“What a Wonderful Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rates From $99
Ranked #15 of 46 hotels in San Juan
Mechanicsburg, PA
“What a Wonderful Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

My family and I stayed at the Caribe Hilton for a Saturday night before we left for a cruise. The hotel was about 15-20 minutes away from the airport. It seemed like the hotel was located off the beaten path, with only a Subway sandwich shop and liquor store nearby. I was amazed when I walked into the hotel. The open-air lobby was beautiful and a fresh breeze was blowing through it. There were plenty of comfortable couches and chairs to sit on. We arrived around 12 PM and our room was not ready. That's completely understable because it was early in the day. The front desk staff gave us a card with a confirmation number and phone number on it and said that later in the day we could call it to see when our room would be ready. They also gave us an access code so we could get free WiFi in the lobby, which was extremely useful and nice. We left our luggage with a bellboy. Do not leave anything valuable in the luggage you leave with them because I don't know how a couple of bellboys could keep their eyes on every single piece of luggage. We were a little scared about leaving it there.
First, we took a walk around the property. It is a large hotel with a lot of ground around it. We walked down a nice path and had a breath-taking view of the ocean and rocks. Lizards and even an iguana walked across the path. There is a nice area with hammocks, although I never got to use it because it was too crowded. The Caribe Hilton also has a beautiful garden section. It was so pretty. There were flowers blooming, ducks swimming in the pond, and benches for you sit on and enjoy the surroundings. I even came across a peacock walking around. The gardens were one of my favorite parts of the hotel.
Then, we had lunch at one of the pool bars. They had hot dogs, chicken, burgers, fries, and other finger foods. The waitresses were very friendly and provided us with good service. The food was also good.
Later, we checked to see if our room was ready. It was not, so we decided to go to the beach. We were allowed to use the changing rooms and restrooms. Both were very clean and attendants were on standby to pick up anything that was dropped on the floor.
The beach is a small closed in area, what I would call a man made beach. This is because the ocean surrounding the hotel is too rough and rocky, not appropriate for swimming. It was crowded, therefore I only was able to find one lounge chair. Towels were provided by the hotel. The water was warm, but somewhat rocky. The beach area was nice, but I would not want to have to come to this man made beach for a week.
The swimming pools were lovely. There are several pools with waterfalls and swim up bars. Pools even lead into each other. There was a hot tub, but it was dirty and gross, so needless to say, I did not get in it. Chairs and lounge beds are plentiful around the pool area, too.
After 4 PM, we determined that our room was ready. Our room was located in the Hilton Honors Towers on floor 8. The room had two double beds, a desk, balcony with an amazing view, and a huge bathroom. The room was clean and kind of small. The balcony was great! It had a table and chairs and had an exceptional view of the ocean and palm trees. A deserted hotel, the Normandie, sits across the street. The bathroom was very large. It had two sinks and a shower so large that it had a seat in it! The shower did not have very good water pressure, though.
For dinner, there are various choices. From expensive steakhouses to Italian restaurants, you definitely have options. My family and I ate at the Italian restaurant. Service was slow, but the food was good. The pizza was tasty and you got a lot of it for your money.
Later that night, music was playing at the bar and people were dancing. It's a happening place at night. Way across the street, there was a stage with a band and LOUD music. No lie, the band played until at least 2 AM in the morning. Therefore, don't expect good sleeping quality. Beds and pillows were just ok.
For breakfast, there is an expensive buffet or a Starbucks. We decided to eat at Starbucks. It was really crowded and we waited in a long line. We used the TV check out, since lines at the front desk were long. We had no problem getting a taxi, there are plenty that come and go from the hotel. And as an FYI the cruise ship port is about 10-15 minutes away from the property.
I truly enjoyed my stay here at the Caribe Hilton. I would definitely return. Everything was fantastic. Love this place!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
Thank you for your great review of our property! We really appreciate the detailed feedback so our next customer have some good information! Thank you again for the feedback.

3,550 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Sometimes it all comes together - when a visit becomes an adventure, when you get more than you bargained for. Our family survived the Hurricane Irene out in the Rio Mar Wyndham Hotel and found that stay at that hotel so very disappointing on many levels. We thought we were headed home from there when we were told our return flight was moved forward one week due to the hurricane. We then decided stay at the Caribe Hilton, disheartened and homesick. To our great surprise and pleasure we found that this was the vacation we wished we had. The hotel staff were extremely gracious and helpful to us, the people there seemed to like their job. The lobby and architecture is an open floor design with glass walls showing the beautiful view of the Caribbean Sea, great lounge areas with iced fruit-infused water stations and wifi. The room was well planned and very clean with granite countertops and marble baths. Beautiful pool and poolside conveniences through out, pristine private beach and the fitness center was the best I've used. They also have a nature walk with foliage identified, peacocks and water fowl plus one can feed the tropical feed off their private pier. The hotel had an understated elegance without the high concept cheesiness you see in some hotel design. (I'm a graphic designer.) Overall, our girls had a great time, we enjoyed ourselves, and we finally found a place in all our travels even before we had kids, that we can honestly say, "Let go back there again." Great value, great place!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking your time to share your experience with us. We area glad we were able to turn such a scary situation into great memories! Thank you for the feedback.
Crofton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

I am a person who makes decisions from reviews on just about everything. So I was a little hesitant after reading some of the reviews on this site regarding the Caribe Hilton about a month or so ago. When I arrived......I was pleasantly surprised :-)

Room Tip: Had room on 1st floor which was like the ground floor of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Menen, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

I can't help, but it's still on my mind.
We had a wonderfull time in san Juan ..........
We returned from a walk in san juan and our handluage was desepeared from our room. The roommaid took it to the security ( we did'nt check out!)We hoped everything was O.K. when we opened our handbag all the money, family photo's and some papers were gone. The police made an PV and we still wait for some answers ! We almost missed our cruise without money !

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, September 3, 2011
Thank you for sharing your concern with us. This is a truly valid concern and belive me it's been investigated as we speak. We appreciate you sharing this with us. Thank you again for your feedback.
Bronx, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Upon arrival, the girl at the desk was rude. Thye also want to hold 75 dollars per day on your credit card until check-out. I told her I didn't want her to hold any of my money and I will place cash for incidentals she got upset and told me she needed to speak to a manager first..eventually they agreed. They placed myself and my party in these rooms that left dingy motels rooms in NYC look like five star hotels. They were dingy and smelly. My first room had ants and hair on the table. I asked to be moved and they did. The second room for my husband and I was somewhat o.k. The room assigned to my mother in law was not..a codom was in front of her door and the bathroom was dirty with pubic hair still on the seats. I called the front desk and complained only to receive much attituted from the night manager. He tried to offend me by giving me a 50 dollar voucher for snacks and meals. The following night we ate at one of the restaurants only to recieve poor service once again. It took one hour for someone to take our orders and finally got our food after arguing with people. After speaking to the manager, that didn't care..never made an effort to resolve our problems..fired the only waiter that was trying to help us get our food..and he did this in front of us after several times telling him that this particular waiter was trying to help us and the initial waiter only came to us once. We were there during Hurricane Irene and the hotel made no provisions for the people or guest who at the time were not allowed to leave the hotel as per the government of Puerto Rico. They still charged us full price for food and drinks..I was going to have my wedding there..guess what thats not going to happen..Never again..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Thank you for the review of your experience. It is a policy of our property to hold $75 per night for incidentals charges on top of the room + taxes! The lack of clealiness that you experience is unacceptable. We're sorry that you felt that we didn't try to help you enough, we always try to accomodate our guest. Thank you for the feedback.
Philly
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I've had problems in the past but the location is convenient for the business travel that I do. This time- the room I was assigned smelled terribly when I entered. (I'll spare you the details). I was willingly assigned a differnt room. Called room service but no answer after extended ring time. Called Operator and also no answer. Went to the front desk and was told they must be taking other orders and I could try later.... which I did.

I've had so many annoying problems at this hotel. I need to just stop going there!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate the support over the time. We are deeply sorry that you left our property feeling that way, this is unacceptable. This information is taken very seriously I can assure you. Thank you again for the feedback.
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

because of the area it has high humidity but after checking other locations, it is the best in the area. The only down side was it was a $15 taxi ride to anyware. when I go back, I will rent a car. about 5 miles away is old San Juan to the west. to the east there are many hotels and any kind of resturants you can think of. in that area it reminds me of when I was in hawaii in the late 60s. (nice beaches). I liked the Hilton because I could Snokel right out of the hotel. However better snorkling are about 1 hr east.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! We really love to hear that you had a great time with us. We work very hard every day to ensure all our customers have a great time. Thank you for the time.

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!