“Not the Hilton experience we're accustomed to...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Night & $100 Credit
Ranked #18 of 45 Hotels in San Juan
Dayton, Ohio
“Not the Hilton experience we're accustomed to...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We selected this hotel resort for its large ocean side pool and private beach. The private beach and pool are great by the way! That being said, we would opt for a different resort if we were to return to Puerto Rico. Here's what you might want to know...
(1) I booked 2 rooms for my family more than 4 months ahead of time and specifically requested adjoining rooms. We were unpleasantly surprised when checking in to learn that our rooms did not adjoin, and the desk clerk literally argued with me that adjoining only means "on the same floor." Even though she was not the sharpest knife in the drawer, worse was that the hotel never tried to move us into adjoining rooms.
(2) The location of the hotel is also not conducive to walking to nearby restaurants and shopping. You have to have a rental car or take a taxi everywhere you go. If you want to be able to walk to restaurants and shopping, I recommend either Isla Verde or Condado -- in that order. There are hotel restaurants, of course, but you pay a premium for even the simplest of meals. Spaghetti with red sauce was $24 for example; and the breakfast buffet was also $24.
(3) Finally, and this was the icing on the cake for us... We observed locals being let into the property through a side gate. The hotel's beach towel exchange didn't verify guest status at any time during our stay, and as a result the locals that were being let in eventually claimed all of the clean towels as well as all of the poolside chairs, and there were no towels or chairs left for the paying guests. We checked in at 3:00 in the afternoon, and there wasn't a towel or chair available for our family. We found this to be unacceptable. Weekdays were better, but the pool was beyond overcrowded for the entirety of the weekend.
Our room was clean and comfortable with a beautiful view, and the pool and private beach were enjoyable during the weekdays, but we'll stay in Isla Verde if we return to Puerto Rico.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us and I have addressed these issues with our staff.

Again, I apologize for the less than satisfying stay, and we want you to know that we will make the necessary changes. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. We sincerely hope you give us another opportunity to serve you.
Thank you once again for your comments.
Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,070)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The manager at the Caribe Hilton is Glenda Rivera and she is the best Hilton Hotel Manager I have ever worked with. She is very professional, friendly and always able to accomodate my business stay hotel requests. It is because of her efforts and leadership to her hotel staff that I would rate this hotel as one of the best in Puerto Rico. Glenda does an excellent job and sets the standard for Hilton Hotel Service Levels. Although the hotel is older, it is well cared for and its private beach area is unique to other hotels.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hello there! thank you for staying with us and for your kind words. Certainly Glenda is one of our stars!

we are happy to hear that you had a good time. Looking forward to welcome you back

NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had a great time here. We were able to take a quick bus to either Condado or Old San Juan just a block away from the hotel. The lagoon like section of ocean on the property made for easy swimming and there are multiple pools! The Starbucs right in the lobby was perfect since we don't eat a huge breakfast.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your comments. It was certainly a pleasure to serve you. We are happy to hear you had a good time.

looking forward to welcome you back

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed at the Caribe Hilton and we're sad to say that we were very disappointed. We were sold by their lobby, but their rooms need a little updating. The sliding doors in our room that gave way to our balcony, were broken. The handles were very loose (broken) and it was hard to open the door. One of the days I called the concierge to ask for something and they took two hours to deliver what I had asked for. There were many things that were very disappointing to us. We will not stay at the Caribe Hilton again. Beautiful location and views, but their rooms are very disappointing. Forgot to mention that the a/c in the room isn't really that cool. It's more of a dampy temperature. Not to pleasant when you want to relax.

• Stayed July 2013
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your room condition while you visited us recently. Please accept our apologies. I am sharing your comments with our management and rest assured we are taking corrective actions to prevent future guest from experiencing what you did.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you give us the opportunity of serve you in the near future.

Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had an ocean view room in the main hotel. The pools and beach area are really spectacular. Our room was very clean (great housekeeping staff) and the bed was comfortable. We had room service for breakfast one morning, it was excellent. This hotel is in a good central location on the outskirts of Condado. It is just a short 10 minute walk (very safe at night) into Condado from this hotel. Too far to walk into Old San Juan, but can take a cab for $13-15 each way. This adds up, so if you are going in and out of Old San Juan frequently it may be worth it to rent a car. Hotel bar prices were high, but bartender at Tropical Restaurant was great and food there was good too (Try the fish tacos-amazing).

Room Tip: We were happy in the main hotel with an ocean view room.
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at another hotel in San Juan last year. This year we wanted to experience this hotel. He loved animals and from the reviews I knew he would love the animals in the garden and I love resorts, the beach and the sun, so I knew id enjoy that part of it,

Upon arrival @ 3AM we automatically LOVED how the lobby is outside. Its beautiful and different! The people at the front desk were very helpful. We had some trouble finding our room and someone actually walked us to it.

When we got to our room, it was nice. We had a garden view on the first floor. We walked outside to see what it would look like and it was a nice outside area with a table and chairs but if we walked a little further there wasn't much privacy. We would be walking over to the next rooms outside area if we walked that way. We didn't like that too much. Also there was a lot of rust out on the porch. We didn't feel very happy with it so I called the front desk to ask for a new room at the same rate. Right away they moved us up to the same type of room but on the third floor.

We liked our third floor room. The room itself isn't the most modern looking room BUT its nice, comfortable, and clean, which is basically what we need when we stay somewhere. The bathroom I loved There was a hair dryer which worked great and the pressure in the shower was perfect!!! Also very clean!!

Our central air stopped working midway through our trip which was a little annoying but when I called the front desk they sent someone up. The only thing is the maintenance man was a little rude when he did come up. He knocked on our door and I said "coming" and in Spanish he replied "hurry up". He said it in Spanish so I don't know if he thought I understood but I felt it was very rude. Then I was telling him "I think we turned it off and it just needs to be turned on". He definitely ignored me and continued to do other things. He was able to fix it but I didn't like how he acted when servicing us. At least he got the job done and they helped us right away with our issue.

The garden was BEAUTIFUL!!! So relaxing!!! The animals are beautiful and walk around freely which is wonderful to see! We went out there many times! My boyfriend and I were extremely happy with a garden view room! I wouldn't have thought it would be so beautiful!

The pool area is great! I just loved it! I felt so taken care of with the workers walking around taking orders as I laid in the sun. Caribe Hiltons pina coladas and mojitos are delicious and one of a kind! Extraordinary!!!

The beach area is wonderful!!! There was a choice between chairs with umbrellas and with out umbrellas. Absolutely perfect for me who loves to tan and my boyfriend who doesn't like too much sun!

The gym was very nice!!! I loved having a beautiful view of palm trees and water while working out!!! Great selection of machines and weights! Perfect!

The lobby bar Oasis... I LOVED! The bartenders were so nice and helpful and made excellent drinks! We stopped here many times throughout or trip! It was perfect for morning, afternoon, and night if we didn't want to step off the resort.

This hotel is like its own little town. Although we did take a few trips off of the resort (Old San Juan and Ashford St which are 5 min away in either direction in a cab) we felt that our trip would have been just as great if we stayed on the resort the entire time!!!

The restaurants are great!!! We LOVED pina colada club! And the breakfast buffet at IL Giardino La Trattoria was so tastey! And definitely fairly priced.

After reading the reviews on trip advisor I was a little afraid of the "resort fee". They told me it would be 12% of what we paid and we had a package so I wasn't sure of the exact hotel cost. I thought it would be a couple hundred, but it was not bad and including my few drinks I got throughout my trip it was a little over 100. Not bad at all. I don't know why it was on my mind throughout my trip. Next time it wont be.

I like where the hotel is located. There is a subway and little grocery store on the corner so even if you don't want to eat at the hotel restaurants you can get some stuff and keep it in your fridge.

The shops in the hotel are nice although a little pricey! I did buy a few things in one of them though. They are nice to go in and look around. The store workers were very polite.

All in all, we had a great time, and I definitely would mind visiting this hotel again!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello there! thank you for visiting us and for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We would like to apologize for the situation with your room placement upon arrival and for the situation with your A/C. I will share your comments with our Management to take corrective action.

Again, thank you and we look forward to your return!

Morristown, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I stayed at the Caribe in the late '80s on business. It has been transformed into a wonderful, relaxing beach property near the heart of Old San Juan. It was a great get away with an outstanding snorkeling experience and great dinners in old San Juan every night. The staff is splendid, helpful and wonderfully friendly. AND I got a Villa room for $142. Best Value ever.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!