“Best vacation ever!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Rates From $99
Ranked #16 of 47 hotels in San Juan
“Best vacation ever!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

I read some of the poor reviews and was a little nervous what to expect, but WOW was I the most pleasantly surprised ever!!! We were given this trip as a second honeymoon and this was the best vacation my husband and I of fourteen years have ever had!!! The resort was the most beautiful, clean, friendliest place I have ever been! We stayed in the HH Tower upon request with much help from Frances Archilla who also reserved our cabana for a day which was every bit worth it! I have never had someone so concerned and work so hard to ensure I was happy before! She even came and visited us personally our first day there at our cabana to make sure we had everything we wanted. ALL of the staff there was extremely nice easy to talk to and eager to please. Many went out of their way for me and my husband I think simply because we were nice to them and treated them as fellow people, not servants. They were all very knowleagable and helpful with where to go with restaurants, tourism, etc. Our room was the nicest we have ever had with an incredible view of the lagoon as well as Atlantic. If you want a view of the Caribe Hilton's private beach and sunset, then stay in the Main Building. We were looking for a more private, higher view and were not disappointed! We had the most romantic, relaxing, wonderful time and hope we can return again sometime soon!!!

Room Tip: If you want a view of the Caribe Hilton's private beach and sunset, then stay in the Main Buildi...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, October 30, 2011
It's great to hear that we make your special celebration even more special!!! Kudos to Frances Archilla, great example of customer service at it's finest!

3,581 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (787)
  • Polish first
Norwell, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

We recently re-visited the Caribe Hilton for our15th time over 8 years. Although some major renavations are in progress the service and ameneties her at Caribe remain the best. The folks at the Pool Bar and the Oasis Bar are on top of thier game. Nelson the assistant Manager patrols the hotel and is always ready to fix your every need.
The hotels restaurants are wonderful, we especially love IL Giardino an Italian restaurant right in main lobby area, where Franco performs magically with table side ceasar salad.We say the Caribe is the best of the best!!!

Room Tip: we like the main building with Ocean view balconies
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
We really appreciate the support over the years! Hope to see you again soon!
Novato, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I really loved this place. Upon our initial arrival I was told they did not have a room with a King Bed available and were placing me in a room with 2 doubles. I wasn't very happy with that as I am tall and find double beds to be on the short side. But if none was available I would see how it went. She did offer us a complimentary breakfast in Las Palmeras. Next I was told I was in the main building. I told the young lady I had read some reviews and if at all possible I really wanted to be in the tower building. She spent some time in the computer and I ended up in room 1264 with the most fantastic view I could have asked for. Luz was great.

We loved the grounds, the hammocks, and the beach and pool areas. I never had a problem getting a chair.

I really enjoyed getting the bread from the towel area and feeding the fish at the end of the pier. It was pretty cool. At night they had a spotlight shining there and we saw small sharks.

I agree with everyone that says their restaurants are overpriced for dinner. Lunches were ok and the Starbucks was decent. I did make a trip up the street to the Subway for dinner one evening which I then took back to my room and ate on the balcony with the fantastic view.

I would stay again

Room Tip: Definately try to get in the tower. We had room 1264 which has a fabulous view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking from your time to share your experience with us. We appreciate the support!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

Reading the poor reviews of the Caribe Hilton prompted me to respond. As someone who loves PR and the Caribe, I would not stay anywhere else in San Juan. The location is perfect, between the Condado strip and Old San Juan, has a wonderful history, (read up on the hotel before going and look at the pictures in the reception of the executive offices), the only hotel in SJ with a private beach, the best open air lobby, a fabulous staff and a welcoming vibe. I get out of the taxi and immediately decompress. The hotel has a very successful business, social and conference business, and can be busy,but that is part of the charm. I always meet some of the most interesting guests. If you are looking for a secluded all inclusive type of resort, this is not the place for you. I will agree some sections of the hotel are more pleasant than others. Request a room in the newly renovated main building or the tower. I have stayed in the villas, but feel it is more appropriate for families, and there is a smaller pool and beach access from the villas, so you do not have to go through the main lobby. Are there more inexpensive options, yes, but without the charm. Even the Intercontinental and Ritz Carlton, which will run more, are so far removed from the "action"
that the taxi fares do pile up. At Caribe, you can take a great 15 minute walk along the Atlantic to Old San Juan, spend a morning exploring, have lunch and be back in time to enjoy an afternoon at the great pool and beach. The Atlantico pool bar is the best. If you can't have a positive "attitude adjustment" there, it's not because of the environment or terrific long-term staff, who will welcome returning guests by name. I am returning in early January and cannot wait!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
We really appreciate your support! Great motivation for our team members to continue delivering great customer service! We work very hard to make all our guest feel welcome and it's worth it! Thank you again see you in January!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I loved everything about this hotel. The staff were really helpful and courteous, the rooms were nice and clean, everything worked, room service was excellent, there were a great choice of bars and restaurants... The best thing was location, right on the beach, I had a room on the 19th floor overlooking the sea and it was amazing! Even though I was on business, I felt like I was on holiday :)

Room Tip: get one sea facing and higher up if possible as if lower the trees or other buildings obsure the vie...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking some of your time to validate that we do deliver great customer service! We really appreciated! This is what we love to hear!! See you on January! Thank you again!
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

My experience with Caribe Hilton was far less than enjoyable. It started at check-in with my hostess Stephanny. She told me we would be staying in the Villas, room7424. She said it was just the next building over and pointed down a hallway. My wife and had booked this trip for four days and only had one suitcase and our computer bags so we we're going to take them ourselves. After getting lost trying to get to our room, one very attentive bell hop noticed we were lost and offered his assistance. He took our bags and escorted us to us our room which was about a city block away from the main hotel. The facility was very old and far away from everything in the main hotel.
After getting our luggage to our room, I went to move my car to the parking garage. Another long walk, and after getting to my car, that was parked in the check-in area, a bell-hop was going through my car; I had left the back door open. He said he was looking for something with our name on it to call us. I was not gone any longer than it took to go to the room and back. Very uncomfortable.
That night we attempted to get on the internet using their wi-fi in the lobby of the villas; they do not have free wi-fi in the rooms here. We were unsuccessful and after asking the front desk attendant for assistance, he suggested we go to the lobby in the main hotel. We did this, toting our laptops for another city block trip there and back. Here we were able to connect to the internet.
Stephanny had told us we would have a balcony with a view of the ocean. We had a view of the corner of the ocean overlooking a building crane and construction site. Later that night, I tried closing the curtains to the room, but the curtain was torn at the top and it would not shut completely so I had to get a coat hanger with the 2 clips from the closet, and clip the curtains together to keep the light out.
We had paid $16.50 a day for parking. Stephanny had given me a card that was stamped self-parking on it and said that it would cover as many in's and out's as I wanted to make in a day. When I tried leaving for the first time I had to get an attendant to let me out after showing him my card. What I found out was that when taking a card from the lot on entry, you are suppose to get it validated before leaving. There was no common courtesy of explaining this to me at check-in.
After complaining the next day, they offered me another room in the tower, next to the main hotel, and closer to the beach area and restaurants. They said it would be available by 5 P.M.. When we returned at the end of the day, they did have our room available and my wife packed up our personal belongings and we moved.
While this hotel has some nice amenities, be careful about reading the reviews they have posted on their site. NOT ALL THEIR ROOMS ARE EQUAL! This was a very bad start to what was suppose to a nice 4 day getaway for my wife and I. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone as there are others just as nice, and much less expensive, in the area. If you do stay here, ensure were your room will be in advance, huge difference in accommodations.

James Bowlin

Room Tip: Avoid the Canado Villas
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
LGMarcano, Manager at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, October 27, 2011
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay in our property. We find it important to clarify some of the issues you described in your review. The room type you reserved thru a third party was not for an ocean view, your discounted rate was for a standard room accommodation NOT for an ocean view. Due to our high occupancy, you were assigned as an upgrade to a room in our Villas area, which different from the standard rooms you had reserved, it had beautiful water views, the ocean and a kitchenettes. We are sorry you got lost looking for your room; we have a large amount of directional signage indicating room locations for all of our 5 buildings, please keep in mind we are a large resort. You mentioned the room was too far away, yet also mentioned you went to your room, and was back to move your car rather fast. The lobby Wi-Fi is always available free of charge, Wi-Fi is an antenna driven system and we have no control over the satellite connection, we rarely have challenges with our Wi-Fi, nevertheless, we apologize for it not been available the moment you tried to connect. The next day you were moved another room, again upgraded to an ocean view. Mr. Torres sent you and apology letter and explained to you the room situation, with an upgrade for a future stay; you felt that was not sufficient and insist on a better compensation. We received your email expressing that you would write poor comments in all social medias, and that you would not recommend our property to anyone, this, despite all our efforts to make you stay a pleasant one. It is truly sad to read your comment knowing we did what we felt appropriate to change your perception of our property, yet you felt we did nothing for you. Our hotel is a landmark in Puerto Rico, and our reputation of great service precedes us. We currently rank within the top 8 resorts in our category in Trip advisor, thanks to many happy guests that stayed with us. Thank you again for your feedback.
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

For a "luxury" hotel, I was not impressed. We had reserved 2 rooms with ocean views, and they booked us in the "villas" which seemed like an eternity's walk away from the lobby. One room was not ready when we checked in, and the room that was ready smelled funny. We requested a room change and ended up in a better room in the "Honors" tower, which was cheaper, but still no ocean view unless you consider a bridge and construction, "ocean view" I ended up only spending 1 night in this room as I had a jetski accident, and spent the next 2 nights in the ER (a whole seperate nightmare). When we realized we needed to stay an extra night before leaving, the staff booked us in a room that was over $200 per night that was not clean, (coffee grinds all over desk), rusted fixtures in the bathroom, missing mirror on wall, and generally not what I expect from Hilton or a "honors" room. The staff was not helpful in getting a wheel chair (not available was terse response) and when i needed to fedex a package I was rushed through process (package was packaged correctly and arrived a day late) yet was prompted to be sure to mention the "good service" yeah right!

The pool, man-made beach area was nice and bar staff (pool bar) were fun and made great drinks. The breakfast buffet was poor and expensive. Morton's steakhouse rushed our final meal because we were late, and it seemed apparent to them that because i was not "dressed" (due to my accident and medical condition) that I had no $$ and they could not be bothered. Nothing could have been further from truth.

Overall for the short period of time I was there, I was not impressed and would not recommend to anyone to stay. If you want a high-end hotel with good service, quality rooms and quality food, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Request the towers if you want to stay close to action and not walk a mile to your room!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
We're deeply sorry that you had a negative experience during your stay with us, this is not the norm. The lack of customer service that you experienced is unacceptable, truly unacceptable. We do appreciate that you took time to share this feedback, this will help us improve our customer service.

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!