“Fun in the sun at the Caribe!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rates From $99
Ranked #16 of 47 hotels in San Juan
New York, NY
“Fun in the sun at the Caribe!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Caribe Hilton in July four four days. There is quite a bit of construction happening at the site - near the parking lot, which is away from the main building. We didn't hear much noise where we stayed.

Upon check-in, we were told that our room wasn't ready and that we could enjoy the amenities while we waited. (Check-in is at 4pm and we arrived at 2:15pm.) After about 40 minutes our room was finally ready and we were upgraded to an ocean view room in the main building. Nice room and very modern!

We immediately went to sleep - mattress was wonderful.

The grounds are very pretty, lots of areas where you can just sit and relax and take in the cool ocean breeze. There are numerous pools and jacuzzis to relax and unwind. Room service is pretty pricey. We traveled with a child and requested a glass of warm milk, which was $5 plus $5 delivery fee, plus state tax. A can of soda is $5 - the vending machine is $1.50 but they only sell Coke and Sprite. Hotel restaurants are pricey too! Having traveled to PR quite a number of times, my husband and I know a number of locals spots like Bebos and Bebos cafe. I would also suggest stopping at Walgreens and stocking up on water and juice especially if you are traveling with children. There is a mini refrigerator in the room but no microwave.

There is a Hertz car rental at the resort if you decide to rent a car. We rented a car at the airport and paid $20 for valet parking ($16 for self parking) per day. I suggest that you stick with valet given the garage is a good walk away from the main entrance.

There is a Starbucks on site and seven restaurants. Piña Colada club is the cheapest. Between 5-7pm the bar sells different tapas ranging in price from $3-$9.

If you want to enjoy your time at the pool, arrive early. Chairs fill quickly. There is a hammock section, swim bar, and children's playground with basketball court.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and would come back again!

Overall we enjoyed our time at the Caribe and would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012

3,651 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Polish first
Brandon, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had two stays here this month. Both of them were good and relaxing, but the hotel is definitely showing its age. I had not been there since 1995. My first time was at the beginning of June and the second time I was there 6/30-7/2. In my second trip I was given a renovated room. The decor is really sweet looking. Downstairs you will find great ambiance, hammocks, pool bar and a private beach with tanning deck. Everything is 7/10, what brings it down to a 6 for me is the nickel and dime attitude of the staff. I was charged $5 for them bringing a corkscrew the same night I had room service. It was absurd. I spent 2 days @ the San Juan and the difference was night and day. If you get it cheap, this is a good stay mid to high end hotel, otherwise opt for the San Juan Hotel or Ritz. I am a Hilton Diamond member, but that doesn't mean much here.

Room Tip: Get the rooms on the Normandy side closest to the pool and beach area.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Ventura, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great hotel, nice pool, good food and close to Old San Juan. We will be back. They had a problem with elevators but they fix it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

While the hotel itself wasn't bad, I really didn't like the way we were treated by the hotel staff, namely the front desk. We were put in a room directly next to some construction going on, but not informed of the construction at check-in (strike 1). When the construction woke us up at 7:30am the next morning (which everyone loves while on a relaxing vacation...), I complained to the front desk. No apologies, no offer to change rooms, just a whole lot of excuses (strike 2). Since the next day was a Saturday, I confirmed with the hotel that the construction would cease over the weekend and kept my original room. They confirmed that no construction would be going on over the weekend. WRONG! The next morning, the construction continued. I didn't even bother complaining again because I knew they wouldn't care.

On top of the construction, our room was poorly cleaned on a daily basis (strike 3) and I felt the hotel was really overpriced for what it offered. The location wasn't great either - you're pretty much stuck at the resort unless you want to pay exorbitant cab fares. I should have stayed with my original reservation at a different hotel.

Last thing - there were kids everywhere at the resort. Which would have been great if we had kids with us, but this was supposed to be our alone time for just the two of us. Probably a better resort to stay in if you have kids.

Room Tip: Villa rooms are bigger and more modern, but also next to the construction site
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The pool and the Beach sold us on this hotel!

The room was nice, nothing extraordinary. However the bathroom was AWESOME!! Staff was friendly.

This is a great place to stay if you want easy beach access and a nice pool to hang at.

The only truly negative thing about this hotel is it really isn't in a comfortable walking distance to anything, so bring cab money!

Best tip I can give, DO NOT BUY beer/liquor at the bodegas near the hotel, one wanted $21 for a 6 pack the rest where $15-18. There is a CVS in Old San Juan. Before you head back to the hotel stop there and you can get a 12-case for under $10. They even sell liquor at comparable US prices. There are mini fridges in the room to hold all of your pregaming drinks!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Wasn't sure about some of the reviews, but since I was traveling with my mother and brother and it was one of the only NICE places in San Juan where I could rent a two-bedroom suite I booked. (You really have to watch where you stay in SJ.) Stayed one night (6/30) before our cruise and had no complaints whatsoever.

The check-in line was long but since I am Hilton Honors I checked in at the HH line and there was no wait. I asked if the room had been renovated and was told that the 10th floor of the main building hadn't been renovated yet but the room was nice and had the best view. She was right!!! The suite consisted of room 1031, 1033 and 1037. We had 2 full bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms (one was gigantic enough to have a whirlpool tub, double sink and a giant glass shower stall), a large room between the bedrooms that contained a conference type table and chairs and also a nice sized living room-like seating area with furniture. There were also many closets and we had 4 balconies. The view was of the ocean, the fort on the property and the area. (Front desk was right about the amazing view!)

The room could have used a bit of updating but it actually really wasn't bad. No stains on the carpeting, furniture and the beds were comfy, comfy, comfy.

Italian restaurant in the lobby was nice too. Ate lunch and dinner there. The prices were a bit high but what you would expect to pay in a resort of this kind or touristy city. Morton's was WAY overpriced so we skipped it.

All in all, I would stay here again. Great staff. Great rooms. Great views. Great Food. Great property. Great location. No problems whatsoever. I got what I paid for. They really need to clean the windows and doors in the lobby though.

Room Tip: Either ask for a renovated one OR stay in a suite.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I will not be staying here again because my room was not clean, the terlephone did not work and it took a whole day to have it fixed. There are too may good hotels in the area (eg El San Juan, Intercontinental, La Concha... to name a few, that are much better!
I rather pay more for a better room.

I do have to say that the staff was very friendly and this made up for some of the problems.
The pool area is very nice, but does need renovation.

Finally, who placed the screeching birds near check-in???
They are beautiful, but make too much noise in an area where you are trying to listen and speak.
PLease! relocate them to somewhere else where they will be an asset not a nuisance.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!