“Great place to relax!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Baltimore
“Great place to relax!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I amd my wife and son all went to the Cribe Hilton to relax early August. Great place, wonderful private beach, large expansive swimming pool with 2 jacuzzi's, outside restaurant etc. Good food and drinks. The place is very big, multiple places to eat along with a Starbucks. They have a conferece center and with all of this we never felt crowded whether at the beach or the pool, thebar, their restaurants etc..
Keep in mind they are doing renovations and if you want a very good room ask for one in the main building from floors 3-7. They are roomy with all the amenities.
The Caribe Hilton is walking distence to some very good restaurants and a short distence to Old San Juan. Enjoy and I would god back again for sure.

Room Tip: Don't forget to ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nelson T, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you for your kinds words!
We are very glad to hear that you and your family had a blast. That is our main purpose, for each of our guests to leave already expecting to return.

at your service

Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (846)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, AL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I had the chance to stay at this hotel for a business trip August 1-5. Overall, the hotel is absolutely beautiful. The beach and pool area, as well as the tropical garden are spectacular! Our check-in didn't take long and our rooms were ready, even though we arrived there early. My front desk receptionist was not very friendly. I never got a smile, and she was very snappy with me when I asked a question. I just shrugged it off, no big deal. My room was in the garden building on the bottom floor. I was extremely dissapointed in the cleanliness of my room. There was dust everywhere. Someone else's hair was on the floor and in the bathroom shower. I am a bit of a germophobe, so needless to say this bothered me. I had already read reviews about dirty rooms from others. I just used some Lysol and antibacterial wipes and cleaned myself. I did complain to the front desk, and left the housekeeper a $5 tip the next morning but it didn't seem to make much difference. My bedding looked clean, so I was okay with that. The odd thing was that my bed was like a murphy bed. You know the kind that you pull out from the wall. Not what you would expect in a "4-star" hotel.
I had to check out one of the $12 mojitos at the pool bar to see if it was worth it. I don't know if it was a result of my flirting with the bartender, but my drink was quite strong. It was probably equivalent to two. I still didn't buy anymore though. I just went to the mini-mart and bought my own rum and stocked my room. If you can get to Old San Juan, there is a CVS across from the port where the cruise ships come in. They had the best price on Don Q. The mini-mart by the hotel was about $10 higher.
We ate at Morton's the first night, which was overpriced and very average food. I had breakfast at il Giardino every morning, which was good, and the breakfast buffet at Palmeras, which was great! I also had a lunch at the Pina Colada Bar, which was awesome. The latin sandwich was delicious, and the bartender made me a great white sangria.
Overall, the hotel was okay. I think if I had been paying for it myself, I would have been dissapointed. I only had to pay for one night, but it still wasn't worth the $199 price tag. This hotel really needs to light a fire under the housekeeping staff. While the lobby areas look to be clean, the rooms and hallways are not. The same dust bunnies that greated me on Wednesday were still there to bid me farewell on Sunday. They also forgot to leave me washcloths on Saturday, and it took two phone calls and a 30 minute wait to get some. I probably would not stay here again if I had the choice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
LGMarcano, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton as your “home away from home” during your visit to beautiful Puerto Rico. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience while in property, you feedback is important to us in order to better understand your need and where we can improve. We will share your comments with our Department Heads to address such issues, specially the Housekeeping Director in order to take corrective actions. Your experience is not indicative of the level of service that has distinguished the Caribe Hilton for decades. We take pride in our property and always aim to exceed guest’s expectation. We thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your prompt return.
Portage, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Our 3rd trip to the Caribe Hilton. Not a perfect or luxurious hotel. Has many faults- food over priced and awful, lots of things overpriced, full of locals on Sunday, beach not raked and it goes on. However the location is incredible. The beach is lovely and safe and there seems to be some charm that keeps us coming back. It is not run like a luxury hotel. Do not order food from the pool bar. Our little league ball field has a better food at the concession stand at 1/16 th of the price. The gym is very pleasant with a potentially magnificent view but the TV's on the equipment block it mostly. Could be incredible but falls way short and seems to be gradually getting worse. Shame.

• Stayed August 2012
San Jose
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Made reservation on Priceline (Approx $110 / night including tax)

The Good
- Nice room
- Comfy bed
- Great beach area.
- Lots of comfy hammocks under palm trees.
- Nice shower, great big tub.

The Bad
- Daily undisclosed resort fee ($17 including tax) doesn't cover in-room Internet service.
- Sink water pressure (approximately 8 oz / minute)
- Next door construction noise each day after 9am (probably only for Priceline guests).
- Thermostat cannot be set to less than 68 degrees.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments, your feedback is important to us in order to better understand your need and where we can improve. We will share your comments with our Department Heads to address such issues.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Ocean view for a great deal.

The best.

We got a great deal on this hotel and had an ocean front room we book through hilton.com.

The grounds, the pool, the lobby are were so nice and welcoming. Plenty of space to have some privacy in all areas.

The beach is fine which it was better but that's nature.

Wow the drinks were sooo good. They really know how to make drinks and super friendly. (Inside Bar before going out to pool has the best drinks)

We only ate breakfast at the hotel and they have a Starbucks too so no problems with that. The buffet restaurants were good too.

Very close to Old San Juan and convienient to a number of Restaurants. Please try Inaru Restaurant. Classy, right price, great service and the food was superb. (Don't waste your time on Raices (Dineyland) yuk.

Hotel rooms were perfect. The hotel is going through a major renovation and those rooms are so clean and the decoration and furniture are nice, the bedding as well.

In summary.

It is a great hotel for a weekend trip. You'll have fun for sure.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments! Good to hear that you enjoyed our tropical drinks!

Our bartenders are always ready to make our guests have a blast enjoying our famous, piña coladas, mojitos and sangria!

We hope you come back to visit us. it will always be a pleasure to receive you again in the Caribe Hilton.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

We are aCtually staying at The Caribe Hilton as I write this. Let me break it down for you as I see it First the positives, the beach and pool area is really exceptional! Very well maintained with Lots of places to hang out without feeling crowded. A never ending supply of chairs, hammocks, benches etc. Rooms are clean and beds are extremely comfy. Now for the negatives, which I'm sorry to say outway the former. You are a totally captive audience at this hotel. EVERYTHING is way overpriced! 2 drinks at the lobby bar...$30 Dinner at one of the restaurants.....$150 (not Morton's) A 15 min. cab ride....$21. ( and of course all these services require tips!) if you forget something and think that you can pick it up at the hotel shop or one nearby, forget it!! The stores within walking distance mark everything up 1000 per cent. I also found the staff to be pleasent but completely unprofessional and unhelpful. Every time I asked a question at the front desk the girl mumbled some evasive answer that was not even worth pursuing. This is our third day here and this hotel has me feeling a little violated.

• Stayed August 2012
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed here for our first year anniversary and we loved the hotel. We stayed in the villas in the rear of the hotel. It has a smaller pook and whirlpool. Plus its right next to the Pan-Asian restaurant, Lemongrass. The lobby and the main pool is of course the hotel's best attraction but being able to step out at night and dive into the pool was a perk. We did make our way to the main pool at night as well but it wasn't as cozy. There is really no reason to leave the vacinity of the hotel if all you want to do is visit a beach. We prefer resorts because the food is included and you have night time entertainmnet but this is a good place to visit on a long weekend. There are several restaurants attached but their prices are not worth the food. As residents in the restaurant capital of the world, NYC, we were dissapointed in the food selection nearby and felt it lack the Boriqua culture. Visit Old San Juan or Condado for that.

Room Tip: Rooms are based on preference but there is construction on site so ask about location before taking...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello there!
Thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton for your recent visit to beautiful Puerto Rico.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience while at our property. We appreciate your feedback and will share with our Management.

We hope to see you back in the near future!
Nelson Torres, Hotel Manager

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!