“This hotel is exactly what it looks like...AMAZING!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$169 (USD)
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Las Vegas, Nevada
“This hotel is exactly what it looks like...AMAZING!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was a little apprehensive about booking anything on the island because we've never been here and know what it's like to experience the difference of online pictures and reality...BUT this hotel is gorgeous, the staff is incredibly friendly, the accommodations are awesome and convenient, the beach is clean and beautiful, location was great...EVERYTHING about the hotel is truly great here! The ONLY complaint I could say is that if you ask for directions to get anywhere on the island they will give you a pre-printed sheet for directions to anywhere and we discovered that most of the directions are not actually correct...luckily the extremely friendly locals led us in the correct direction with everything!!

You will love this hotel and location! VERY family friendly, standard rooms are smaller BUT still spacious enough for my spouse and our two kids (10 and 13).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Wow! thank you for your comments! sorry about the misunderstanding with directions. Will definitely look into that.

We are very happy to hear that you had a great time. Looking forward to welcome you back soon!

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (912)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed here again while Hurricane Isaac passed by. As a consequence, the weather was beautiful. We were assigned a top floor room in the Garden Building. Great view, good AC, and comfortable beds. It looked liked they recently renovated the room and then stopped before finishing. Rest of furnishings and room were dinged up, dingy and need to be replaced.

Coffee maker and fridge in room is a great plus. Bing hint, there are three Costcos on PR, one just minutes from the airport. Stock up before you check in.

Free WIFI in lobby was not very good. They have two public computers with internet access in business center. But they are monopolized by kids through the day. They also have a computer in lobby to check flight status and print boarding passes.

They have a Morton’s Steakhouse next to lobby. As expensive as those on the mainland. Not great food when compared to the Morton’s near our home in California.

The pool area in the early morning is phenomenal. Very few people, quiet, tons of places to sit or sleep, and super clean.

They have tons of activities, some complimentary, other for an additional [and steep] cost.

Because of Hurricane, AA canceled our flight home. Hilton graciously provided late check out while we secured passage home.

All in all, we still like this facility and would stay here as opposed to hotels in nearby Condado.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton for your stay during your recent visit to Puerto Rico. We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with us. Is great to hear when your guests enjoy their time and stay. Make us really proud!

Hope to see you again soon!

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

Our family spent a week at this hotel. The private beach is perfect, the pools are great as are the views, at night you can go to pier looking over the ocean and feed the fish, there are many large fish there at night. The renovated room we had was beautiful. The down side is that there really wasn't anything to do at the hotel in the evening, no entertainment, restraunts expensive which forced us to go out each night,

• Stayed August 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Great views. Awesome private, clean beach. The pools were beautiful. Great service. Cute parrots in lobby. They had wifi in lobby... Wished they had free Internet. Drinks were expensive. Loved the Starbucks. The food options at hotel were expensive. Loved the swim up bar.

• Stayed August 2012
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Great to hear that you had a wonderful time with us! We hope to have you back with us!
maysville, nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Caribe Hilton from Aug 30th to Sept 2nd. This was our first time ever in San Juan. The hotels website does not even begin to explain how great this hotel is. I will begin with the con's then end this off with all the pro's. First before we arrived we had contacted the hotel to ask about transportation from the airport to the hotel and the rep told me to just take a cab. I mentioned renting a car and the rep never told me about the rental service on the hotel grounds or the rental service located across the street from the hotel. ( the gentleman across the street from the hotel who runs the rental shop was so helpful and friendly. We will rent from him next time!! His name was Peter by the way). We ended up renting a car from Budget near the airport. When we checked in to pick up the rental the gentleman was not to friendly. Had some type of attitude about him. There were something that he did not mention about the rental contract but we got over it. The lady that helped us when we returned the car was very nice.
The next con is the local traffic. The way people drive over there is beyond crazy. They do not believe in using turn signals. Peter told me that they do not use turn signals because no one else needs to know where they are driving to. So beware when driving yourself you will def need to purchase rental insurance. It almost makes you want to spend all the money on the taxi's.
The next con is that the hotel did not tell us they provide travel when booking tours. We got over that part when we decided we rather relax then do so much touring.
Another con is that the hotel did not offer us to join HHonors. I joined after and now awaiting word on whether or not we will get credited points for our stay.
A con about the restaurants...cost ALOT of money. We almost went broke eating at the hotel. the drinks at the bar cost so much money it makes you not want to drink at all.
About the pricing...(this is a con by the way) when I booked the trip i was told my nightly rate was around $159. When I was checkign my credit card statement I saw that the hotel was holding 1005.00 on my card. I went to ask why the hold was so much and I found out my rate was $179. I could not find my email proving the rate that I was first told so keep all emails. Any who. The gentlemen at the desk explained to me that they hold $75 per night for security deposit. Then they add daily rate for parking ($16.05). I do not know how they knew we had a rental but it is ok. Well we had paid for one day of parking with our credit card because you have to pay to take you car out of the parking lot and we wanted to make sure the car was full before we left. So I had to prove to the desk associate that I had already paid for one day of parking because they had already charged me for it. That was settled with no problem.
PRO's....The hotel staff is super friendly. Little to no attitude problems. Across the street near the car rental shop is a little poppi store. The food there was so good! We were able to get good tasting food in a large quantiy for way less than you would pay for at the hotel. The local beer is around $9 for a six pack and at the hotel they sell 5 for $25 The shop is not open on weekends but the people who own it are friendly.There are also some gifts at the store attached to the shop which had cheaper gifts but not to much to chose from. I would recommend everyone to eat from there. We would have gone broke if we did not know about that place. There is also a subway down the street which we found by walking around.
The hotel grounds are so clean and well kept. the little lagoon was just the right size. The hammocks are great at night. There are plenty of chairs for guest to use while at the pool or lagoon because they have back up stash of chairs. The fact that you can take a drink from any bar and walk around with it was awesome for me and my husband. You are even allowed to take the drinks to your room and let room service take them when they clean up.
The OLAS spa was awesome! would had loved to have brought a package but it was a little to much for our budget so we just got a deep sea massage. At the spa you are allowed to use the showers, and sauna. The associate at the desk got annoying becasue she wanted us to buy the package so bad she pushed a little to much. But a with everything that was ok. I recommend asking for HARRY if you get a massage.
The hotel has so many pools that it can never get to crowed. The best restaurant was MORTONS. Casear and Edwin served us and they were AMAZING. It is very expensive but it is worth every penny. We received a free round loaf of bread which we did not know that we were getting. The chocolate cake is to die for. Never tasted anything like it. Now take into consideration we went on a Saturday night in slow season and before the crowd came so our experience was a little more personal. The owners/managers (not sure which one they were) were so friendly. For having the title that they have I did not expect them to talk to us as much as they did. Edwin ( I am not sure which associate was Edwin or Casear but I think it was Edwin) showed us pictures around the restaurant and explained some of the photos and the history behind the photos. The managers did not even bother him when he was talking to us which I thought was so nice of them. Usually managers or owners want them to get back to work but Edwin was allowed to give us persnal attention which makes me want to go back to the Hilton just for that restaurant. Edwin became a friend in seconds HAHA!
In the three nights and four day stay that gave us enough time to explore and really get our moneys worth of the hotel. We did not even feel the need to leave the hotel. There is so much more to say but this could go on for a long time. Great time and we are planning on going again as soon as we can afford to!!!

Room Tip: We stayed ont he tenth floor somewhat of an ocean view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are deeply sorry that you pre-arrival experience lack of information and follow up. On the other hand we are so happy that had a great time in the hotel. We will let Morton's what a great service Edwin is providing!
Holbrook, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We just came back from a week stay at Caribe Hilton. I would like to set the record straight for all the negative reviews that have been posted about this hotel. Firstly, we are a 4 person family from Long Island, New York who have fairly large expectations that we expect from a hotel. This hotel met our expectations and then some. Firstly, upon check-in (on a Sunday at 1:00 pm) we were greeted very kindly and were taken care of right away. There was no wait and our room was ready for us. The staff at the front desk was very accomodating and nice. We were assigned a room in the main building (room 623). The room was very clean and a nice size for 4 people. The beds were very comfortable and had Pacific Down comforters on the bed with two pillows for each person. The refrigerator was a good size and there was a coffee machine in the room.. The bathrooms were very clean and the linens were very crisp every day. The bathtub drained very slow, but it did drain. The pool area was awesome. We found the pool to be very clean. The pool will close every night at 9:00 pm for cleaning and chemicals. The beach area was very clean. The one thing we like a lot, was the lovely hammocks on the palm trees, which added so much tropical elegance to the location. I had read that the pool was dirty, the beach was dirty, etc. At the time of our visit, that was not the case. My two children enjoyed the snorkeling with all the tropical fish at this location. At night at the end of a pier, they have a light which illuminates the various fish species. The kids loved that. The beach was not dirty it has a beach/lagoon type of feeling which was calm for the kids. They had floating rafts where the kids could swim to them and dive off. The seating at both the pool and beach was plentiful, with lots of lounges and high comfort bedding which was great. Now for housekeeping, our room was maintained perfectly. Again, people had previously complained about this. I am a very meticulous housekeeper and my expectations were met completely. As Americans we can be spoiled at times, and seem to forget about the good things in life and loose our sense of appreciation. We have stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Hawaii and paid $600 per night and found this hotel to be in the same category as a Grand Hyatt. We were looking for a more inexpensive vacation this year and found that we got more than what we had expected for the money we spent. We use the Concierge, and found Elliot to be fantastic. His attitude was so professional and nice. Five stars to the hotel for hiring such a classy young man. He represents the Hilton perfectly. As far as the hotel being expensive, this is true not only at the Carib Hilton but any hotel you stay at. There are other cheaper options right outside such as the Subway for breakfast and lunch and the Tropical Souvenier Shop, where we ate breakfast for $20 to $30 for 4 people. The food and service was great. Condado is a 15 min walk from the hotel with many different choices. If you can not afford to pay the hotel prices, which was the case for our family, you simply walk over the bridge or take a bus to Old San Juan for .75 per person. The bus system was safe. Please dont be initimated by the police presence all over the hotel zone. This actually made us feel safer. With any big city, there is crime and you have to be aware and careful. The Manager, Nelson Torres has listened to the prior complaints and has responded accordingly. We would definitely stay at this hotel again. Dont let the prior negative reviews scare you off, or you will miss this gem of the carribean.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The grounds are beautiful and the employees are very hospitable. Centrally located 5 minutes (by car) to Condado or Old San Juan. The daily Happy Hour is a great idea. My only advice would be for them to have more entertainment at night for the guests because unlike the other big hotels in the vicinity, they don't have a casino.

Room Tip: Get the Ocean View Room....Breathtaking
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!