“We will return” 5 of 5 stars

$169 (USD)
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
“We will return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

A very beautiful and spacious hotel in the heart of the tourist area old San Juan is less than 5 minutes away by car and the condado is right across the bridge which I had a great view from my balcony. The private beach is small but leaves averyone with enough room to enjoy the great weather we had three pools but we spent most of our mornings on the beach. The hotel food is very pricey I spent 80 dollars on breakfast for two on my first morning so I suggest eating off the resort it is cheaper and you find all kinds of food from traditional puerto rican food to chilies

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (912)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

My wife, teenage daughter and I stayed here for 2 days and it was extremely crowed. Great place if you like a lot of loud music, activity and people. Parking sucks and is very expensive so don't drive a car if you don't have to. Good location to get to Old San Juan about 5 min drive.
Don't plan on relaxing or saving money

• Stayed August 2012
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you for sharing this feedback with us, we really appreciated. There is always room for improvement and feedback help us reach our goal. Thank you again!
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a wedding (which was also being held at the hotel) and we decided to make a long weekend out of it. We were not disappointed. The hotel is in a great location, as it is a short drive to Old San Juan, which is definitely worth a visit. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, and ours had a terrace that overlooked the ocean. The hotel offers several restaurant options. We tried the Italian restaurant, and the pan-Asian restaurant Lemongrass (try the dragon fruit mojito!), which were both quite good. The buffet breakfast at the restaurant facing the pool area was a bit pricey, but good. The resort has a private beach that is a part of the hotel complex (and does not extend past the hotel). I loved it because it was designed to keep the rougher surf far from guests, which allowed for calm waters near the shore for snorkeling and taking a dip (not great for any surfers out there though, I would imagine). Also check out the large pool area with waterfalls and a shaded pool bar for one of their world famous pina coladas (the hotel's claim to fame is that the drink was invented here)! The Olas Spa at the hotel was Ahh-mazing! We had an excellent couples massage here that was one of the highlights of our entire trip! All and all we were happy with my stay here, and would certainly stay here again or recommend to a friend!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Wow! It is so great to hear that you had an awesome time while in Caribe Hilton!

Hope you had fun at the wedding, Old San Juan and hope that SPA day was memorable.

thank you so much for your kind words, we hope to welcome you back soon.
Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week at the Caribe Hilton and after all the negative reviews I read, I really felt compelled to share our experience. I first stayed at the Caribe about 20 yrs. ago, lived in PR for several years and have visited the property several times. Reading all the negative reviews, I was afraid our favorite San Juan Hotel had fallen on hard times. So it was with some trepidation that I made our reservation. We arrived early, about noon, and Laura at the front desk greeted us cheerfully and "no problem" had us in a room in the Honors Tower within 5 min. tops. Unfortunately, my husband wasn't happy with the view, returned to the front desk and informed Laura he didn't come on vacation to have "a view of a parking lot". His rudeness aside, she upgraded us at no charge to an Ocean view - and obviously a recently renovated room. I think many of the complaints came from folks who were in rooms not yet renovated. Our bed and bedding were impeccable, Housekeeper had us spoiled (he even lined up my shoes!) Bathroom was immaculate, updated and in perfect working order.
The area around the hotel is safe with a strong police presence - can't tell you how many officers we witnessed on every corner - they even gave us directions on more than one occasion. You cannot go up in the elevators without inserting your room key. Tiny Luncheonette/Cafetaria called the Tropical Gift Shop across the street had terrific breakfast and lunch - real Boricua cuisine at a fraction of the cost at the Hotel. Arround the corner was the restaurant Nativa Sauce - just amazing Salmon and Tostones, Chicken with Trifongo, etc., also very reasonably priced. There is a refrigerator in the room, so why not BYOB? I'll pay $12 one time for a great cocktail, but that gets old pretty quickly.
As everyone has agreed, the beach and pool area, in fact all the public areas, are what makes the Caribe Hilton a special place. Like the Realtor says: Location, Location, Location: The Hilton was blessed with a very special location, nestled between the Condado and San Jeronimo Fort on one side, San Cristobal on the other - its a short walk across the Dos Hermanos Bridge into the Condado w/its Casinos and Restaurants. Try the Niche Restaurant located within the Hotel Acacia in the Condado - fabulous, unique cuisine that should be experienced at least once.
Some reviews here even criticized the wildlife at the Hotel - I thought it was amazing that there was a Peacock and Turkey couple on the grounds - or that there were children about. As most people know, Puerto Ricans are very family oriented and the Caribe is very popular with the locals and I think that's the best compliment of all, that the people who know the area best choose to stay at the Caribe Hilton.....and so do I!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for a room with the view you prefer or one that has recently been renovat...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. It was certainly a pleasure to have you as a guest.
Feedback is our most valuable tool to evaluate and improve ourselves.

Looking forward to welcome you back soon!
Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager
Edgewood, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

It was nice to relax and have a private beach as well as close to many things. Only thing I did not like it having to have guests pay to park when they came to visit. Rooms are rather small for being a Hilton...Very pricey for the restaraunts. The only other problem are the birds in the lobby are very pretty but LOUD as well as the peacock that can be heard through the balcony doors and when it likes to make it's sound it will wake you up!! The elevators kept breaking so the wait was a long while until you found where the service elevator was and you could take that.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
LGMarcano, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the parking charges and the amount of noise in the lobby. Your comments will help us to improve our guest experience and we are now actively looking for ways to keep the noise to a minimum. We hope you will consider staying with us again.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

No complaints at all! (I did send an email requesting a renovated room prior to my arrival). We stayed in the garden wing...absolutey beautiful! Awesome staff, from the front desk, to the concierge, to housekeeping. I would definaltey recommend!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
WOW!! That's what we love to hear!! It's great to hear that you had a great time! Thank you for your feedback!
Barnegat, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I only stay at Hilton Hotels and I have to say that I will not be back. I took my entire family to Puerto Rico during the month of August and stayed a whole week at this hotel. I never complain, but there are some major problems, especially with the hotel room. It was not that clean, the sink leaked, A/C was terrible, shower shut down during the last two days and needed to be fixed. It appears to me that they would make the beds, fill your towels and run to the next room. There was a balcony with a small table and two chairs over looking the ocean, beautiful view. But, they dont clean the area of the balcony or wipe down the table. Also, the floors dont appear to be moped and the rug was dirty for a newer room. The security was lacking in the pool and beach area. I even met some people who came into the resort who were not staying at the hotel. There was no one cleaning up the area of the beach and pool area during the day. There were cups, napkins and other garbage all over the place. I saw employees walk right by this stuff, without cleaning it up. I even picked up garbage because it was an eye sore. They give you a card when you check into the hotel which suppose to be presented when making a purchase for alcohol or food. Well guess what, I was asked twice throughout the entire week. On Saturday, they finally had a security guard at the front of the pool checking for this pass and people were turned way. Alcohol and food was expensive, but that is expected. The Hotel has some restuarants, which are descent. My wife had a massage at the spa on hotel grounds and the "massage" was good. However, the spa was run down inside and smelled like mold. Don't waste your money and go somewhere else. There are no restuarants at a short distance from the hotel, but Subway. But there are two liquor stores. The taxi cabs run about $3.00 a person from the hotel to Old San Juan, plus tip if you want. You can find better restaurants here with better prices. We went to the Barrachina (Old San Juan) on Saturday night and they had Flamingo dancers. The food was great and the show was incredible. They only do it on Friday and Saturday nights (free), and you need a reservation. On a good note,the hotel employees were great. This would include the bus boys, parking attendants, wait staff (especially Arlene in pool area), conceirge (especially Maria C.) and hotel check in employees. I read trip advisor before I went and noticed some of the things which were written about the hotel, Yes, they have made some changes, but a long way to go. If your looking for tours we had a blast on the East Wind Catamaran snorkeling trip. Also, if you want to go ziplining/kayaking/canopy bridge; visit Campo Rico Ziplining Adventure. This tour was fantastic and the guides "Ludgardo" and "Luigi" were awesome. They were professional, friendly and a lot of fun. Again, thanks to both of you!

Room Tip: If your a Hilton Hotel Honors member stay in their separate towers. We asked for an upgrade and got...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback on your experience while you visited us recently. Please accept our apologies. We are very sorry that you will not consider to visit us again. Feedback like yours help us to take corrective actions to prevent future guest from experiencing what you did.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you give us the opportunity of serve you in the near future.

Nelson Torrres, Hotel Manager

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!