“Hospitality in paradise!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Hospitality in paradise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The property is beautiful from the minute you drive up to the valet...open air check-in. The staff was friendly, professional and accommodating. Lobby and lobby bar was updated and contemporary.
The outdoor patio was also nicely furnished. Wait staff was friendly and timely. Check out the appetizer menu. Awesome!
The pool, pool bar, and deck seating area was clean and vibrant. The beach was also clean. The beach does have wait staff, but it does take a little longer. Check out the hammock area under the trees for a drink and to relax!
The rooms were accommodating but need some attention to details, finishing work. I was in the main building with a king bed, small patio with an ocean view. Very relaxing and nice.
Housekeeping, and all staff were friendly, professional and timely.
Nice selection of on property restaurants... A Starbucks, another coffee-shop type restaurant for a quick bite of breakfast and sandwiches. There is a full service restaurant offering buffet breakfast, and menu items. It also is open for lunch and dinner, but I did not have anything other than breakfast there.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,029)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We got our hotel deal through CheapCarribean, which frankly, is not very cheap. This is how we landed at the Hilton haven. The hotel is very nice. You enter through an open-air lobby without walls, which had a very island-feel to it. There are a couple of areas on site that house native birds and koi fish too.
The front desk staff were pleasant, as were the concierge staff. Beach staff, well, if I had to work outside in that heat everyday, I'd be a bit grumpy too.
The bedroom was nice enough and was kept very clean each day, even when we did not indicate we'd need towel/sheet changes. The room had a look of being updated around 5 years ago but was a good size and comfortable. The bedding was immaculate, and I intend to find out what pillows Hilton uses, because they are awesome. That said, bedding is very subjective. I can tell you the mattress was on the firm side, which I always prefer. The pillows however, had a lot of give and were definitely some kind of down, or down fill. Bathroom had room to move around and two sinks/mirrors which is a nice amenity. We also had our own balcony, which is standard. Our view was not the best- the neighboring parking lot. That's probably due to the rate we paid through the online site.

The resort is an impressive size, with several of its own restaurants, two pools and a pool bar, an indoor bar and open seating area near the lobby, several conference rooms/suites and several towers. Finally, there is a small private beach area that my husband and I used each day. This was our first time on a resort, so I lack experience to give a true review. But, as a first-timer I very much appreciated the convenience of leaving our hotel room to pop downstairs onto our own little beach, complete with beach towels and chairs. The folks who put in the umbrellas did so reluctantly. -Felt badly asking, but, that's why the hotel lovingly charges an 18% convenience fee on the total stay. Yes. You heard it here! We were not given this fine print when booking through CheapCaribbean, so buyer beware.

The restaurants were very overpriced for what they offered food-wise. As my husband and I like to venture out, we were encouraged to find out what San Juan holds outside of resort central. There are awesome restaurants within walking distance, including Pelayo…check out my review there under same name. One night when we were feeling lazy we went to Fogo De Chao, which is on the resort compound. Wonderful staff/service and great concept and food, but wow is it expensive! We live in Boston and this was the most I'd ever spent on a meal for two people at 150+ tip.

Hotel is walking distance to Old San Juan and Condado area (each logging about 1.5-2 miles), but where it gets very warm it helps to take a taxi one way. Taxis are easy to access via front lobby area and around town.

Car rental places nearby make for convenient day-trip plans.

Overall, a nice stay, and probably great for folks with families/large groups of people who like resorts.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Boynton Beach, Fla.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We spent 1 night at the Caribe Hilton before our cruise and found it to a "grand dame " of hotels in Puerto Rico. Check in was quick and easy, and we were given a lovely updated king room in the main building with an ocean view. The air conditioning worked well. We were welcomed back as Hilton Honors members and the bellman delivered our bags to our room efficiently.
The hotel has aged throughout its long life and needs TLC.
The open air lobby is quite warm, with many surrounding restaurants including Starbucks and Quiznos. We had dinner in the Italian restaurant which was adequate.
The staff was friendly and helpful. It's easy to get a wi fi connection , but it is free for only 24 Hrs which suited our needs.
The grounds are beautiful, the pool and beach area appealing.
The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom nicely appointed.
We did not use many of the facilities, since we're were only there for only a day.
It was an easy cab ride from the airport at the cost of $24.
Quick, easy cab ride to the pier to meet our ship.
We would probably stay there again in the future, but not for an extended period of time.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
St. John's, Antigua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The rooms were really nice and the bathroom quite spacious. I had a view of the ocean and Old San Juan - gorgeous. The staff was quite helpful despite the numerous conferences and activities happening while I was there. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Lexington, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed at Hilton Caribe for April break. This was our very fist time choosing the Hilton brand. Our check in was very fast. We asked for a ocean view room, got accommodated in HHonors Tower, and were let down by the beaten look of the room. The rug looked grimy, the room had a lousy paint job, and the bathroom was oddly planned. But there are many positives, too. The beds were extremely comfortable, with first class sheets and very good mattresses. The bathroom had two sinks, and what I really appreciated, a real handheld hairdryer. The premises of the hotel were beautiful. The open view lobby just draw us out to the view of the ocean. The pool area, bars, beach with plenty of chairs and hammocks were designed with great consideration. Not too much walking was needed, it was almost compacted but not really. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel restaurants, because it was quiet pricey. Why to pay if you have Starbucks right down in the lobby? We have ordered food and at the bar by the pool area. The food was priced right and my daughter had the best quesedillas ever. One night we treated ourselves to Morton's Steakhouse. Great service, good selection, and decent steak. All the dinner sides were a la carte. The concierge was very helpful with planning our trips and helping us get a rental car. Over all I have come to a conclusion that Hilton staff is very well trained. We never heard saying no. If there was not car rental available they would recommend another place down the street. When we did not like our room location, they gave us another room, when we decided to go on a zip lining trip at the last minute, they made sure we got there.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Hello! thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience. We hope you had a great stay and appreciate your candor. Hope you visit us again in the near future

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Look no further! The Caribe Hilton provided my family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children ages 10 and 13) with a wonderful, beautiful, relaxing and first class hotel to enjoy our vacation to Puerto Rico. Here are all the reasons we LOVE this hotel and will definitely return.

Beach Area: The beach is clean and the water is calm. It is ideal for families who want to experience water sports in a safe environment. You can rent kayaks, paddleboard, snuba, and snorkel right on the beach without leaving the hotel. The snorkel and snuba is run by Aqua Adventure. My girls enjoyed kayaking by the beach. There are plenty of lounge chairs right on the beach - perfect for anyone who wants to relax and be right next to your children when they build sand castles or swim. Ideal for families with young children!

Pools: There are a variety of pool areas. We loved the main pool with a swim up bar area. The pools were clean and warm. There was always a place to sit around the pool (and we were there during spring break).

Activities: The Hotel has acitvities scheduled during the day such as pina colada tasting or hula hooping contests for kids. They have a board that tells us the schedule for the day.

Amenities: In general, the hotel is very well maintained. The lounge chairs were all clean and looked new. There were always plenty of towels. There are plenty of areas that are shaded if you prefer. My girls loved the hammocks they had by the water. The property is big and landscaped beautifully. One side of the hotel has swams, peacocks, ducks, etc. We saw many children visiting the animals.

Food: Our room included breakfast. There are several options of where to dine while there. A Starbucks, a continential breakfast area (with or without hot options - your choice) and a full service grand buffet. The hotel recently reopened it's lobby bar - the Caribar. We ate there one night outside by the pool. They are happy to serve children typical kids' fare but you can also find things for them on the regular menu. The food was modern Puerto Rican. We love the hummus/quinoa,flatbread, yucca fries, arepas and shrimp coctail. The service was excellent and the food very tasty. Also the prices were reasonable for a hotel restaurant. If you eat outside your children can take a break on the grassy area within your sight and give you a chance to have a romantic dinner.

Cabana: For $100 you can rent a cabana. This can be a great deal - it includes one hour of watersports, a beautiful fruit platter, waters, 2 lounge chairs, and a comfortable shaded cabana. The cabanas easily fit a family or 4 to 6 people.

Hotel rooms: We stayed in a suite. We enjoyed the room and thought it was top notch. Everything was immaculate and in working order. We were in the HiltonHonors tower. The views from the tower were outstanding. A perfect place to watch the sunset and sunrise.

Staff: All of the staff we met were helpful and wanted to please.

Lobby: The lobby is open air and has the feel of a tropical hotel. There are parrots in the lobby and flavored water. The Lobby also has big screen televisions and a huge bar. Since the pina colada was invented here, the lobby bar serves pina coladas through the ages. Very creative.

Parking: There is valet parking which was prompt. There is also self parking across from the hotel.

Location: The hotel is a few minutes drive from Old San Juan. We had a car and used it often. Besides the restaurants in the hotel including Palmeras, Morton's Steak House, a Quiznos, Cafe Atlantico by the pool (with a swim up bar), Caribar, It Tratorria Italian, Lemongrass Panasian, and the Pina Colada Club, a few minutes walk takes you to a new shopping area with more food choices such as Blue Martini and Rosa Mexicano. You can spend days relaxing at this hotel and not have to leave the property! You can also taxi downtown and not need a car. Since we took day trips to zipline and snorkel, we loved having a car.

We loved our stay and will definitely return. General Manager Nelson Torres, Assistant Manager Pablo Torres, and the rest of the staff make this location a stand out among our many travels around the world.

Room Tip: The views from high up and fabulous!
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Hello! thank you so much for choosing us for your family vacation and for sharing your comments. We are delighted to hear that you and your family had a great stay and please let us know when you are ready to visit us again!

We are at your service,

Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I'll say the same thing that others have said over and over again. Hello Hilton managers, you really need to update your rooms in Hilton Honors Tower. I got a upper floor room with a great view. It's the view that made my stay tolerable; everything else was just old, stinky, filthy, and disgusting. A few days later I stayed at a mid-price hotel in the United States and I could see the difference between my stay there and my previous stay in Puerto Rico where I paid three times more. My trip to Puerto Rico was paid by my employer but if I had to spend my own money for a vacation in San Juan, I'll do my research and stay away from hotels like Carribe Hilton. I'm not saying it's a bad hotel but if you want that clean and fresh feeling when you're next to the ocean, I'm sure there are better places in San Juan.

Room Tip: Ask for a cleaner room with a view
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property during your recent stay. I’m very sorry to hear that our property and guest room amenities did not meet the expectations that you had of us. We do appreciate your feedback and will use it in an effort to better our hotel for the future. I welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share and I hope you will try our hotel again in the future.

Nelson Torres Hotel Manager

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!