“central location and good information” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Iberia
1464 Wilson Street, San Juan, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #36 of 46 hotels in San Juan
Willemstad, Curacao
“central location and good information”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

For the $100 price the room was OK, but one double, $10 extra got us a room with two doubles. Done within 10 minutes. Not many guests, no breakfast room or service. But 24h supermarket next door. Location is very central. Many restaurants in Ashford road, Beaches close by and even a 7k walk to Old San Juan is a nice experience.
Staff very helpfull with information, route to attractions, helping out finding best price for carrental (they called at least 5 rentals), got taxi's and so on.
Parking right next to front door every night!
Perfect for the money!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Showed up early and the door was locked. There was a sign that said ring the bell. I did that several times and got no response... I then walked around the building to see if there was another door. No such luck. Since I was earlier than 3pm I went to the beach for a fewhours then came back after 3pm. After 3pm I had the same response... meaning no response. So I went looking for another room. Even had a woman at the front desk of another hotel call Hotel Iberia and there was NO ANSWER. After several attemps, I did end up with a room at the Coral Princess Hotel. Much nicer and a bit more expensive but at least they let me in the door.
I am still waiting to see if Hotel Iberia tries to charge me for a room I had no access too...

Room Tip: Don't book here! Try The Coral Princess Hotel or anywhere else.
Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Redwood City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

The staff was friendly and genuine and took a lot of time to explain the area, things to do, how to get around, and even some history. Everyone working there seemed to enjoy their job and I felt safe and at home. The reception was available all night, just in case anything happened.

The staff clearly put effort into making the rooms comfortable - the room smelled very clean upon arrival, the air conditioning had been turned on to cool the room down, towels were replaced and beds were made each day, and they even folded some of our laundry. Unfortunately this did not make up for the poor physical condition of the room. The tiles were stained, the mirror was corroded, and most annoyingly the water took 10-15 minutes to get "hot".

Location was mediocre - there was a nice plaza/beach within walking distance, and a supermarket across the street, but you still have to drive to Old San Juan.

This hotel was very reminiscent of the guest houses you will find in SE Asia for $10-15 per night; unfortunately the cost here is >$100 per night so the quality is a little disappointing. That said, it was still $40 cheaper than anything else in San Juan at the time of booking so I can't complain too much.

Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I would definitely stay at Hotel Iberia again. The first reason why is the staff. From the moment we walked in the door, they were nothing but helpful and friendly. They were informative, offered suggestions on where to go, where to eat, etc etc. The second reason is the charm of the hotel. The lobby is just...cute. And the rest of the hotel definitely has charm. It's an old building; don't expect anything modern. But the AC in our room worked great, and we had a nice flat screen TV mounted on the wall. The room was a little sparse, but had everything we needed.
Hotel was pretty easy to find (with directions) and a nice location. I would stay again!

St. Thomas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

We used this as "base camp" for our explorations of PR. It was great! The staff are very nice and the location is within walking distance of Ashford Ave (food, night life, people watching, the Hagen Daz store, shopping, etc).
They also have parking for rental cars and a grocery store next door.
The rooms were as to be expected, but very clean. We would stay again!

Room Tip: Be sure to let them know exactly how many people are in your group, otherwise, you might end up shar...
Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed here three nights. Christopher and the rest of the staff were wonderful. Christopher went beyond the call of duty by going to the beach to recover my lost cell phone from the police. It was waiting for us at the front desk when we returned -- before we even realized it was missing. He has was full of advice on where to go and how to get around.

The room was small and a little noisy from traffic and people in the hallway. The AC worked great but it was too loud to try run while sleeping. The bathroom fan was very loud too. The mattress seemed a little broken down. As other reviews have indicated, the roof top terrace is nice but it seems like they are not taking advantage of its potential as a place for guests to have breakfast or drinks. Also agree with others that the hotel's location makes it a little isolated from where the action is at the beach and dining spots --two long blocks to the north. If I was returning to Condado I would likely upgrade to one of the small inns closer to the water.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

When I stay at a hotel oozing with mediocrity, I want the staff to be rude, so I don't feel so guilty criticizing the place. Unfortunately this was not the case at Hotel Iberia. The staff was exceptionally nice. The owner Christopher was a complete gentleman. He was kind, helpful, and spent a significant amount of time giving me directions to get around and helping me plan my itinerary. I really liked the location as well. It was surrounded by nice houses in Condado, and not a terribly far walk to the beach (roughly 10 minutes). The 24hr grocery store next door was nice too. Also we left something in the hotel and the staff called me and left me a message as soon as it was discovered.
Unfortunately, the hotel was a very budget hotel for not a very budget price. If I were paying half the price, I would not mind the old outdated furniture, the dankness, and the cheap linens. However, at over $120 for a double for a US hotel, you except at least a little quality. I know Condado is not cheap, and I know $100 isn't tons of money for a hotel, but there are a few basics that should be provided. We never had hot water during the stay, the water pressure was horrible, and it would take 45 minutes for the toilet tank to get refilled before you could flush again. Again, not stuff I would mind if I was staying in a hostel or paying budget prices. I wouldn't stay here again if there were other options for the same price, but if all the other viable options were over $200 (like it was the weekend I was there), then I'd maybe consider going back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Iberia? Share your experiences!