“Pleasantly Surprised :-)” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Crofton, Maryland
“Pleasantly Surprised :-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

I am a person who makes decisions from reviews on just about everything. So I was a little hesitant after reading some of the reviews on this site regarding the Caribe Hilton about a month or so ago. When I arrived......I was pleasantly surprised :-)

Room Tip: Had room on 1st floor which was like the ground floor of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (852)
  • Polish first
Menen, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

I can't help, but it's still on my mind.
We had a wonderfull time in san Juan ..........
We returned from a walk in san juan and our handluage was desepeared from our room. The roommaid took it to the security ( we did'nt check out!)We hoped everything was O.K. when we opened our handbag all the money, family photo's and some papers were gone. The police made an PV and we still wait for some answers ! We almost missed our cruise without money !

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, September 3, 2011
Thank you for sharing your concern with us. This is a truly valid concern and belive me it's been investigated as we speak. We appreciate you sharing this with us. Thank you again for your feedback.
Bronx, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Upon arrival, the girl at the desk was rude. Thye also want to hold 75 dollars per day on your credit card until check-out. I told her I didn't want her to hold any of my money and I will place cash for incidentals she got upset and told me she needed to speak to a manager first..eventually they agreed. They placed myself and my party in these rooms that left dingy motels rooms in NYC look like five star hotels. They were dingy and smelly. My first room had ants and hair on the table. I asked to be moved and they did. The second room for my husband and I was somewhat o.k. The room assigned to my mother in law was not..a codom was in front of her door and the bathroom was dirty with pubic hair still on the seats. I called the front desk and complained only to receive much attituted from the night manager. He tried to offend me by giving me a 50 dollar voucher for snacks and meals. The following night we ate at one of the restaurants only to recieve poor service once again. It took one hour for someone to take our orders and finally got our food after arguing with people. After speaking to the manager, that didn't care..never made an effort to resolve our problems..fired the only waiter that was trying to help us get our food..and he did this in front of us after several times telling him that this particular waiter was trying to help us and the initial waiter only came to us once. We were there during Hurricane Irene and the hotel made no provisions for the people or guest who at the time were not allowed to leave the hotel as per the government of Puerto Rico. They still charged us full price for food and drinks..I was going to have my wedding there..guess what thats not going to happen..Never again..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Thank you for the review of your experience. It is a policy of our property to hold $75 per night for incidentals charges on top of the room + taxes! The lack of clealiness that you experience is unacceptable. We're sorry that you felt that we didn't try to help you enough, we always try to accomodate our guest. Thank you for the feedback.
Philly
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I've had problems in the past but the location is convenient for the business travel that I do. This time- the room I was assigned smelled terribly when I entered. (I'll spare you the details). I was willingly assigned a differnt room. Called room service but no answer after extended ring time. Called Operator and also no answer. Went to the front desk and was told they must be taking other orders and I could try later.... which I did.

I've had so many annoying problems at this hotel. I need to just stop going there!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate the support over the time. We are deeply sorry that you left our property feeling that way, this is unacceptable. This information is taken very seriously I can assure you. Thank you again for the feedback.
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

because of the area it has high humidity but after checking other locations, it is the best in the area. The only down side was it was a $15 taxi ride to anyware. when I go back, I will rent a car. about 5 miles away is old San Juan to the west. to the east there are many hotels and any kind of resturants you can think of. in that area it reminds me of when I was in hawaii in the late 60s. (nice beaches). I liked the Hilton because I could Snokel right out of the hotel. However better snorkling are about 1 hr east.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! We really love to hear that you had a great time with us. We work very hard every day to ensure all our customers have a great time. Thank you for the time.
Manhattan Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

When we arrived in our room at the Caribe Hilton in San Juan we noticed a small wet spot on the carpet. We immediately called maintenance to come up and assess the situation. The engineer arrived, could not identify the cause, shrugged his shoulders, and left without further comment. In the middle of the night one of our family members got up and found that the carpet throughout our entire room was completely soaked. Our belongings which were on the floor were soaked, including some of our clothes, handbag and its contents, and suitcases. When we called the manager to advise him of the situation and ask for a refund he was quite rude and uncooperative. He said he would offer us a "generous" (his word) 50% discount on our room charge. We explained that since our sleep was disrupted and our belongings were soaked we would like a complete refund, which he quickly and rudely refused. He did not even take the time to come and view the damage to the room or our belongings. We are long-term, loyal customers of Hilton hotels and the attitude of this manager made us feel that our business was not valued and that we were very unimportant to him. There are other newer and nicer hotels in San Juan and we will definitely be staying in one of them during our next visit.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking some of your time to share your experience. We're sorry that you felt that we didn't emphatize with you situation, the flood due to the hurricane was inevitable. Thank you again for your feedback, we really appreciated.
NY,NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Booked this location through Hilton..very reasonable package: Travlled with spouse and three children (12-15). Had been to SJ last year and stayed at the Marriott Stellaris, but the special price (off-season certianly helped) led us here. Booked two conecting rooms and sent e-mail to remind them of request prior to arrival. We arrived early ( before noon) and 1 room was already waiting for us, and they had secured us the connecting room as well (something the Marriott was unable to do for our first night despite same request last year). Front Desk staff very helpful , as was bell service..Pool/Beach area are what make this hotel stand out...beautiful and user friendly. We had lunch at the pool grill as we were hungry from travelling all morning.. Ridiculously expensive ( $150 lunch (burgers/sandwiches for 5) with two adult drinks) and about what you would expect as far as quality from a pool grill. Okay, but nothing special... Our rooms were in the Tower Building, "partial" ocean view. The rooms were indeed dated and a little "beat up", but very comfortable beds, and everything worked. We did have an ac unit stop working one day, one call to the desk and it was fixed quickly.
We tried the breakfast buffet @ Palmares after reading here about it.. only 4 of us went to that..$100 for the buffet breakfast for 4..tasty, but way overpriced..and they still have the notations on the bill for filling in a tip (15%, 18%, 20%) for the "serve yourself" breakfast..sorry, no way was I giving another $20 to our "waiter" who merely brought us water and cleared plates twice in the half hour we were there..I left a tip, but not a tip they probably expected as if it were a full service restaurant..After all, we did get up and get our own food...

There is a minmart across the street where you can buy beer/soft drinks for your room (each room had a small fridge)..the snack/souvenir shop at the hotel was price gouging ($3.29 for a bottle of water) ($5.99 for a small cup of ice cream { that is $1 at home} so it was worth it to walk across the street. A beer was $7 at the pool, a 6 pack in the minmart was $10..

It is an easy/safe walk to Condado..we walked in early evening there for dinner on a couple of nights, purchased what we needed for supplies from the Walgreens ( normal pricing on most items).. the area seems well patrolled and safe.. a couple of panhandlers, but same as you find in any big city...Nice local restauarants up and down Ashford Ave...your choice from authentic local to Mexican to Pizza.
Best meal of the trip was once again in OSJ at AL Dente...delicious Italian at reasonable prices..
All in all, we would stay at the CH again if the price was right..I have seen some people on this board claim they paid $200-300 per night..no way it is worth that..but if you can get in here for less than $140 per night..it is a good bargain..
For $200-300, I would go back to the much cleaner/more modern Marriott..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, August 27, 2011
Thank you for taking some of your time to share your experience with us. We are deeply glad that you and your family enjoyed the facilities as we as the city. Thank you again for your feedback.

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!