We stayed at this property as part of a conference and extended our stay for a few days afterwards. Service was acceptable during the conference, but once the conference was over the staff was clearly changed to their second tier staff. Service deteriorated to below average and became unacceptable. Below is a list of issues with this hotel and why we would choose not to return:
1. Although the pool looks nice on pictures and in reality, the fact remains that it is freezing cold!
2. Wireless internet is only available in the lobby.
3. Internet access in your room costs $ 8 per day and is extremely slow..not business friendly.
4. Business center is rarely staffed.
5. Although there is a beach it is small. Thank heavens the ocean is warmer than the pool!
6. Breakfast buffet at Palmeras is extremely slow, as the hostesses seem to be working at a snails pace. On weekends there can be dozens of empty, set tables, yet there is a 20 minute wait for you to be seated! Food is good, especially the made to order omelettes.What you are charged for breakfast seems to be based on a magic eightball, since every day I was charged something different, despite the same people going and eating the same things!
7. Household service is inconsistent: one day they replace your in room coffee, the next day they replace your shampoos, but no day is ever the same consistent service.
8. There is a Starbucks, be prepared to wait as this one must be in the guiness book of records for world's slowest Starbucks!
9. The concierge is quiet arrogant and does not offer many alternatives beyond the rather pricey menu of bus tours they have on their list.
10. Security? Is there any? The open plan of the lobby allows anyone to wander onto the property at any time, so if you have kids, keep an eye on them at all times!
11. The property is located in an isolated area and there are no stores within walking distance. You'd have to take a taxi everywhere, including old San Juan.
12. There is a small airport nearby and small charter planes start taking off right over the hotel beginning at 6am!
Thank heavens for tropical drinks...the Atlantico Pool bar has an offer whereby you buy a shaker with whatever tropical drink you want for around $22 the first time. You keep the shaker and bring it back to the bar for refills that are $16 and fill about four 16 ounce glasses. They may count on patrons having a couple of these to help them forget about the poor service at this property.
And last but not least, they do claim to have invented the first Pina Colada which has caused a feud with a restaurant called Barrachina, in old San Juan. Apparently the same bartender, don Ramon Portas Mingot, worked at both places back in 1963. Having done a tast test of both in the same evening, we concluded that both recipes have since diverged significantly and personally we preferred the version at Barrachina.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
April 11, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry that you left the Caribe Hilton feeling this way. We apologize for each of this experiences that you shared with us. We will address to the different areas for our Management to help us maintain our levels of Service at all times among our staff. When we fail to meet the expectations of one of our guests, it causes great concern. We hope that you give us another opportunity to welcome you to the Caribe Hilton!
Report response as inappropriate
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.