“I loved the ocean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 47 hotels in San Juan
boston
“I loved the ocean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

went there this novemebr 19-27.
awesome water 85 everyday. the ocean beach is ideal for chidren. No waves - they've put in a wavebreaker. the building is old but everything is functional. food is awefull in the hotel and pretty much everywhere else on the island. Puerto Rico is not about food, period. At the hotel I bought a mac-donalds type hamburger with fries. No lettuce, no tomato. 12 dollars + 83 cents tax. However, I'm not crazy about eating so I did not care that much. Pools and jacuzzi are WONDERFUL!!! Hammocks are nice, too. Come spring first thing I get a hammock at home. That's how much I liked it. On the island we only went to the old city. $12 one way by cab, we liked it a lot. In old San Juan eat at El Jibarito, the only good food place I know there.
Back to hotel. The tropical garden is heart melting! They've got peacocks, swans black and white, turkey, ducks, geese, chicken, and red carps in the pond. This is truly the garden of Eden.
People at the hotel are nice and cooperative. The day before the departure I was awaked by nasty sounds of a power-hammer at 9 o'clock in the morning. I called reception immediately. They apologized and offered $75 compensation. Not bad, huh? Later that day my brother (staying in a separate room) "remembered" that he was bothered by the noise, too. They gave him $75, too, no questions asked. I say WOW, don't you?
For small needs, go to Pueblo. It's a small supermarket, 10-15 mins away by walking. turn left at Pina Colada and walk along the river bank to save ~5 mins.
Also, near the hotel they have a boulevard type of street, with a huge playground. A nice perk, we loved it.
Oh, about the wi-fi. Expedia says it's extra so I did not take my laptop but when I got there I learnt that they were offering free wi-fi as a special at that time. Call them to see what the specials are before you go.
A movietheater is next to Pueblo. Half the movies are in English.
Ordering drinks at the pool is based on trust. You say your name and room and they add the charge. Yes, people abuse this system. But charges are dropped as soon as tell them that it was not you who ordered the drink(s).

Room Tip: ask for high floors, views are better
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for choosing theCaribe Hilton for your recent vacation!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience while at our property. Hope that you find a very nice hammock for spring! If not hey! we will wait for your return to enjoy them again.

We hope to see you back in the near future.

at your service

3,587 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (792)
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

really want to go back there very nice location and very elegant hotel, my wedding was there and we really enjoyed the view and everything... The food was excellent and the breakfast buffet was yummy....

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your wedding! We are very glad that you enjoyed and that everything was great!

Thank you for sharing your experience hope to see you again soon

At your service

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

When I first made this reservation I thought it would be a romantic and phenomenal vacation, I was booked at the “Caribe Hilton” the name HILTON says it all, Luxury, impeccable service, Romantic Ambiance, Restful and Tranquil environment and the Beauty of Puerto Rico. Let me start by crossing out four of five items, now that I think of it the Hilton has nothing to do with the beauty of Puerto Rico, so remove all the pluses and you're left with NOTHING!

First off, location of room, next to the construction site approx. 100ft away. On numerous occasions a fire alarm near the room was going off, it was ignored by employees but on two occasions we walked down seven floors to try and exit but the ground exit floor was flooded, I had to show the Manager the flooded area because he was told there was no water. Then he states to me "well this really isn't the exit." When I checked in no explanation of available hotel amenities and for additional charges. A final bill of over $200 was presented and reduced to $100 when I disputed it.

The negatives for this hotel far outweigh the positives. Add to all the facility problems, (fire alarms going off a flooded out emergency exit,) family guest lack the discipline to control or supervise their children who at 6:45am on Saturday and Sunday allow their children to scream, play, and attempt to open the adjoining room doors. Even though I called the hotel front desk all they did was transfer me to hotel security who said they would send someone up. The noise continued for about another hour and a half. We finally got up and left the room.

Despite the acknowledgement by hotel staff and management of all the problems the most dreaded and feared statement a Priceline customer can hear, “well we want to make this up to you but you did pay for this through Priceline so we can’t do anything.” In other words if you pay the regular room rates they MAYBE something could be done? When you purchase accommodations through Priceline you do this with the understanding that the savings you receive are not deducted from the service or accommodations.

The only reparation offered was free breakfast at the hotel restaurant. This is a $100 value was what the manager told me. Yes, it was a $50 charge each morning for a breakfast worth no more than $20. This hotel is by far the worst place I stayed in, I would have preferred the Hoboken Inn.

Room Tip: Find another place to stay like the Intercontinental San Juan 5-Star resort
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us and I have addressed these issues with our staff.
Again, I apologize for the less than satisfying stay, and we want you to know that we will make the necessary changes. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you once again for your comments.

at your service,

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

i traveled with my husband there. The place was overall nice. staffs were friendly. We first got a 2 full size but they switched us to a king per our request. I had my birthday dinner there and the waitress was really sweet as well as the front desk agent; they called our room and said happy birthday.
Some unexpected parts: We asked the room service for delivering food(only one order of wings). They charged the food, a $5 delivery fee, and 15% of the tips all mandatory. The time we checked out, there was about $26 per day fee. They stated that's the maintainess fee for the complimantry service and equpiments we were using. This maybe sounds ok because we actually used them. The worst ones was, after i got home, i found they put someone's room food delivery charge on me. After I contected them twice also deal with my credit card company, I got it back after about 15 days.
overall, if you dont care about spending money, its not bad at all. The valet helps you park your car; it closes to some atractions and good restruants intown.

• Stayed October 2012
El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I thought this hotel was really lovely. It is right on the ocean. We had a very nice room with a great view. There was some construction going on, and our view had some roofs in it and that is why I didn't give the hotel an "excellent" rating. A drawback for me was the pool which only went to 4 feet deep so no diving and you can't really get any solid water aerobics in. On the other hand it was a beautiful pool with a swim up bar. The restaurants were very good - there are quite a few restaurants in the hotel. The best was the Lemon Grass cafe. The service was excellent. I wolud go back. Food is quite pricey in all of San Juan.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the ocean side so you don't have to look at roofs and construction - but even so...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed here prior to our cruise. Check in was quick, efficient. Our room had an ocean view with big comfy beds. Bathroom was lovely and clean. The grounds,pools and private beach were AMAZING -it is absolutely breathtaking. There were hammocks, lounge beds and chairs. Awesome ! We had a great time at the bar with the BEST bartenders ever ;VICTOR and MONICA rock!!! They gave us great tips on where to go eat as the food in the hotel is overpriced. We walked across the bridge and got a taste of the nightlife and great food in Old San Juan and returned to a round of karaoke at the bar with our group. Upon check out they held our bags at the taxi stand until our group was ready to leave. Excellent. I am pleased and would return.

Room Tip: We had ocean view room; the garden rooms are right in front of the garden sanctuary with the beautif...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

After calling multiple times to buy tickets for their New Years Event I talked with Deddy Torres. The most wonderful person. I work for this industry and I even offer her a job in United States. That kind of personality is what we need in every hotel. Remember that Puerto Rico does it better!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Hello there! Sorry that you had to call several times to get your tickets.
You will have an awesome time with us for NYE! Is the best

at your service
Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!