“Spectacular View, little service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rates From $99
Ranked #16 of 47 hotels in San Juan
Tampa, Florida
“Spectacular View, little service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Checked in for our 3 night resort stay and was given a room in the HHonors Tower. Room was tired and worn and in dire need of a makeover. Had reserved an ocean view room, opened the drapes and was looking at the parking garage. Went back to front desk and they immediately changed us to the main tower without an issue, these rooms have been updated and had the view as promised. The pool and beach area is beautiful, and ocean front. Staff was friendly and helpful but lounge area was always understaffed, bar food terrible. Would stay here again but be sure to ask for a main tower room. The beach, pool area, and ocean front location saves this very average property.

Room Tip: Ask for a main tower room that has been updated.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

3,651 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Polish first
Calgary AB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Booked this hotel online. Arrived at 2 am, after 12hrs of travelling, prior to a cruise. Our luggage was lost, so we were tired and freaked out, with the possibility of facing a 2 week cruise with no luggage. The front desk clerk was very sympathetic, and supplied us with a couple of vanity bags with toiletries. I think we were the only ones walking around in long pants and hoodies. That aside, the grounds were well manicured, a wonderful pond with peacocks and exotic birds. There is a sandy beach, hamocks, pool and sitting areas on the grounds. An italian restuarant that offered a set price of I think $13 for a buffet style breakfast, which had the usual items. A few boutiques on the property. If you walked just off the grounds you can find a small liquor store, souvenirs, and around the corner a Subway shop. It appeared to be a long walk to get to a more populated area. As the temp was very hot, and we were in our winter travel wear, we didnt go far from A/C. We did take a taxi into Old San Juan for $12.. The conceige and luggage handling area was on top of tracking the lost luggage, and it arrived at 5pm. Thankfully our cruise did not leave that day, or we would have sailed without it. Just a tip, dont travel and sail on the same day.....This is a beautiful resort to spend a fews days...make sure to pack your bathing suit in your carryone...LOL

Room Tip: Off the beaten path..be prepared to take a taxi for about $12 to Old San Juan, and $20 to the airpor...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Monaco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I'm normally a fan of Hiltons - I stay in lots, and am platinum with HHonors. This hotel is a disgrace to the Hilton chain.

At check-in, they sprung a surprise "resort fee" of 16% of the room rate on me, despite the hotels.com not mentioning a resort fee. I refused to pay it. They refused to drop it. I still refused to pay. After making me wait in the lobby for 2.5 hours (yes, 2.5 hours) while they called hotels.com, they finally agreed to waive it. Then at checkout, the final bill still included the resort fee. This time they agreed to drop it after only a couple of minutes.

As a platinum HHonors member, I get a free continental breakfast. However, they tried to sell me an "upgrade" to a full breakfast for $7. This just came across as crass and obnoxious.

The WiFi network had terrible signal in my room, and was basically unusable.

The air conditioning effectively only has two settings: off, and deep freeze. Setting the thermostat to 82F (the highest it went) still resulted in a cold room.

On the plus side, the room did have a nice view over the city, and the housekeeping staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I am not even half way through my trip and it has gone downhill little by little. My check-in was fast but poor customer service. The breakfast restaurant near the main lobby has very unorganized personnel - it took for ever to get our server when we needed something (to come by the table)

I requested for a room change and it was granted the only negative side was that the lady in the lobby obviously was not doing her job and never put in the system that the room was occupied. Little to my surprise at around 2:30 in the morning I have someone opening the door with a set of their own keys. I woke up screaming because that was my 1st reaction. UNACCEPTABLE!!!

• Stayed November 2012
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for your comments!

I would like to express our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you encountered with your room and services while in our property. We take your feedback very serious and will share them with our team members and management.

Your experience is not indicative of the service level we have been known for over the years. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve.

We are at your service,
Seminole, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed 2 nights prior to a cruise.Historic hotel is nice, but is showing its age. Stayed in HHonors tower section room was modern only qualm was that there was no minibar in the room. Great restaurants (ate at Mortons). Live salsa music in the bar area nightly. Would stay again only for a short period.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your time with us.

We hope you had a great cruise and hope to see you again soon.

At your service
Aurora, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

I planned a surprise trip for my boyfriend and our 2 kids to Puerto Rico for his birthday. I wanted to stay somewhere nice with a good reputation. Where better to stay than the Hilton I thought, boy was I WRONG! Everything was wrong from the beginning, my first impression of the hotel was that it was very worn and outdated for a Hilton. I had called the day before our arrival and requested a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to be in our room upon arrival. Needless to say they were not there and I had to call the front desk twice to get them delivered, and then they had the audacity to charge me a 10% delivery fee!
Our room, which was supposed to be an ocean view was instead just a view of a dirty rooftop.
After the first night we asked to upgrade our room to a villa in the hopes of a bigger nicer room, wrong again. Our room was significantly smaller and very dirty. One evening I went to get ice and had to go to 3 different floors in search of an ice machine that actually worked. At one point we even saw a cockroach in the hallway. That's when we packed up and left. We moved to a BEAUTIFUL hotel called the Rio Mar on the other side of the island.
I wouldn't wish the Caribe Hilton on my worst enemy.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
We trully appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. We regret that you had to leave us earlier than expected and feeling so dissapointed.

I'm very sorry you did not had a dood experience with us. On behalf of our entire team, I apologize for the less than satisfying stay, and we want you to know that we will make the necessary changes. It causes great concern to us when one of our guests leaves feeling this way. Your experience is not the indicative of our service levels and standards.

We are at your service and I personally invite you to give us another opportunity to serve you.

We are at your service
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This place is just generally lackluster. We were in the tower and had the most depressing view of trash on the roof. The staff was always too busy. Much of the property is lovely but it's way too crowded and this odd mixture of nicely renovated and old/tired. Not exactly the retro fun place we had envisioned. The elevator to our tower was not working properly which got very old. The pool area and beach are very pretty. We had a great time in Old San Juan and nice time at dinner in Condado. The staff did recommend El Livin for dinner near by (we walked) and we really loved it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback on your our hotel condition and your overall experience while you visited us recently. Please accept our apologies. I am sharing your comments with our Management as all comments and feedback are highly valued to us.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you give us the opportunity of serve you in the near future.

We are at your service
Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!