“the staff needs a class about costumer service. otherwise it is a really good hotel.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Caribe Hilton San Juan

Rates From $99
Ranked #16 of 47 hotels in San Juan
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel many times during the last couple of years while traveling for business (the latest from Dec 5-Dec 11, 2012). The excellent location of the hotel which is central to San Juan Airport, Old San Juan, Isla Verde, Condado, Placita Santurce, financial area, etc makes it very convenient. Although the only place that you can really walk to is Condado, taking a taxi to most of the places I mentioned before, is fairly inexpensive. The property has gone through an extensive renovation and all of the rooms I have ever stayed in, have been really good, contrary to other reviews here. The pools, spa, fitness center, private beach, etc are really good.

Now, let me get to what has made to decide not to stay in this hotel again , despite how much I like the location, facilities, etc. I completly agree with some of the reivew here, which is that management and some staff simply don't care of complaints and comments.

Yes, the restaurants are way overpriced for the quality they serve (with the exception of Morton's) but again, it is up to you not to spend your money there if you dont want to, since a short unexpensive taxi ride will take you almost anywhere where excellent food can be found.

However, I do have a problem when you opt to eat on the premises ad the quality of their waiters is split in half. 50% very friendly and nice and about 50% very rude and who make you believe that they are doing you a big favor by serving you. This is a managment problem whenthey can't have an accross the board good and friendly staff. And yes!! if you get a voucher for breakast it is a big joke.

The check-in/check-out process is very bad as many have said here. Again, depending on what luck may bring you, you may have a friendly person or one like the one I described above. If you have a problem, they will simply ignore you. My company prepays my hotels, including the resort fee ($15/day) and last time I stayed, they charged it to me again and was a real ordeal to get it out, so check your bill carefully.

Again, I am sure that this is a management problem. Leadership in this place is not paying close attention to the way the staff is taking care of their costumers. There is the culture of ignoring the feedback. if thet took the time to listen and respond, they would have a very happy and loyal clientele as the place has alll the potential.

I will have to give this hotel an average rating just because of servie, otherwise, it would be a very good one.

Room Tip: If you don't have a water view room but a garden one, don't be dessapointed, the garden has...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

3,583 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

One bit of advice for anyone staying at this hotel do not I repeat do not eat at the hotel restaurants. I made the mistake of eating at the Pinacolda Bar n Grill. I never in my entire life had such a horrible food experience. You would find better food half a block away at subway.

• Stayed December 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed here recently on buisness I normally in the past hove chosen the Conrad across the lagoon entrance but opted for something differnt this time. I found the service to be great and the ease at which people could switch from spanish to english always amazes me. The rest of this review will be comparing the two hotels:

Beach&Pool:Cribe wins hands down, the beach is private and has a little area above the water for sunbathing. I also love the hammock grove they have.

Room: The room I was given did not have a working fridge it was squaky and noisy also dripping water. After a few calls to the front desk I took maters into my own hands. I un-pluged it for a trip and used a towel to soak up all the water. (wasn't an issue for me just an annoiance) The TV in my room would also randomly switch channels or frequntly froze. Never had any of these problems at the conrad.

Food:likeall resorts in the area in myopion the food is overpriced and I choose to eat elsewhere most of the time. The few times I ate at the resort the food at both places was very good

Overall:The next time I am here on buisness I will be at the conrad, as I find it better for that (wifi and internet as well) If I was to come on vacation becuase of the beach I would choose Caribe.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I thought this was a very nice hotel, we actually stayed in the villa part. The housekeepers got to our rooms as soon as we left in the morning it seemed. One day we went out in the morning to go to the gym and came back and our room was done. Food there is alittle bit pricey though. there is a subway across the street for lunch.
We traveled December 6 to 10, there were always plenty of lounge chairs, conceriage was more than helpful to help us out on what we wanted to do. (eric)
We would definitely stay there again
Mosquitos were bad though, bring bug spray

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for your comments and feedback! Is a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us. We will definitely let Eric know about your kind words.

Again thank you and we hope to see you again soon

at your service
Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager
South Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was fortunate enough to find the Caribe Hilton San Juan during a port of call day. The day pass was an excellent value. The resort staff was excellent. The beach and multi-level pool was spectacular. I wish I had more time to experience this beautiful hotel set in a beautiful location. The cab ride from the crusie port is quick and inexpensive. I look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Only spent the day, did not experience rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time and share your experience! We hope that your cruise was great as well as your day with us.

We hope that you get to spend more time here when you return
at your service!
Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

After collecting Hilton Honors points for 6 years I booked my husband and at this hotel where we used all our points. I must say I was really disappointed with the service and the facility. The location of the hotel is stunning, but I do not recommend staying here. As a Hilton credit card member and a rewards member I expected so much more. I plan on not using my Hilton credit card going forward and I will no longer stay at Hilton properties. The hotel service was horrible; the facilities were old, broken, and smelly. As a Hilton member I had higher expectations.
When we arrived we had paid extra (beyond our points) for an ocean view room. When we arrived at our room the balcony overlooked the hotel entrance with a partial view of the ocean. The noise and smell of gas from the buses made it so we couldn't even enjoy the outdoor balcony. When I called to have the room switched- they told me that I would have to move to their older building and that the room would not be renovated. So we stayed.

Then when we went to get a bottle of water from the vending machine it would not take our dollar bills. My husband went to a different floor and the water was sold out. We went down to the front desk and asked where we could get a bottle of water. The response was " you can go floor - to -floor and try the vending machines." SERIOUSLY you can't go the extra mile and get us a bottle of water- or offer to have it delivered to our rooms?

When we finally settled in we decided to go check out the hot tubs. Hot tubs? More like cold ice buckets. There are three “Hot tubs” on the property and none of them worked for the 5 days we were there. We attempted several times to mention it to the hotel and were told “they are working on it” and that they are “warm whirlpools”. Really?
We abandoned the hot tub experience and decided to go and set up an excursion. When we got there we were told to come back because they weren’t sure they had enough numbers to book the excursion to the bio bay. We went back an hour later and was given a number to call so we could set it up ourselves. REALLY? ARE YOU SERIOUS? I have NEVER in all my travels been told when at a resort to call a number and set up an excursion myself.

Scratch that experience… moving on to a relaxing couples massage, or so I thought. My husband and I went to the Spa to book a couples Massage on the day we arrived (a Friday). We arranged for a 12pm COUPLES massage for the two of us on that upcoming Sunday. Fast forward to Sunday- we arrive early to check in for our COUPLES massage and we are told “Oh we are sorry we don’t have you in for an appointment. Are you sure you came in and made an appointment.” SERIOUSLY? They quickly expressed they messed up and would arrange for us to get our COUPLES massage on Monday morning. We were not happy, but agreed to move the appointment to Monday. Fast forward to Monday… we arrive and are on the books. They take my husband to the locker room and me to my locker room. When I am done getting changed, they bring me to a room with a single table – I ask… “where is my husband? This is a couples massage?” She says “Oh sorry I will find him and we will move rooms” . A few minutes later she brings me to the couples massage room. I get in the bed and wait… and wait… and wait. The woman walks in and says… “I’m so sorry honey.. they started your husbands massage in another room. Do you want us to interrupt him and bring him in here.” AGAIN ARE YOU SERIOUS… needless to say.. I said “no don’t bother”. I was pissed and not relaxed. If it wasn’t for my husband and the beauty outside the walls of this hotel it would have been a horrible trip. I feel like Hilton owes me my six years of points-especially as a credit card holder. Don’t bother staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Maplewood, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Hotel Caribe and we really enjoyed our time there. We had a great room with a view of the ocean. The room was clean, modern and very nice. We had a rental car so we had to pay for the parking ramp. The parking fee which compared to other cities was reasonable, but with all of the hotel service taxes and fees one would think they could include parking in the room rate.

This hotel has everything a person would need on vacation and could come here and never go anywhere else: multiple restaurants, bars, beach, pool, spa, etc. The hotel location is very good. We liked being close to Old San Juan and it was easy to get to the highways and head out of town. Our only negative on location was that there was no restuarants or cafes within walking distance and we like to eat at places other than the hotel onse.

The beach was great. It is one of the nicest beaches in the area. We sat out on the beach every day and swam with tropical fish every. We swim for excercise and the lagoon was perfect and it was still great for just playing around.

We would definately stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!