“Exceeded my expectations!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Hartford, Connecticut
“Exceeded my expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I came here with my boyfriend for 5 days to visit the gorgeous island of puerto rico and wasn't really expecting this hotel to be nice, but boy was I wrong! The hotel is gorgeous with a private beach, view of condado, 3 pools and 2 hot tubs. there is a lot of hammocks to relax on and nice chairs and beds to lay on and chill. There's a swim up bar in the main infinity pool as well and that was really nice. My hotel room was on the 3rd floor and I believe it was the most basic room they had available .. it had a tiny balcony overlooking the ocean and sea but it was really nice in the rooms. the housekeeping woman always came in to give us extra towels and toiletries and of course to make our beds. The staff was very helpful and friendly also. They answered all questions and did everything we asked for. I am reading so many negative reviews about little things, I honestly don't know why people are complaining ... I truly believe it depends on the type of person you are and what you are used to. I had no problems, none at all. My room was very clean and the a/c worked well too. What I like about Caribe Hilton is the area and what it has to offer. Condado is not a far walk at all (about 15-20 minutes) it's really just across the bridge. It's also really nice to walk around that strip and explore too, there's a lot to see! I truly feel bad for those who had a bad time, I had freaking blast. You're truly really close to old san juan and only a bus ride away to Isla Verde! (75 cents) No complaints, I will be coming back soon! :)

Room Tip: I was on the third floor and the view was pretty nice
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Polish first
Miami Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Arrived Thursday night had to wait over 45 minutes to check in due to computer system down. Front desk was very gracious and gave me an “upgrade” to the Villas. Not sure how much of an upgrade it really was since the only really good thing about it, was the view. I have to agree with what I have read here the hotel is in desperate need of some surgery.

The Good:
View from our room was very decent, front desk told me it was ocean front, would not call it that, but it was a courtesy of the hotel soooo I will not hold it against them.
Grounds:
Awesome! Very inviting, romantic, and relaxing, did I mention great views? From Thursday to Saturday, they play music in the bar which is really nice if you want to just go down and not have to leave. Drinks are to die for but very expensive had 1 mojito and 2 frozen drinks $60.00 w/ tip.
The Bad:
I am one that does not request room service. I always bring my own towel and do not have a problem making my bed. But the night we arrived we had gone out by the time we came back to the room it was 3:00a.m. when in the shower the tub was not draining properly obviously not calling at that time. Next morning when leaving the room housekeeping was there informed her what was going on she stated she will let maintenance know trusted she would. Came back to the hotel again after 1:00 a.m. NOTHING WAS DONE. Since I had read so many of the reviews here with similar situations that went unanswered I did not bother to call again. The next morning took the lid from the tub and it was FULL of hair!!!!!! NASTY! They really need to work on their house keeping skills; also day we got their the floor in the bathroom you could tell was not clean thoroughly since we found a small hair clip and the tub could have used some scrubbing. At check out front desk asked how things were explained to her what happened and she was just ok. no concern on her part, which the least she could have done was pretend she cared.
Overall:
Yes, I WOULD STAY here again, next time as soon as I check in and before I make myself comfortable I will check shower make sure it works, grounds are beautiful room was comfortable enough bed just better than ok.
Tips:
If staying in the villas I highly recommend to self-park. You end up being closer to that parking than the Valet not to mention Valet TOOK forever to bring my car the 1½ day I used them. On the last day we had breakfast at the Subway in the corner of the hotels within walking distance, they make an awesome omelette and at a great price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for your feedback on your room cleanliness while you visited us recently. Please accept our apologies. I am sharing your comments with our executive Housekeeper and rest assured we are taking corrective actions to prevent future guest from experiencing what you did.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you give us the opportunity of serve you in the near future.
Dahlonega, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Expensive. Air conditioner filter was really really bad. Toilet leaked. Outside on the balcony all you could hear was the air conditioner and none of the ocean. On the other hand the pool was nice and we enjoyed being on the ocean beds. Hard to rate.. the bad was bad, but the good was good. It is WAY overpriced though... if they could come down a little on their prices it would be a little better.. Definitely dated property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

A very beautiful and spacious hotel in the heart of the tourist area old San Juan is less than 5 minutes away by car and the condado is right across the bridge which I had a great view from my balcony. The private beach is small but leaves averyone with enough room to enjoy the great weather we had three pools but we spent most of our mornings on the beach. The hotel food is very pricey I spent 80 dollars on breakfast for two on my first morning so I suggest eating off the resort it is cheaper and you find all kinds of food from traditional puerto rican food to chilies

• Stayed August 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

My wife, teenage daughter and I stayed here for 2 days and it was extremely crowed. Great place if you like a lot of loud music, activity and people. Parking sucks and is very expensive so don't drive a car if you don't have to. Good location to get to Old San Juan about 5 min drive.
Don't plan on relaxing or saving money

• Stayed August 2012
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you for sharing this feedback with us, we really appreciated. There is always room for improvement and feedback help us reach our goal. Thank you again!
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a wedding (which was also being held at the hotel) and we decided to make a long weekend out of it. We were not disappointed. The hotel is in a great location, as it is a short drive to Old San Juan, which is definitely worth a visit. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, and ours had a terrace that overlooked the ocean. The hotel offers several restaurant options. We tried the Italian restaurant, and the pan-Asian restaurant Lemongrass (try the dragon fruit mojito!), which were both quite good. The buffet breakfast at the restaurant facing the pool area was a bit pricey, but good. The resort has a private beach that is a part of the hotel complex (and does not extend past the hotel). I loved it because it was designed to keep the rougher surf far from guests, which allowed for calm waters near the shore for snorkeling and taking a dip (not great for any surfers out there though, I would imagine). Also check out the large pool area with waterfalls and a shaded pool bar for one of their world famous pina coladas (the hotel's claim to fame is that the drink was invented here)! The Olas Spa at the hotel was Ahh-mazing! We had an excellent couples massage here that was one of the highlights of our entire trip! All and all we were happy with my stay here, and would certainly stay here again or recommend to a friend!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Wow! It is so great to hear that you had an awesome time while in Caribe Hilton!

Hope you had fun at the wedding, Old San Juan and hope that SPA day was memorable.

thank you so much for your kind words, we hope to welcome you back soon.
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week at the Caribe Hilton and after all the negative reviews I read, I really felt compelled to share our experience. I first stayed at the Caribe about 20 yrs. ago, lived in PR for several years and have visited the property several times. Reading all the negative reviews, I was afraid our favorite San Juan Hotel had fallen on hard times. So it was with some trepidation that I made our reservation. We arrived early, about noon, and Laura at the front desk greeted us cheerfully and "no problem" had us in a room in the Honors Tower within 5 min. tops. Unfortunately, my husband wasn't happy with the view, returned to the front desk and informed Laura he didn't come on vacation to have "a view of a parking lot". His rudeness aside, she upgraded us at no charge to an Ocean view - and obviously a recently renovated room. I think many of the complaints came from folks who were in rooms not yet renovated. Our bed and bedding were impeccable, Housekeeper had us spoiled (he even lined up my shoes!) Bathroom was immaculate, updated and in perfect working order.
The area around the hotel is safe with a strong police presence - can't tell you how many officers we witnessed on every corner - they even gave us directions on more than one occasion. You cannot go up in the elevators without inserting your room key. Tiny Luncheonette/Cafetaria called the Tropical Gift Shop across the street had terrific breakfast and lunch - real Boricua cuisine at a fraction of the cost at the Hotel. Arround the corner was the restaurant Nativa Sauce - just amazing Salmon and Tostones, Chicken with Trifongo, etc., also very reasonably priced. There is a refrigerator in the room, so why not BYOB? I'll pay $12 one time for a great cocktail, but that gets old pretty quickly.
As everyone has agreed, the beach and pool area, in fact all the public areas, are what makes the Caribe Hilton a special place. Like the Realtor says: Location, Location, Location: The Hilton was blessed with a very special location, nestled between the Condado and San Jeronimo Fort on one side, San Cristobal on the other - its a short walk across the Dos Hermanos Bridge into the Condado w/its Casinos and Restaurants. Try the Niche Restaurant located within the Hotel Acacia in the Condado - fabulous, unique cuisine that should be experienced at least once.
Some reviews here even criticized the wildlife at the Hotel - I thought it was amazing that there was a Peacock and Turkey couple on the grounds - or that there were children about. As most people know, Puerto Ricans are very family oriented and the Caribe is very popular with the locals and I think that's the best compliment of all, that the people who know the area best choose to stay at the Caribe Hilton.....and so do I!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for a room with the view you prefer or one that has recently been renovat...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. It was certainly a pleasure to have you as a guest.
Feedback is our most valuable tool to evaluate and improve ourselves.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon!
Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!