“Mixed review... not really up to expectations, just okay.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$179 (USD)
Ranked #18 of 45 Hotels in San Juan
Modesto, California
“Mixed review... not really up to expectations, just okay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

So mixed review from me for this hotel; good and bad. Great ocean view from our room although it was difficult to get out onto the balcony. The door didn't work well and I am not sure the locks worked right. I could see that one lock had been broken off at some point and should have been removed. Instead it looks like they just added another lock. The broken lock had a sharp edge that could have cut someone. The door was a struggle to pull open and close. The light at the entrance to the room was probably burnt out making entering the room difficult to see at night. Had to find the bathroom light then the lamps next to the beds (these lights were not very bright). The beds were comfy. The bathroom seemed to be clean but I thought there was some mold in the corners in the shower, I was afraid to check it more closely. There were no washcloths that first night so we had to call housekeeping to get some brought to us. It was a nice touch to find real glass - glasses to use by the ice bucket but the weird thing was that after using them, they were not replaced the next day with clean ones. The used glasses were left as is. We called for clean glasses. The next day those used glasses were left but the little paper cover was placed over the used glasses..... really? I also made a point to clean off the bedside table so it could be wiped off by housekeeping but it not wiped off. The area I thought would be cleaned off, was not. Disappointing and kind of strange we thought. I then kind of questioned other housekeeping practices. The ac did not go lower than 68 degrees and turned off at night so we got hot. The first night the shower knob came off in my hand while trying to adjust the water! Yikes! It was fixed the next day when we reported it to housekeeping. The meals we had in the restaurants were really good. The breakfast was delish if not overpriced but the waiters we had were great. The Pina Colada Bar and grill had fantastic food and drink and service. Loved YeYo! Nice access to the private ocean views, beach and pools. Would have liked the food items at the beach bar to be a bit more but.... drinks were too high priced but they did a good business so I guess the prices didn't bother others. It is a bit out of town but it is easy to grab a taxi or walk across from the Subway restaurant to the bus stop which is cheap and easy, just takes a little more time than a taxi. A taxi to town is $12. the bus is .75 cents, each one way. Having a Starbucks on site was nice and the other retail stores were nice as well. I've read on here about happy hour but we were not informed about it so missed out. Our room was older, dated, had empty spot on the wall where a picture may have been hanging at some point in time. Lamps were old wihout good light.The flip-over lock on the door to the room had been cut at some point but was left as is. I think it should have been replaced. The hammocks outside were very comfy and nice, certainly a plus! The band started late so we didn't stay to see them because we were too tired and got tired of waiting. We were really sorry that we missed out on the live music. The best part was the Concierge, a very nice and thoughtful gentleman named David. Loved him!!! Helpful and went above and beyond. He was definately the best part of the hotel!!! The tour guide for the rainforest trip was a bit lacking in something.... it was a tour that a different person at the Concierge signed us up for. It was a four hour trip to El Yunque. The tour guide was young and maybe just needs some practice. He knew alot but it just wasn't up to expectations. He'll get better with time I think. Construction was going on during the day so a bit noisy at times. I don't know. Like I said, mixed reviews. Just got back on Wednesday night and I'm still fighting jet lag so i think my review is mixed as well but I have tried to hit on everything I can remember about the hotel. Easy and quick check-in,. Beautiful lobby. Guess I'll stop rambling. Loved, Loved, Loved David and Yeyo!

Room Tip: The ac only goes down to 68 degrees so for us, during the night we got too hot.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations. We shared your comments with our housekeeping and engineering team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met.
I understand the food and beverages prices was of concern.

We are at your service
Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,056)
  • Polish first
Ladera Ranch, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is a good hotel for the money. Great location, near Old San Juan, across the bridge to Cordado area and not far from airport. It has it's private beach and has several pools. I thought service was very good both in the housekeeping dept, security dept.( got locked out of my safe in my room), waiters at the beach & pool and good service in the bar area. Front desk staff was excellent. I had a great view from my room, however, the rooms seem to be old or worn. The baseboards and vents need to be clean. The carpets were stained which is not very appealing. The door jams had been damaged in my room. The bed was marvelous and the decor was somewhat modern. The bathroom was good, clean, tiled and the shower offered lots of room and spray heads. Overall, I would stay there again because of the proximity to everything and the staff was excellent. The retail stores that were there were extremely accommodating. The highlight was having Mortons on property!! Huge plus. Thank you Hilton!!!

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong. They all have some kind of ocean view. I was with a group and we...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words! It is certainly a pleasure to serve our guest and to guarantee them an excellent experience.

We are glad that you enjoyed our beautiful hotel and hope to see you back soon

At your service

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was somewhat concerned about booking this place after reading some of the negative reviews about the rooms and customer service. However, I went ahead and booked anyway and couldn't be happier about my choice. The front desk staff was very friendly and the rook was clean and modern (all new fixtures). I only had one problem on my stay but as soon as I notified the manager it was promptly taken care of and they went way beyond what was necessary to correct the issue. I highly recommend this place, great beach, pool, and location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the renovated tower.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, MO, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed at the Caribe Hilton for one night after a cruise. I used Hilton Honors points plus a $15 upgrade to get an ocean view room. The room was large with a balcony and a great view down the coast toward the fort. The weather was clear and sunny and the view was really fabulous. The lobby is very tropical and completely open with no doors to walk through. The bar is located off the lobby and is also open on one side with a glass wall looking out toward the pool area and palm tree grove. Really a nice spot! Gigantic air conditioning blowers are located in the planters around the edge that keep the bar area air conditioned. Sitting at the tables along that side became uncomfortable because of the cold air blowing right behind you. But, we moved and the other areas were comfortable. They had happy hour from 4-6. We arrived around 5 and the waiter pointed out that all local rum drinks were like $4, so we had pina coladas and they were fabulous. We sat and enjoyed the drinks and the view. Around 6:10 we wanted another drink, but realized it was past 6. But, the waiter said "don't tell anyone" and he got us another round at happy hour prices. We noticed a band stand at one end of the bar and asked if there were entertainment. He said there was a band at 9. So, we decided to have dinner there and see the band. Well, the band was actually a full Latin orchestra, trumpets, saxes, congas, piano and 3 singers. If you want to have a romantic evening, try dancing by candlelight, with palm trees alit outside and a Latin orchestra playing a ballad with a Latin beat as three singers sing soulfully in Spanish you can't understand. I really felt like I should be wearing a white dinner jacket and Bogart was going to come walking in. It's a rare experience nowadays. The bandleader said the orchestra had been performing there for 50 years. It's a rare gem in the world. I highly recommend it! Thank you Hilton for retaining this bit of charm.

Room Tip: Take the oceanview upgrade. It's worth it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

I have been a few times on this Hotel while working in San Juan. When possible I take a 1/2 day to enjoy the beach there. It is private, protected against the open ocean and good for snorkeling. You can even do scuba trips if ocean outside is not rough. They provide that on the beach at around US70.

In my view this make this place special compared to El San Juan and Conrad also from Hilton chain.

Rooms in first building are being renovated and have small balcony and ocean view. I was at toom 737 and had a nice view from the small Fort on the brach.

I never had dinner there but San Juan is a place to dinne out.. Had eat small appetizer and was good.

I will return!

• Stayed November 2012
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton as your preferred hotel while visiting our beautiful Puerto Rico.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience while at our property. We hope to see you back in the near future.

We are at your service

Joliet, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had a wonderful time at the Caribe Hilton in San Juan. We had an ocean view room and it over looked not only the ocean but a fort and the beautiful grounds of the Hilton. We enjoyed the whirlpool and the swim up bar. My husband and I spent an enjoyable hour in a hamock under the palm trees. The bed was very comfortable and not many hotels have showers for two people. We took the bus into old San Juan on two different days 50 cents each way. The valet will give you directions. The clerks Laura (a cute redhead), Katherine, and Johanna (The Dream team) were very helpful. Our flight out of San Juan wasn't until 4 and we were able to get a late check out. Check in isn't until 4 but they will hold your luggage and you can use the pools and beach until your room is ready. When you stay here make sure to go out to the pier after dark and look into the water by the light. There are barracudas in the water with eyes that look like flashlights! There is a pretty reef in this area too. We were only there two nights I would have liked to stay longer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hi there! thank you for your comments and feedback!
we are very happy to see that you had a great time.
Lets cross fingers that your next vacation with us is longer than two days!

we are at your service
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We loved this hotel. Highly recommended for family's! This hotel made our visit to San Juan much more relaxing. The location is very convenient. I enjoyed eating at the Morton's and getting a drink at the bar. The fitness center is very nice. San Juan was such an interesting place to stay with lots of things to do. The hotel was excellent and had lots of authentic restaurants nearby.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!