“BEAUTIFUL!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Puerto Rico
“BEAUTIFUL!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Atractive, funny, beautiful and I got a great offer with JetBlue. This hotel is so cute, the breakfast buffet it's so delicious and luxurious. The pool is nice. Caribe Hilton is a comfort place to stay, it's near Subway, El Hamburger, and in taxi is near many good restaurants. San Juan is the best place to stay in Puerto Rico if you want experience the tropical island. San Juan it's classic, luxurious, and have great places for night life.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Glad to hear that you had a blast during your stay! This is what is all about making our guest feel great and have lots of fun! Thank you for the feedback

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (846)
  • Polish first
Fairfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

We stayed on the property two nights before departing on a cruise. We checked in and headed up to the room, the room had not been cleaned, it was set up for a family with a toddler and there was mold growing everywhere in the bathroom, so naturally the room stunk. We requested to move to a different room and next room was better although there was still a little bit of mold, we were exhausted and just stuck with it as it was only for two nights. The pool area was nice but almost always crowded, even by 7am. If you get the chance, try "Porters Steakhouse" on the property but call ahead to make a reservation. There are many bars on the property as well.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thanks for the review! We are right now on a renovation process; we just finished half of the Main Building and the rest will be finished by the end of the year! It's great to hear that you enjoyed Morton's The Steakhouse!! Thank you again!
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

This hotel is popular because of it's location and that's about it. The rooms are old and outdated, and the service I received during my stay was awful.

To make a long story short, my husband and I were traveling on business. We had some flight issues and our luggage was arriving on a different plane, shortly after we landed. We checked into the hotel on a Monday evening and were told by the airline that our luggage would be delivered to the hotel later that night.

I called the front desk, bell stand and concierge later that evening and was told that our bags were not at the hotel. The next morning, again I called the front desk, bell stand and concierge to find out if our bags arrived. I called multiple times in the morning, afternoon and evening, and still our bags were not there, even though the airline had told me they were delivered.

Since we had a meeting our first day in Puerto Rico, we had not choice but to purchase the bare necessities in the gift shop, which included toiletries and new clothing, which cost nearly $400. When we returned to our room that Tuesday evening, I again called the bell stand and was told our bags did not arrive. I walked down to the lobby, and sure enough saw our bags! As it turns out, our bags were at the hotel the entire time! They indeed arrived at the Hilton on Monday evening shortly after we checked in, but the hotel never informed us! We had to spend $400 of our own money for no reason.

When I called the manager to explain the situation, he was unapologetic. When I asked him for a refund from the gift shop, he told me to call the airline and ask them for a refund. Clearly it was not the airline's fault since the bags arrived at the hotel shortly after we checked in! He told me the best he could do was refund $100, which I found unacceptable. I was shocked at the level of unprofessionalism and lack of customer service. Clearly the hotel messed up, and they were unwilling to fix the situation.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we really appreciate the feedback. We are deeply sorry for all the miscommunication during your stay. We made a full investigation regarding this issue and there were several attempts from our team members to contact you regarding your luggage but they went unanswered. There is no excuse for any lack of customer service and that is why we are re-training all our bellman’s to avoid any miscommunications like this one in the future. Thank you again for your feedback!
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I was offered a wheelchair accessible room because I requested two double beds and they didn't have any other available. The room was very spacious.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review, we appreciate the feedback!
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I've been there several times and In overall my opinion is that this is a good hotel to stay. A kind pricey, but has a good swimming pool and jacuzzi, several bars and restaurants, etc. The piña colada is very nice. I'd recommend this hotel for those going on vacation and pleasure rather than for business.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Thanks for the review! We hope to see you soon!
SHOREVIEW
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

We like the hotel location and the hotel staff (Julio and Karen) who served us well. However, we also had poor services and were over charged. For example, the internet in our room was not working. Each day we called the hotel and asked them to fix the problem. The hotel told us to call an independent technical service. A person of the independent technical service tried to do trouble shooting via the telephone but it did not work. He told us that he would send someone to fix the problem for us the same evening. Later, a hotel staff showed up with a cable but told us he did not know how to fix the internet. He said he was told to deliver us the cable. Someone came to our room the next day while we were out, but the internet still did not work. We were there for a week without internet service. When we checked out and told the front desk the internet problem, the staff told us that they could not guarantee that the internet would work. The hotel advertised that there would be free internet service for us, but they failed to provide the service. Considering the hotel fees were extremely high (e.g. room charge, tax plus resort fees each day), we believe the hotel should compensate us in some way. When we asked them the question, the hotel staff answered: We were not allowed to do that.

We had to leave the hotel very early to catch the flight. Thus, we did not have enough time to go through the long list of charges. When we got home, we found we were charged Bellmen service and Maid service twice plus municipal and state taxes on the same day. We never used any Bellmen service when we were there. They did not even come and open our car door when we arrived at the hotel or departed from the hotel. We had to carry our luggage to the room and from the room to the car. No one came and asked if we would need help. Each day we left the maid a tip, but the hotel still charged us for the maid service. We don't mind pay the services, but we were not informed of those charges before we booked the hotel. Nothing is transparent in the process.

We were there for a conference. Each day, hundreds of people used elevator, but only one (and small) elevator was working properly. We told the staff about the problem, she said she was not aware of that.

A hotel staff recommended us to try a hotel restaurant. We did and found it very expensive. A noodle dish cost us about US$30. There are not too many good restaurants nearby.

Though some hotel staff (Julio and Karen) were very nice and helpful, overall the hotel services need lots of improvement.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we really appreciate the feedback. We are deeply sorry that you left our property feeling this way, this is unacceptable. We do charge on the Convention and Conference's rates a bellman's and maid service charges and that is contracted by directly the group. Thank you again for your feedback!
Weslaco, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I travel to Puerto Rico for work about three to four times a year staying anywhere from one to three weeks at a time. I must say, my stays at this hotel will end soon as I will look for another Hilton property. I've been staying here on every visit for the last four years but my experiences continue to worsen. The hotel has a beautiful open lobby and a very welcoming environment...until you get to your room. I have stayed in every section of the hotel and the rooms need some major renovation. On my most recent stay, which was the first week of May, I noticed the black mold around my shower. The sliding door leading to the balcony was practically welded shut. It was rusty and very tough to open. The room had a moldy, mildewy smell to it. They have peacocks that wail every morning...5:45-6:00am. Not to mention the planes leaving the small nearby airport around the same time the peacocks wake you up. You can forget trying to sleep in. The towels look and feel old. I'm saddened to say that on my next trip in July, it looks like I will be staying at another hotel. For the amount of money paid per night, I expect much nicer rooms and a comfortable sleep. It's a great place for a family vacation but only if plan to stay out of your room as much as possible.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
You are TOTALLY RIGHT!! It is time for a change! And that is why we just finished renovating half of our Main Building, the rest of the renovation is schedule to be finishe later this year!! Thank you for the support for the past years! Please contact me directly and I will make sure that you try one of our new rooms! You'll love them!!

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!