“Customer Service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Elmwood, Illinois
“Customer Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Front Desk customer service representative "Julio" was simply fantastic. Professional, personable and very outgoing. Even though we were in town only for one night (arriving late and checking out early) on business...Julio went well above and beyond and ensured we had all the information needed to enjoy our short stay. Julio also explained all of the amenities of the hotel in detail and provided his "expert advice" on how to take full advantage and maximize our experience. He was definitely the right person for the job and we thoroughly enjoyed our short stay experience...thanks to Julio.

Room Tip: It is a LONG trek to the Villas II and can be confusing trying to find your room!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Great!!! We are so proud of Julio!!! This is the way to go! This is a great motivation not only for Julio but for all our staff! Thank you for sharing this with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (850)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011 via mobile

We stayed at Caribe Hilton for six nights as part of a convention. We had a choice of staying at the Sheraton Convention center or the Hilton. I was leery of staying at the Caribe Hilton because I read so many bad reviews. But, after much research decided to stay near the beach. My family and I were so happy we chose the Hilton. It is a beautiful hotel and the staff was so friendly. We called and faxed the hotel ahead of time to let them know that besides coming for a convention we were also celebrating 50th birthdays and a 25th anniversary. We were upgraded to the Hilton Honors Towers on the 12th floor facing the private beach. The view was beautiful!! The rooms were spacious and clean. The bathrooms were huge! We arrived at 1:15 AM because of a delayed flight. We were greeted by the most pleasant front desk assistants. Even at that extremely late hour everyone was so kind. I was afraid we would get rooms that were not very nice because we were so late but our rooms were beautiful! We were sent a bottle of Champagne from someone back home and the hotel gave us a complimentary bottle as well. Everyone that works at the Caribe Hilton is friendly and helpful! Try the Bingo at 2PM it is free and we won twice. Don't forget the free Piña Colada tasting at 1PM. Take time to eat at Atlantico Pool Grill. Choose a table right near the water. You'll think you are in a Corona commercial. Starbucks was awesome for a quick snack. Hammocks were so relaxing. There was always an empty lounge chair near the pool or beach. It never seemed too crowded even with a big convention staying there. Would definitely recommend this hotel if you are trying to decide between this and any other hotel in San Juan. Thank you Caribe Hilton for making our trip such a special and enjoyable experience.

• Stayed September 2011
Thank you for the chance to prove our service! It's great to hear that despite the bad reviews you chose our hotel and we make it right! Thank you for the feedback we appreciated!
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

As a frequent visitor to San Juan, I had mixed feelings when my national convention was scheduled at this hotel. Mixed reviews and my own personal visit earlier had shown me there could be a lack of service and adequate lodging. After 8 nights there, I feel a little better about this property.

Checking in was non-eventful although the upgrade I'd been promised was not available. Being from Florida, I was not surprised at the large dead roach just inside our door when we arrived - I was just glad he was dead - but it was representative of the less than perfect housekeeping. Although we tipped daily, all we could expect was the bed being made, the towels replaced, and a replacement (most of the time) of coffee for the coffeemaker. The bed was very comfortable and the internet service ($49.95 for 7 days) was excellent. It is free in the lobby and people sit at Starbucks for hours on their computers. Our room in the Hilton Honors tower was nicer than the ones in the older building, which smelled like mildew to me.

Interaction with the staff was okay. Some were great and some were just civil. The Pina Colada Club on property is owned by a successful restaurant group in San Juan and the food and service were very good. Beer everywhere is $6 or $7 for local beer and $10 for tropical types. Buffet breakfast at Palmeris Restaurant in the lobby was very good for $15 continental and $22 including hot items. Starbucks coffee and pastries could add up very quickly so this was a better deal.

There is a Subway down the block but I didn't care for it. I preferred to walk to El Hamburger or KFC half a mile to the right, or left over the bridge to the Condado (ritzy area) for more choices. We walked to the Casino at the Conrad hotel just over the bridge (half a mile) several times at night and never felt threatened.

The setting is very nice and there is a nice beach protected from waves but you need to wear water shoes. There are rocks and sealife and a man stepped on a sea urchin, getting several spines through his foot, and was taken away by ambulance. I did not see any recommendations to protect your feet.

You can take a taxi to Old San Juan for about $12 or walk the two miles, which we chose to do. We passed several large iquanas and lizards along the way, which was entertaining.

As a frequent visitor to the island, I usually stay with relatives but love to stay at the La Concha Renaissance when I do stay in a hotel. This will be a backup when the price is right, which for me would be in the $100-125 range. The resort fee and tax will tack on another 20 percent or so.

Definitely better than expected but I'm not sure I would recommend it to a first time visitor due to its location.

Room Tip: Main building has better views but has an old feel (and smell) to it. Ask for tower room with view...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing this review with us. We love to have our guest's feeback this way we can always improve our service. We appreciate a second chance to prove the quality of service that we deliver.
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Before I get to my specific issues, let me reiterate what other guests have said. It's a lovely property, with wonderful pools, beautiful grounds and a nice beach.

That said it provides an uneven guest experience which will account for the mixed reviews on here.

My 9-year-old son and I stayed here for one night ahead of a cruise. The hotel served its purpose. It was luxurious, casual and had nice pools and a beach. If staying one night ahead of a cruise is your only criteria, might I recommend the Sheraton in old San Juan which is directly across from the pier where Carnival ships depart from.

That said, it was an expensive property. Not sure I would ever book this hotel as a destination for more than one or two nights. And as a convention hotel, I'd love it. But as other reviewers have pointed out, it is not within walking distance of much and meals here are quite expensive (which begs the question, if you can't afford the meals, should you even be considering this hotel in the first place?)

Service here seemed to be an afterthought. I'm a Hilton Gold member. When we checked in, there was a long line for the special "Hilton HHonors" checkin. Turns out that by waiting on the regular checkin line we got faster service than by waiting in the "HHonors" line. So a note to people who don't sign up for loyalty programs, in this case you actually got preferential treatment than the people who do sign up for the benefits!

And now the part that was guest-specific. Our reservation someone got messed up (errors happen.) We booked a room with two queen beds. After we took all of our bags up to the 20th floor to our room, we discovered there was only 1 king bed. When I called downstairs they said there was nothing they could do because they were full. But when I went down to the front desk, they were able to accomodate us on the fifth floor, with 2 queens. Just puzzled as to how a reservation booked and confirmed 4 months in advance could find us potentially with 1 king instead of 2 queens. Bottom line is it was ironed out, but then had to go back and wait on line for checkin, and once again, the regular checkin was faster than the gold Hilton Hhonors!

Another issue was breakfast. Yes, we had a "continental breakfast" included in our rate. But if you want anything more substantial than their skimpy offerings, there's a six dollar surcharge. Again, there are no bargains at this hotel.

We also were berated by the towel people who oversee the kids' playroom for spending more than the alloted amount of time on the video games. Problem was that we went in, played for 20 minutes and then left to go to the local Subway and returned an hour later. A member of the staff saw us there and thought we'd been playing non-stop. It was all chalked up to a misunderstanding, but clearly we were guilty before proving our innocence with a Subway sandwich and a receipt with a time on it!

Another objection during my stay, and again, guest-specific and subject to my tastes, maybe not yours, was the loud blaring DJ music at the pool. Some guests might consider it a nice touch to have a live DJ playing music during the afternoon, but I thought it was intrusive and loud, especially right by the quiet hammock area. Again, it's all subjective, but I'd prefer peace and quiet in a relaxing environment.

This hotel could be a fantastic property. The grounds are lovely, the setting is wonderful and for the most part it's a well-maintained property. But pay attention to the other reviews. Food is pricey, it's an expensive cab ride ($15 for what would be a $6 ride here in NYC to and from Old San Juan) and there's not much beyond the property other than a convenience store, a subway and a wine/beer store. I'm confident my review will be getting a response from hotel management and I can't wait to see what they say. I might add I'm a low maintenance guest. I tend to suffer in silence and then vote with my dollars.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

One of the nicest all around hotels in the Hilton family. If you visit San Juan, a must to stay here. Did you know the Pna Colada was borned here over 50 years ago? See Victor at the bar and ask him.
You can find Mr Torres roaming the facility and engaging guests all day long, so you can pay a compliment or discuss any issues you may have.
Personally, the Puerto Rico culture is reflected everywhere in this hotel.
It is wonderful

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, but if you want a quiet spot, ask for a Villa Lagoon room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to share your experience with us. We appreciate the support! Mr. Torres does a great job getting in touch with our guests this is the most important issue. Thank you again for the feedback.
Dubuque, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

I usually don't leave reviews, I do, however, like to read a lot of them before I go somewhere....you could say I like to "do my homework". I was a little skeptical after reading some recent reviews before our trip to the Caribe Hilton. We were there Sept. 9-Sept 15th, We had a WONDERFUL experience here. Staff was very helpful and friendly. All staff we dealt with spoke fluent English and Spanish....never felt like there was a problem there...I know very little spanish and was nervous about that. Even on our tours and shopping in town, taxi's, waiters, you name it-everyone at our hotel and in Old San Juan were so friendly and helpful. Beach is great, as is the 3 level pool at this hotel...plenty of space to make your own with a lounger. Hammocks were WONDERFUL. so relaxing. Jose the security guard was wonderful also. very friendly! Plenty of towels available for the beach/pool. there was a nice area for kids=playground area. we didn't bring kids, but it would have been a kid friendly place, as I saw they had activities for the kids there also. Room service was very helpful for all of our silly questions we had. never once felt unsafe at this hotel. very warm atmosphere there! There was a Subway across the street ($5 footlongs!) and a small convience store also. Food is a bit expensive otherwise. There is a starbucks in the hotel that we used a lot for food-they have warm sandwiches for about $5.85 each. and they were delicious! Breakfast buffet was wonderful-I think we paid $13 for that....it was very good. taxis were always available to take into Old San Juan-$12 for a ride into town. we had 4 people with us, so it wasn't too bad of a deal. otherwise there is a bus stop down the street to take a bus for 75 cents. We shopped a LOT! and were worried about our bags being overweight for our trip back, and the bellboy took our bags to the back and weighed them for us. all in all, we really appreciated everything this hotel had to offer. I would definately recommend this place! There was fruit infused water available in the lobby every morning also-it was SO refreshing! We looked forward to it while we waited for our bus to pick us up for our tours. I will try to attach some pictures.....

Room Tip: we stayed in the Garden wing-rooms were newly renovated. Safe in room-very easy to use. lots of ro...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011 via mobile

We stayed here two nights as part of our honeymoon. Upon arrival we were upgraded to the Hilton Honours tower which was a nice gesture. The rooms are spacious and clean. The hotel has a good pool area but the beach was disappointing as is the overal location of the Hotel. staff is friendly and the in hotel Starbucks offers a good alternative for breakfast or a quick snack. The also in house Morton's steakhouse is another good alternative but the hotel also offers several good restaurants. Overall fine hotel probably better suited for business then Leasure. Try a piña colada it is said the drinks was invented there.

• Stayed April 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience. The piña colada was invented here!

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!