“Great overall experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 46 hotels in San Juan
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
“Great overall experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel is situated on a lovely piece of property although it could use a bit of a 'face lift'. The staff and management are friendly. Jose, the manager, went out of his way to make sure our stay was great. Our room's hot water wasn't working. When the problem wasn't fixed, Jose found us another, much nicer room for the evening. He personally made sure our luggage was swapped to the new room while we enjoyed the pool. He continued to follow-up on our satisfaction. Overall, this is a nice place, good service, great location and beautiful views!

Room Tip: The room we were transferred to in the main building was much nicer and newly renovated. I'm no...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for your comments! I will make sure to send your wonderful note to our star Jose!

We are delighted to hear of your wonderful experience and we look forward to welcome you back soon.

We are at your service

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

3,548 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This hotel is nice for a short visit. The beach isn't very big and there are palm trees everywhere that block the sun. Everyone was crammed into one area. There are exotic birds and lizards along the property which were beautiful. The rooms were nice and staff was nice. It rained a few days when we were there so the employees had board games to keep us busy. It is where the Pina Colada was invented, so their drinks were delicious! It was a nice stay, but we chose other places when we went back. Good for the price.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Rochester, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My extended family stayed here after a cruise to ring in the New Year. The facility is beautiful and the location sublime. You are right on the beach, there is an infinity pool and two hot tubs. They have hammocks scattered in some trees and they have their own beach with two little wooden platforms you can swim out to. They have a lovely pier that juts out into the water where you can see a reef up close and, when lit up, can see the fish (even barracudas!) at night. However, I cannot recommend this hotel and would not stay here again.

The problems began at check in. We are Hilton Honors members who arrived well before the stated check in time of 4:00 (around 12:30 when we got off our cruise ship). In most hotels, the policy is to let you store your things so you can use the facilities while you wait for a room. There were only THREE staff to man the entire front desk for all of the patrons both checking in and checking out of this multihotel resort facility. . We waited over 45 minutes to be served (and this, in the "expedited" Honors queue). We were given a beeper which was supposed to go off when our room was ready and told we could store our bags "with the valet". We walked over to the valet and were told we could put our bags with everyone elses ON THE SIDEWALK WHERE PEOPLE WERE GETTING IN AND OUT OF CABS with no one watching them. They did not offer to put them aside in a separate room. I don't think so..
We decided that my parents would sit with our luggage while we tried to use the facilities. They had an employee checking people that attempted to come onto the grounds and we only had the one beeper for the five of us (no room keys were given). This meant we had to stay together at all times which kind of defeats the purpose. I suggested we go back to the front desk so all seven of us could get some sort of "temporary" guest ID but the line was even longer than when we were waiting. (Still just three people staffing the front desk for a huge hotel). So, only two of us could go out to the grounds at any given time. Finally, at the assigned time of 4pm, we still did not have a room. We waited in line (again) to speak to an agent who stated the room would be ready "soon". At 5:00, after sitting there for almost 5 HOURS, my husband went up to the desk again to be told the room was ready and maybe our beeper wasn't working. I heard multiple guests complaining that their beepers never went off either. Perhaps they are just pacifiers?

I specifically asked for a quiet room away from the elevators. Don't care that much where it is, just that it is quiet. Our room was 5 doors away from the elevator in the Garden Villa area and I felt like I was sleeping in the middle of Grand Central Station. Because the floors were tiled, not carpeted, I could hear every foot step, every conversation and yes, every ding-ding of the elevator bell. Worst of all, our room was at the bottom of a ramp that connected this building to another and there was a constant stream of staff rolling carts with room service, laundry and luggage by our room at all hours of the night and day. Beds and bathrooms were clean and adequate. Although we had a nice view of the bay, our balcony was right on top of a service driveway of some sort and there were trucks trundling by as well as beeping as they backed up at all hours as well, starting very early in the morning.

The prices at the hotel were outrageous. $15 for a hamburger? $9 for a can of beer? $10 for a virgin smoothie? Do yourself a favor, there is a convenience store across the street where you can get a 6 pack of beer for $9 and a Subway where they have "Palau". I very nice native told me that means "broke". It is a rotating special they have weekly where a 6 in sub of their choice is only $2! When we were there, the special was what I would have chosen anyway- the chicken breast-- We were able to feed out entire family of 7 for $14 plus tax.

True, the hotel is not really close to very much but I think it was set up that way because they want you to stay at their resort. Again, if you walk across the street you can catch the bus to Old Town for 50cents pp.

The worst part of this experience was the whole "vibe" of the place. It was completely overcrowded ( I hope because it was holiday season?). The patrons all seemed anxious and in a hurry, like they were aggressively relaxing (!). They have very nice large beds that you can sit on or lay on by the pool. When we first got there, I got a map and sat on the edge of one of these that was unoccupied to plan our evening. Out of nowhere, a woman started screaming at me to get off of this bed, it was HERS, didn't I know she had been up since 6 am so she could reserve it and didn't I see a towel on the GROUND near the corner of this bed? Mind you, she was not using it or even near it. There were wall to wall lounge chairs, I'm talking maybe 6 in apart everywhere--in the wooded area, on the beach, on the walkways. Some were unoccupied--I think there should be some sort of reservation policy--staff could walk around every 30 min and remove towels that are "saving" lounge chairs. When I turned on the TV, I was greeted by the weather forecast--lots of snow? (There are at least 2 stations that are broadcast directly from New York City). With all the hustle, bustle, crowding and rude people I felt like I was in a major city, not on a relaxing Caribbean vacation.

Because we were staying in the Garden Villas, they have their own check out desk. We were the only ones checking out and I think it took me about 30 seconds. If they knew we were going to stay in the Garden Villas why didn't they send us there when we first arrived? We could have safely stored our things and I would have had a much more positive impression. The reason I chose this hotel was that I thought we could relax on a beach without having to drive anywhere. Relaxation was impossible with this many people jammed into one place. For the amount this cost, I expected so much more. Customer service was non-existent. Next time, I'll go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay on the second floor of the Garden Suites near the ramp that goes to the other building...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
LGMarcano, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations. Christmas time, especially New Years is one the busiest days in our resort running 100% occupancy in a 900+ room hotel. Every Hotel in island is busy during this time. We can understand prices in our resorts are not at the same level as they are out in the street; however, we are on line with hotel prices in our island. Our culinary team strives to provide delicious local as well as classic American dishes at affordable prices

I apologize for the room assignment and delay. I am sure our staff assigns rooms based on request and availability of such. Perhaps been that we were sold out we were not able to accommodate your request. We were glad to host you upon your cruise return and hope you will consider staying with us again should you return to the area in the future.

Regards,
Stevens, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is a very nice place on the ocean side to vacation. Why would this hotel charge $7.95 a day for internet, $7.00 for a piece of fruit and $8.00 for a cup of coffee after spending &17.00 for breakfast?

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side are the best ocean views. Go to old San Juan for some of your meals and save...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Metairie, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

View is fantastic, room service superb and correct order! Beds are to die for...hated to get out ! I don't think you can get a room with a bad view. Beach is comfortable with multiple amenities, including hammocks, towels, restaurants and bar. If you can't be comfortable here, you just can't be satisfied. Staff is fantastic and courteous....cannot be helpful enough without hovering ! Would highly recommend !

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Our room in the villas wing was musty smelling with visible scratches on the entire length of the wall. Internet service was wired, not wireless, and was s----l----o----w. While the breakfast and other dining options were above average the service in the bar was slow and inattentive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed at the caribe Hilton for seven nights this past jan. we had a suite in the garden area. The room was nice with the exception of four things:
1). The king size bed was miserable sunken in. They came the first time to put boards under the mattress but it was the mattress that was the problelm and boards wouldn't fix it. They subsequently came and replaced the mattress with a better one but not a at all firm. Sleep could have been better.

2) the room faced the pool area and when the sliding glass door was open, the noise from the (probably) air conditioner generators were terribly loud. Only when we shut the doors did we realize how loud they were. We couldn't really enjoy the balcony or hear any ocean sounds

3) the first room we stayed in in the main hotel (towers I think) smelled and did not seem clean. We subsequently moved to the suite.

4). No wi if signal throu the air in the rooms. You had to plug into the wire. We all could not use our wireless devises like iPad in the room. Ply laptop which has a receptacle for the wire

The of the hotel was nice. A lot of corporate business which wasn't terrible but more that vibe than families on vacation

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you staying with us at Caribe Hilton, we appreciate your feedback.

We would like to apologize to you for your less than satisfy experience with us. Your comments and feedback will be shared with our Management for follow up.

We hope to see you back in the near future.
At your service,

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!