“Massive beautiful resort” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Tortola
“Massive beautiful resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The hotel is beautiful with well appointed rooms and good amenities. Check in was smooth and all staff I dealt with during my stay were friendly and helpful. Yes, there was one elevator not working up to the main tower but the short wait each time was not that bad, you're on vacation after all so relax!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,036)
  • Polish first
Tampa, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

In town on business. Was put in the tower. Old and run down - hallway carpets stained and smelly - elevators out of service - room okay - great view - good breakfast. Suggest you take a look at some of the other close by hotels, (Conrad at Condado Plaza, La Concha, etc.)

Room Tip: Not in the tower until they renovate it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

After reading review on Trip Advisor I knew what to expect. But in some areas my expectations were exceeded and for others I was not prepared.

The Caribe Hilton became my hotel of choice for our weekend stay before we left for the cruise.

The service was great. Every staff member I meet was very helpful and very professional. We arrived 4 hours before checkin. Before our arrival I informed the hotel I wanted to stay in the Main hotel, not the Towers. It was not noted and the hotel had my room in the towers. Ok no problem. I asked if I could see a room in both main hotel and the towers. They were accommodating. The view from the towers was breathtaking but I could not deal with the moldy smell from the hallway. The rooms in the main hotel was better and with also a great view. I used my corporate discount so continental breakfast was included but if you wanted an omelet or any of the "hot dishes" it was an additional $8 per person. Not that serious. But I don't think the breakfast is worth $26 bucks. IMO.

The lobby was well maintained it has a few talking parrots, cute, water with fresh fruit if arriving during a week day.

The pool area was beautiful. There is a bar area where you can sit at the bar while in the pool which was quite relaxing. There is a large round area which overlooks the water, the couches in that area were not well kept so bring a towel or something to place on it but was relaxing. One of my favorite spots. The hammocks were cool, my two children and I laid on it and enjoyed the morning sky.

I have two cons with my experience. 1. The Cabanas were moldy, very disappointing. Especially if you are charging a fee. 2. There were activity charged to my room that were not mine. Although the desk clerk found the slips and fixed it, this was my vacation and wanted to be in the jacuzzi not handling drunk charges to my account. The Caribe Hilton need some system in place to help prevent this from happening or at least not make it so easy. I had a charge for my parked car...ok but I took a taxi from the airport. The clerk told me well it's not our fault, yeah well it was not my fault either. #IJS
(Still a little upset about that as you can hear.)

The game room was cute, a little dark but cute. It's made for kids so who am I to say.

The Business area is beautiful. Again beautiful view.

We visited the Subway which is at the end of the hotel as well as some of the local stores for food/snacks/water, etc. They were all within walking distance.

We were very close to Old San Juan which is a must while in PR.

Even with my two cons, I would definitely stay here again. The grounds are still breathtaking. Once Caribe gets rid of the mold, the hotel will be flawless lol.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We have visited this location two times. The first time was with little problems. Therefore I can only assume the current issues are from management issues or kinks in the present system.

My husband and I arrived in San Juan around 10pm. We arrived at the hotel around 10:45pm after getting our luggage . There were two people ahead of us in line to check in. It took until midnight for us to check in! Even then, the room they were offering us was not even a real room. It was a suite room with the bedroom part cut off. So, my husband and I would have to sleep on a pull out couch for our Anniversary! I have a bad back, so we declined the room and begged for anything with a bed and they could change us to a room with a good view the next day. They finally "found" us a room and we were settling in around 1am.

The next day, we had rented a car to drive the island, but ended up spending another hour waiting for the front desk again. Only to find, that they did not have any room available to their knowledge until after normal check in time, but to check in another two hours. We checked back and still no room. My husband and I did not want to risk losing out on a room change. So,we ended up canceling our car and hanging out at the pool until we get into the new room. We worried because they kept backing down on their promise for a good room and wanted to stick us anywhere that opened up. At this point, we wanted what we were promised for our trouble.

It was not until 5pm that we got into the new room. We had wasted half our day in line at the front desk and listened to many upset guests. A couple guests were going to switch hotels. My husband and I decided to stay because we love the view and private beach at Caribe. Once we were in the new room, our stay was pleasant. As long as we didn't need the front desk, we were okay. They also seemed short staffed at their lobby restaurant . We ended up eating out more than last visit.

If management reads this. I do not usually complain. We often write good letters about outstanding service to the hotel companies. I will not be writing any good service letters this time and probably will be trying another hotel on our next trip to San Juan. I will check back on reviews though to see if you fix the bad service because we do like the pool, beach, spa, and barracuda area.

Room Tip: Drive around to Isabella and go to Ola Lola. A small pit stop with great drinks and yummy peanut bu...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hilton Caribe with my family before taking a cruise out to San Juan. The lobby and rooms of the hotel are well maintained, the pool and beach area are decent but the beds by the pool and beach look moldy. This is a decent option if you're staying in San Juan

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I went to the Caribe unsure what to expect as most reviews were positive but the negative concerns seemed re occurring.

I went for a girls trip but met up with my sister who was studying abroad nearby. This place is great for friends, families and I think romance also. I enjoyed my trip so much I think I will be going back.

Awesome features :
The beach and pool options are fantastic as well as lounge chair hammock availability.

Piña coladas are delicious will only drink them here now.

Food options while pricey are convenient since they are in the hotel, they save you money on the taxi to anywhere else and the food is actually really delicious at all the restaurants.

Beautiful open lobby with fun shops to poke around in.

Excellent and friendly service, you get the sense the staff really does care.

The gym is nice, the spa has some great products, I enjoyed the water sports available on site I did beach yoga early in the morning I had work I had to do so I used the work conference room

Pretty much if you get out and about and explore this hotel you will most likely be very pleased with your booking

• Stayed March 2013
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your kind comments. It was certainly a pleasure to serve you.

we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. It is our commitment to make the Caribe Hilton the most pleasant and successful hotel in the area.

We look forward to your prompt return. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back.

at your service

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hotel grounds are beautiful. I was worried after reading the reviews. The staff was extremely friendly. We arrived very late and had no trouble having a decent dinner at 12:30 am. We got early the next morning and enjoyed the pools and walked the area. The location is also great. It's close to Old San Juan. It is a great pre-cruise stop!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello there! Thank you for staying with us prior to your cruise.

We appreciate your kind words and it makes us really happy to hear that you had a great time.

thank you again and we look forward to welcome you back soon!

at your service

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!