetic and unprofessional. Your complaints will be answered with a dead eye stare and a mumbled "we are so sorry blah, blah blah" but NOTHING will be done to correct the situation.

We were nickel and dimed with ridiculous fees that were not on the original confirmation. I knew about sales tax and added resort fees but where did the rest come from. Fees for the non-existent maid service, portage, etc. We carried our own bags upstairs. At the end of our stay we carried our own bags down in the service elevator because the regular elevators were broken. Despite this, a $21 portage fee was added to our final bill which I will dispute with my credit card company.

There were only 2 towels for 4 people in the bathroom despite 4 trips to the front desk to complain, I ended up helping myself from the maids cart. The phone in the room did not work and was not repaired during our stay.

The walls are exceptionally thin and you can hear every word spoken from the room next door. The bathroom is huge but has flimsy sliding doors that kept falling out of the track and a see though glass shower in the center. So forget about any privacy.

The hotel has NO beach, there is a PUBLIC beach that is on the side of a road next to a busy bridge. The pool area was filthy with a lot of debris floating in the water and the trees kept dropping large nuts on our heads, so beware if you sit in the lounge chairs.

There is a Starbucks next door but they had no decaf coffee which was odd. We had breakfast in the cafe caribe but should have gone to the Denny's across the street instead, it was the same quality.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear AFMomLongIsland_NY,

Thank you for staying with us in preparation for your cruise and for taking the time to share feedback on your recent visit. Our smart luxury brand promise rests on our ability to provide value for our guests, and we are always working to ensure that our pricing is in line with the quality of the guest experience. We are sorry to hear you felt our pricing was disproportionate to our value and we welcome you to contact me directly to further discuss your experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us, and we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. I will share your comments with our Front Office, as well as with our Management Team. We hope that next time you are in the area, you will consider staying with us again and enjoying all the luxury amenities you expect and deserve from our hotel.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!