“great location and great hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Night Fall!
Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Saint Louis, Missouri
“great location and great hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have to admit, I am spoiled now! They upgraded my daughter and myself to a 20th floor suite that was amazing! Aside from the amazing suite, the rest of the facility was great. The pools, the beach, the restaurants, etc. All were very well done!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (846)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Our family of 5 stayed August 13-19 in 2 rooms.

Cons
More food choices
Shuttles to Old San Juan/Condado
No affordable activities
Better, more affordable food choices
Stayed in Honors Tower. Rooms were nice but were not cleaned as well as most hotel rooms usually are. The beach and pool area are fantastic. The floor around the pool does need updating. Also maybe a 16 and up pool area because there were many children running around, jumping off walls and screaming which took away from the relaxation the area should have.

Restaurants
Piña Coolada Club was great! Ate there twice and had great food for a reasonable price.

Lemongrass was also good. A little pricey but good to go to for a "nice" dinner.

Atlantico Bar and Grill was very expensive for a pool bar. Big portions though. Chicken tenders 13.50 and we got two of them for my 3 kids which was plenty.

Starbucks was fantastic. Ate breakfast there every morning and dessert there almost every night. They also make warm sandwiches for lunch which I highly suggest. They're very good and only cost 5.45 each. They also have chips you can buy.

• Stayed August 2012
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We hope you and your family had a great time with us.
We will definitely share this information with our Management. Your feedback is important to us in order to better understand your need and where we can improve.

We hope to see you again soon!
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My husband and I just spent four nights at the Caribe Hilton and I'd certainly stay somewhere else the next time. The hotel is pretty isolated from anything interesting, especially if you like strolling around any sort of neighborhood. Taxis are expensive in PR, so unless you have a car - we did - you are pretty much at their mercy. The beach at the hotel is small and underwhelming, the pool small and the grounds not too well kept. The first night we were put in an unrenovated room in the tower - OMG, what a dump! Filthy floor, filthy and broken drapery, beaten up furniture - shameful for a Hilton. I complained and was given a renovated room, closer to the beach, which was much better. Decent, in fact. The staff was however, very accommodating, professional and pleasant. For the prices charged, the Caribe Hilton should invest in some sort of shuttle service for its guests.

Either Condado or Old San Juan has more to do, all within walking distance. Stay in either for a livelier time.

Room Tip: Get a renovated room NOT a tower room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

PROS: Room was clean. Concierge was helpful and knowledgeable.

CONS: Not convenient to anything other than a Subway restaurant. Taxi cabs are expensive in PR (not Hilton's fault). Renting a car is another option, but alas, Hilton's parking options are costly and really problematic.

The hotel is billed as "oceanfront"; which it is NOT; it is situated on a dirty little lagoon. Our "oceanfront" room was 0.3 miles from the front lobby, and entrance to the pool lagoon area. Dining options are plentiful if you want to drop a car payment for a 2 hour meal.

The pool bar (which, WOW is it pricey for a drink - minimum 12 dollars) allows children in the immediate area where I viewed band-aids and floating tampon wrappers in the pool.

While I don’t normally mind kids, this place was OVERRUN with toddlers in soggy swimming diapers.

Upon check-in, they hand you a “disclaimer” about an extra fee per day for using the basic hotel amenities (in room coffee, towel, gym. . .) . Really? A HILTON hotel?

Room Tip: Our room was nice (Villas II). But it is FAR away from the lobby. Bring your hiking shoes.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Caribe Hilton during your recent visit to beautiful Puerto Rico.

We thank you for your feedback for this past visit to our hotel. We take your feedback very serious and will share them with our Management. We apologize for any inconvenient caused to you during your visit.

We thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your prompt return.

Cork - Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed here while in PR on business. First room I was alocated was in the Tower. Room was absolutely awful. Frayed & stained carpet, broken patio door, unsafe balcony railing... I refused to stay in it. Eventually after many calls to reception they moved me to a very nice suite type room. Kitchen, sofa area, separate bedroom. Nice view out over gardens and some of the ocean. Room was very quiet and comfortable. It was the total opposite of the first room!

Breakfast was good - good selection but crazy busy as this is a huge hotel with lots of cruiseship stop-off business. Other options in the hotel were good but expensive.

Pool areas a little in need of repair and upgrading but none the less nice. Very busy at weekends and prices of food/drink are crazy. But you have to try the Pina Colada - it was invented for this hotel.

Some entertainment at weekends and a nice crowd so I enjoyed this aspect of it too.

Private beach is not the nicest and does not resemble a caribbean beach but a 15min walk along the coast (&through some dodgy carpark) you find a long white sand beach.

San Juan is nice - very spanish and with loads of old world charm. Some excellent restaurants. You will need a taxi to get to the centre of old San Juan from the hotel though.

So a bad start but in the end a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Ask for updated rooms!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
We are so glad that this story had a great end! We are so happy to hear that you had a great time. Hope you visit us again soon!

always at your service,

Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I came here with my boyfriend for 5 days to visit the gorgeous island of puerto rico and wasn't really expecting this hotel to be nice, but boy was I wrong! The hotel is gorgeous with a private beach, view of condado, 3 pools and 2 hot tubs. there is a lot of hammocks to relax on and nice chairs and beds to lay on and chill. There's a swim up bar in the main infinity pool as well and that was really nice. My hotel room was on the 3rd floor and I believe it was the most basic room they had available .. it had a tiny balcony overlooking the ocean and sea but it was really nice in the rooms. the housekeeping woman always came in to give us extra towels and toiletries and of course to make our beds. The staff was very helpful and friendly also. They answered all questions and did everything we asked for. I am reading so many negative reviews about little things, I honestly don't know why people are complaining ... I truly believe it depends on the type of person you are and what you are used to. I had no problems, none at all. My room was very clean and the a/c worked well too. What I like about Caribe Hilton is the area and what it has to offer. Condado is not a far walk at all (about 15-20 minutes) it's really just across the bridge. It's also really nice to walk around that strip and explore too, there's a lot to see! I truly feel bad for those who had a bad time, I had freaking blast. You're truly really close to old san juan and only a bus ride away to Isla Verde! (75 cents) No complaints, I will be coming back soon! :)

Room Tip: I was on the third floor and the view was pretty nice
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Miami Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Arrived Thursday night had to wait over 45 minutes to check in due to computer system down. Front desk was very gracious and gave me an “upgrade” to the Villas. Not sure how much of an upgrade it really was since the only really good thing about it, was the view. I have to agree with what I have read here the hotel is in desperate need of some surgery.

The Good:
View from our room was very decent, front desk told me it was ocean front, would not call it that, but it was a courtesy of the hotel soooo I will not hold it against them.
Grounds:
Awesome! Very inviting, romantic, and relaxing, did I mention great views? From Thursday to Saturday, they play music in the bar which is really nice if you want to just go down and not have to leave. Drinks are to die for but very expensive had 1 mojito and 2 frozen drinks $60.00 w/ tip.
The Bad:
I am one that does not request room service. I always bring my own towel and do not have a problem making my bed. But the night we arrived we had gone out by the time we came back to the room it was 3:00a.m. when in the shower the tub was not draining properly obviously not calling at that time. Next morning when leaving the room housekeeping was there informed her what was going on she stated she will let maintenance know trusted she would. Came back to the hotel again after 1:00 a.m. NOTHING WAS DONE. Since I had read so many of the reviews here with similar situations that went unanswered I did not bother to call again. The next morning took the lid from the tub and it was FULL of hair!!!!!! NASTY! They really need to work on their house keeping skills; also day we got their the floor in the bathroom you could tell was not clean thoroughly since we found a small hair clip and the tub could have used some scrubbing. At check out front desk asked how things were explained to her what happened and she was just ok. no concern on her part, which the least she could have done was pretend she cared.
Overall:
Yes, I WOULD STAY here again, next time as soon as I check in and before I make myself comfortable I will check shower make sure it works, grounds are beautiful room was comfortable enough bed just better than ok.
Tips:
If staying in the villas I highly recommend to self-park. You end up being closer to that parking than the Valet not to mention Valet TOOK forever to bring my car the 1½ day I used them. On the last day we had breakfast at the Subway in the corner of the hotels within walking distance, they make an awesome omelette and at a great price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback on your room cleanliness while you visited us recently. Please accept our apologies. I am sharing your comments with our executive Housekeeper and rest assured we are taking corrective actions to prevent future guest from experiencing what you did.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you give us the opportunity of serve you in the near future.
Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!