“accommodating” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

You added The Condado Plaza Hilton to your Saves list
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico (Formerly Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$100 Credit and Breakfast
Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
NEW YORK
“accommodating”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

There are two sides of this hotel, we stayed on the ocean side, which I think has better rooms, in an upper floor ocean view room. We found the staff to be very helpful when we were stuck at the hotel by hurricane Sandy. They graciously extended our stay at a reasonable rate and everyone kept asking about our family at home. We found the room to be clean, although the bed was uncomfortable and too soft for our backs. We were not charged for anything other than our room and taxes. The housekeeping staff promptly left everything we asked for. The Cafe Caribe was "okay" for breakfast but believe me the Denny's was disgusting!!! I am a very small eater and the waite staff was very accommodating by letting me order from the "add on" menu (1 pancake) or share my husbands breakfast.

Room Tip: high floor has better view of ocean.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (695)
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My first trip to the enchanted island was during the elections and was full of the merriment and celebration that only the carribean islanders can bring. While I am still here soaking in the sun at the beach adjacent to the property I regret that I have to spend the early part of the day at the office doing business. It is the cost of the trip being that I must first work before I can play. However, as the day matures, I find myself walking along the calle that borders the ocean and can hear the thunderous roar of the waves crashing against the rock that runs along the shorline. The sounds are only temporaily drowned out by the wonderful carribean music and multitudes of people enjoying one anothers' company in conversation. My room overlooks the lagoon from the seventh floor and is quite latin in decor. Tile floor from wall to wall. Fully enclosed glass shower, balcony with two comfortable chairs and coffee table. Sitting area by the wall to ceiling patio glass. Everything in this design seems to invite the dweller outside. I couldn't imagine just staying indoors for any more time than is necessary to change into some nice, comfortable clothing and mingle with both the tourists and locals that apparently don't know that Monday nights are work nights. They seem oblivious that work is only a few hours away as they socialize together, walk along the calle, sit along the beach, and enjoy the temperate evenings along the seaside of this truly enchanted island. The hotel has much to offer especially if you are truly dedicated to maintaining that body you have worked hard to achieve as their gym is the most well equipped among any hotels I have stayed at. Modern natlius and free weights, multiple treadmills, a spacious area to do calisthenics, dry sauna, showers (5), massage rooms, and indoor whirlpool. It is apparent that the locals are very health concious as you stroll down the main road and have to share it with numerous runners. To find an overweight person you will have to look only in the mirror as the people here are pictures of health and vitality. This stay has been, thus far, very therapuetic and I recommend staying at this hotel if you are a Hilton Honors member. The higher the floor you choose increases the panoramic view offered both seaside and lagoon side so choose wisely! There are unfortunately no microwaves in the room but they have compensated by offering numerous restaurants in the hotel, delicious menus for room service, and a plethora of dining choices to offer are waiting just outside the doors of this hotel. Overall, the hotel and room were not the highest class I have come to associate with the Hilton chain but I have not visited any of the other hotels in this area. There are too many to count right next to one another so I am sure that luxury is everywhere. At this hotel the offerings compensate for where the rooms left off. If you are visiting for the first time then this will be a good choice to spend your money as it was very inexpensive for what I thought was a wonderful stay in such a prime location. And the benefits of having such a view, breakfast (complete) and dinner/beverages ($20 voucher) made me forget that last week I stayed in an Embassy Suites with two rooms and atrium view in Miami for less money.

Room Tip: If you like a breathtaking view of the nightlife then choose the lagoon side. If the sound of the oc...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Long Island, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We are 4 easy-going adults that travel together often. We were here for pre-cruise stay and for $250+ per night, we expected a clean room, good service and nice amenities. We were very disappointed, which is too bad because this is an attractive hotel. Every single employee we encountered was apathetic and unprofessional. Your complaints will be answered with a dead eye stare and a mumbled "we are so sorry blah, blah blah" but NOTHING will be done to correct the situation.

We were nickel and dimed with ridiculous fees that were not on the original confirmation. I knew about sales tax and added resort fees but where did the rest come from. Fees for the non-existent maid service, portage, etc. We carried our own bags upstairs. At the end of our stay we carried our own bags down in the service elevator because the regular elevators were broken. Despite this, a $21 portage fee was added to our final bill which I will dispute with my credit card company.

There were only 2 towels for 4 people in the bathroom despite 4 trips to the front desk to complain, I ended up helping myself from the maids cart. The phone in the room did not work and was not repaired during our stay.

The walls are exceptionally thin and you can hear every word spoken from the room next door. The bathroom is huge but has flimsy sliding doors that kept falling out of the track and a see though glass shower in the center. So forget about any privacy.

The hotel has NO beach, there is a PUBLIC beach that is on the side of a road next to a busy bridge. The pool area was filthy with a lot of debris floating in the water and the trees kept dropping large nuts on our heads, so beware if you sit in the lounge chairs.

There is a Starbucks next door but they had no decaf coffee which was odd. We had breakfast in the cafe caribe but should have gone to the Denny's across the street instead, it was the same quality.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear AFMomLongIsland_NY,

Thank you for staying with us in preparation for your cruise and for taking the time to share feedback on your recent visit. Our smart luxury brand promise rests on our ability to provide value for our guests, and we are always working to ensure that our pricing is in line with the quality of the guest experience. We are sorry to hear you felt our pricing was disproportionate to our value and we welcome you to contact me directly to further discuss your experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us, and we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. I will share your comments with our Front Office, as well as with our Management Team. We hope that next time you are in the area, you will consider staying with us again and enjoying all the luxury amenities you expect and deserve from our hotel.

Fayetteville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The bottled water they leave in the room is $7.00 for a 16 once water. They dont tell you it cost $16.00 a day to park at the hotel, They require a $150.00 dollar deposit upon check in and that the rooms are out dated and really dirty. My wife and I stayed there in October 2012, while we were in San Juan she bought a white dress that she fell in love with at a store called Havana Whites . The first day she wore the dress we decided to take some pictures at the beach. On the way there we took the esculator where her dress was caught and destroyed by the esculator. The manager Victor sent the dress to get cleaned and it was returned to us damaged beyond repair. The esculators do not have the safety brush strips that are required by law here in the states, so anything that gets close to the edge runs a risk of getting snagged. They evidently feel they have no responsibility or liability over the condition of thier hotel or safety of thier guest. So with this being said I would not recommend anyone to visit this death trap due to the lack of acountability of the hotel.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else ... The bathroom door was broken too.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Papahrico,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback on your recent stay with us in San Juan. We want you to know that the comments we receive from our guests are taken very seriously. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the damage to your wife’s dress; we tried our best remedying the situation by sending the dress on two occasions to the laundry at our cost. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me at michelle.burn@conradhotels.com.

Westchester, N.Y
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at this resort from 8/16/2012-8/19/2012 as a package deal we purchase from JetBlue. We got what we paid for when look for CHEAP deal that's exactly what you get the bathroom ceiling over the shower was wet from a leak from the room above moldy smell . It look like this was going on for a long time, I went down to check in desk and show them the picture I took. I request a room change I was informed that I couldn't move until their Enginer examined it whow I was suprise the Enginer told them them the bathroom ceiling was in terrible condition I can't stay there. The picture I took wasn't good enough for them. They told me they didn't have any available room to move us we have to wait till tomorrow after 4pm. We where exhausted from a delayed flight so we opt to stay. The next day I had to keep checking to see if they had a room for us. The food in the restaurant was lousy poor entertainment. The beach LOUSY we had to go to beach at La Concha. Oh they I mentioned the room was infested with ants. Don't waist your time in going to that hotel it's a pity it's name after Conrad Hilton. It maybe part of the Hilton chain it's far from that . This hotel has of potentials management doesn't seem to know how to run it. Run for your life don't stay there.

• Stayed August 2012
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear michousb,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your honest feedback about your guest room and apologize for the condition in which you found it. We are dedicated to providing our guests with surroundings as stylish and sophisticated as they are, and I apologize we did not meet your expectations this trip. Please know that our Engineering Team worked promptly to correct the issue with your shower.

We hope to have another opportunity to serve you and show you the quality you expect from our brand, if your travels bring you back to our area in the future.

puerto rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has every thing you need, 24hour casino,24hour restaurant and 24hour pool area. The hotel has a couple of bars that open till late in the main lobby, perfect for a getaway and family oriented too

• Stayed May 2012
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed at Conrad for 5 night.During our stay,all the staff we encountered was not very helpful.RoomsOK,nothing to write home about.From desk clerks to valet attandant were not helpful.Our rooms were not cleaned till very late in the afternoon.Will never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!