I recently stayed here, from February 16th to the 21st, 2012. I loved it and would definitely come back. I've stayed in the Marriott in Condado, and at El Convento in Old San Juan, but this was my favorite place as a place to stay for a whole trip to Puerto Rico. We spent this trip in the San Juan area (besides an excursion to El Yunque, booked through the hotel concierge for $77/person). The Caribe Hilton has it's own private beach, unlike the other hotels in Condado (one long public beach with private pool areas) or in Old San Juan (no beach). We could walk 40 minutes west to Old San Juan or 30 minutes east to Condado, or 15 minutes south to Miramar, or take a fast $12 cab ride from the hotel to Old San Juan (not sure how much to Condado, since we walked it. We didn't rent a car, but if you did, they have a parking lot.
As for the hotel itself, it's clean and chic, and we stayed in one of their "renovated rooms". Not sure if the check-in woman just wanted to make us feel better that our floor still had a little dust from putting in the new carpeting, and they just finished putting up the artwork by the elevator on our floor the day after we checked in. But it was good to know everything was brand new, and the hotel room was beautiful! But beware, we stayed on the 3rd floor on the west side, and it was right over the mechanical roof of the lobby, so when our door was open, we could hear a droning sound. But it wasn't anything too bad. If you are on a higher floor, you probably wouldn't hear anything.
All of the hotel staff were pretty friendly, including the three parrots in the lobby, who know how to say "hola" and "hello". At night, you can hear the coquis all around outside. Something you'd miss if you stayed in Condado.
The beach area was so great, we didn't even go in the pool. They used riprap to create a sort of lagoon, with a gradually sloping beach facing north and west. It's not a very large beach, but even though there were a lot of people (president's day weekend), there was still plenty of beach chairs, umbrellas, and room to swim. The hammocks tended to get filled up until the afternoon (but they are awesome for when you want to get a break from the sun in the dappled shade of the palm trees), and the couches out over the water also got claimed early in the morning. We were hitting the beach around 9am each time we spent the morning at the hotel. The bar food is surprisingly plentiful, which made the price not so bad (I'm from New York though, so if you're from somewhere else, you may think it's expensive). Pina coladas are $10, from a mix, but pretty good and refreshing, with a maraschino cherry in each one.
All in all, it has a great location right between Old San Juan, Condado, and Miramar, the private beach is great, and the room was chic and comfortable. I will definitely plan to come back here on my next trip. Only took me three trips to Puerto Rico to find it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Caribe Hilton hotel, one of the most luxurious hotels in Puerto Rico, is set on an exclusive peninsula, made up of 17 acres of lush tropical gardens. This Puerto Rico Hilton is ideally situated between historic old San Juan and the exciting Condado area, offering a secluded beach, lavish accommodations and amenities tailored to families, couples and business travelers alike. This San Juan hotel is just a 15-minute drive from Luis Munoz Marin Airport and five minutes from San Juan's new Convention Center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda, getaroom.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Caribe Hilton San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Caribe Hilton San Juan Hotel San Juan
- Hilton Hotel San Juan
- Hilton Hotel Caribe
- Hilton San Juan
- San Juan Caribe Hilton Hotel