“Fantastic accommodation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Stockholm, Sweden
“Fantastic accommodation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

Stayed here for a long weekend to attend a conference. This hotel offers the most comfortable beds you can think of and polite and helpful staff. The breakfast restaurant lets you enjoy your morning coffee with a perfect view over the Caribbean sea. But the best of it all is the location right on a sandy beach cove. Would not reccommend for families with children though, as there is not much for them to do.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, September 10, 2011
Thank you for your review. It's great thing to hear that you enjoyed our property. We do have a complete range of activities for the whole family, including a state of the art game room with Xbox, Kinect and much more. Thank you again for the feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Polish first
Worcester, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

I stayed here for a few nights while working in San Juan. The room was above average with an ocean view and balcony. I was a big fan of the oversize shower which had a very large ledge for storing your soap, shampoo and shower beer; not having space in the shower is a pet peeve of mine.
The real appeal to this hotel is the property. The pool is large and has a swim-up bar. There is a private beach that is sheltered so the water is very calm. You won't have to worry about finding a chair, there are too many to count. I was fond of the shady area with half a dozen hammocks hanging amongst the palm trees. Across the cove was a shack offering scuba and snorkel trips. My one disappointment was an old fort adjacent to the property which seemed ripe for touring, however the security gate was always locked.
Being a vacationing hotel everything was expensive; food, drinks, parking, everything. I think my continental breakfast of fruit and a bagel was $16 (although free if you are a diamond HHonors.) I avoided buying food and drink at the hotel. There are two convenience stores across the street where you can buy cheaper beer and wine ($10 per 6-pack). And I opted most days for breakfast at the Subway on the corner, they open early.
Overall, I really liked the hotel but only because it was on the company dime, For a vacation I would probably opt for something a little cheaper. If you don't mind paying a little extra this hotel is great.

fyi - if you get a chance eat at the cafeteria san felipe: fantastic food, big portions, low price. My favorite place to eat, but not in a great neighborhood. The farmstand across the street also has the best avocados.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We really appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with us. San Geronimo fort is closed because is under going some restoration. Thank you again for the feedback.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

This is a decent enough hotel -- not thrilled with it but bumped up from 3 to 4 stars because the staff is really friendly. Positives -- nice views, lots of food choices, negatives -- inconvenient location (looks like it's near Old San Juan, but not a pleasant walk there and taxis are overpriced). I was here for business and it felt odd as most folks were there for a resort environment. Rooms are spacious if somewhat worn on the edges. My shower didn't have hot water but I didn't have time to deal with it.

Room Tip: Garden wing is not bad, higher floor the better.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
We love to hear that you truly enjoyed our hotel. This is our biggest motivation. Thank you for your feedback.
Albany, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Overall Impression: Fantastic hotel is you want luxury right in the heart of San Juan. Hotel is large, but we stayed in the Lagoon Villas, so it felt very quaint and secluded.

With my Hilton Honors Diamond status, we received certificates for continental breakfast each day. It was also good for use at the hotel Starbucks.

PROs:
-Relatively close proximity to Old San Juan
-Private beach
-Villas and ocean view
-Grounds/Gardens

CONs:
- Food is a little pricey
-Hotel size
-Crowded parking garage

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciated. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our property. Thank you again for the feedback.
Hackettstown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Excellant place to stay. Stayed there in Jan 2011 for a company sales function. went back to stay in August 2011 for business. would stay there again with no hestitation. easy cab ride from the airport (about $20.00)
{---}

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Gainesville GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

1. September 03, 2011 Front Desk during check in was NOT detailed in the amenities included with our stay and where to find those amenities during our stay. She was even given a $5.00 tip to spark her motivation but that proved to be useless.
2. September 04, 2011 Went to what was supposed to be a full breakfast buffet which was not the actual buffet but a continental breakfast. The host (male) standing at the podium looked at us, turned away and started looking at the ceiling and gazing around the room. Not sure what his issue was. We only heard from him when it was time to collect money. Asked for two eggs over easy was not NO! Not here. Here you only get this and pointed to watery scrambled eggs. So we left but on our way out we were presented with a bill. We informed the host that breakfast was included. He said no that is for the other restaurant. I explained to him that if he was paying attention and greeted us like he was supposed to instead of picking his nose and scratching himself, we would have been in the right place. I do not work there so why should I pay a room rate and walk around and say good morning to each and every staff. I definitely did not pay to serve the staff! I went to the other restaurant and informed Gabriella Ponce the manager and she appeased the situation by inviting us for lunch. We ate at Atlantico Restaurant. The Mahi Mahi salad was good but the french fries were disgusting. Service from Yuri was good. Wanted to rent a car from Hertz in the hotel but the lady at the counter was more interested in eating and talking on the phone rather than wanting to rent a car. So I called Enterprise at the Conrad Hotel and they took care of it right away. Will NEVER rent from Hertz again until I die. Even if they give a free car I will never use them. September 04, 2011, Jose the manager on duty gave us two coupons for free drinks. He told us that we can redeem them for two drinks, complimentary of Rums of Puerto Rico. Very nice of Jose. Coupon numbers: 248683 and 248682. September 05, 2011 we went to the bar in the lobby and ordered an Oasis Breeze which was recommended by Jose the bartender. Drinks were made and bill was presented. I presented the coupon and he started making a big deal of the situation in front of all the other guests. He said that the coupon is not valid for special drinks and can only be used for "other rum" and not the good rum. So jose gave us a "slap" in the face by offering us third class quality liquor as a gesture to appease and set a positive tone towards a very negative Check in and overly horrid morning on the second day. Jose called the Bar Manager Joel Joel immediately said very loudly that those tickets are not for special drinks. They are only for Pina Coladas and those type of drinks. So with that we told Joel that he can keep his drink and we left the bar. We called for the manager on duty and Heydsha who was a supervisor came by. She wanted us to move to her office to talk but we were already comfortable in the lobby sofa. We told her of the situation and gave the coupons back. She offered to give us the drink, however, we REFUSED! We do not any freebees from the hotel. We are not poor and we will not be insulted by Hilton in the manner we have been the last few days. HILTON, you can keep your drinks and coupons and use them on yourself or other guests. What you have done is highly insulting. September 05, 2011, I called down to Valet like I was told the night before if I wanted my car. 20 min later I showed up at the lobby and the valet guy was sitting there cleaning his nails. Mark was having a casual conversation and talking to another employee. I saw not cars being pulled in or out and bellmen were all standing around the desk by the parrots. I asked for my car and he showed me the key and said, is this it? I said yes but why is the car not here???? " Well we are very busy Sir and there are other cars in front of you. Mark stepped in and said "it is very busy today." So this leads me to believe that cleaning ones nails and talking to employees is considered busy. No worries, I noted it down. As I did, Mark saw me write it down and he started to act sweet and say it will be here in a few minutes and so on acting like nothing was wrong. The car took forever to arrive. Later that day, I arrived back and dropped the car of to valet and it took a short while for someone to come to the car. They gave me a ticket and took no info down and left with the car without any words. This morning when I had breakfast, I asked Euclid to cook my eggs with butter only and no oil. He gave the most dirtiest face and starting demanding at the top of his lungs for me to go and get him some butter from the buffet table next to the honey and fruits. Finally his partner, whom I think was also Jose, calmed him down and basically told him to shut up. His partner got the butter and cooked my eggs for me. The freshly squeezed orange juice machine was not working and broken. There were several other guests complaining on Euclids behavior towards them and so that made the "made to order" line very long. I had a good experience with Leo in the Il Gardinia Restaurant. Employees to recognize on a positive note: Michelle in Room Service, Gabriella Ponce, Leo, Jose in the breakfast buffet, Jose in security, Jimenez the police officer. After housekeeping cleaned our room on September 05, 2011, the room was still filthy. My wife got her hair done at the spa. The receptionist at the Spa is very moody and rude but the lady that worked on my wife's hair was excellent.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing with us your experience, we are deeply sorry for the inconviniences that you experience with us. I can assure you that by giving you some compensantion we didn't mean to insult you. Thank you again for your feedback.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011 via mobile

I like this hotel because the location is great. Very close to the old san juan.

• Stayed May 2011
Thank you for your review, we really appreciate the feedback.

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!