“Cool and comfortable” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
San Francisco, California
“Cool and comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

This hotel should be rated higher. Stayed with family and was pleasantly greeted by staff as soon as the taxi door opened in the driveway. Full assistance with luggage. Small line at registration. Easy registration and booked through discount travel website.
The room was very clean and air-conditioned with luxurious bed sheets and mattress. Bathroom was large and updated. Balcony big enough to enjoy the evening breeze with a cocktail overlooking the Carribean Sea and small fort. Very cool.
The bar lobby was spectacular and the garden and pool area were lively. Parking and car rental located across the street and Old San Juan attractions are about a mile's hike away. Small beaches also in walking distance. Most restaurants are within taxi distance, maybe 5 minutes drive. No shuttle to airport but a line of taxis always available.
The only thing I saw that might be a turn off was poorly maintained hotel hallways. Looks like they haven't painted in a while. However the roof was being replaced on another hotel building so it seems it's only a matter of time before the maintenance fixes it. Besides, you'd normaly spend 10 seconds in the hallways. Who cares?
Overall, very pleased, excellent service and accomodations in a great centralized location between Condado and Old San Juan areas.

Room Tip: Request an ocean view room if possible
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
Thank you for giving us a chance to prove that we deliver great service. We really appreciate that you took the time to share your great experience with us. We hope to see you back soon! Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Polish first
San Leandro, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Where to begin. Selections of rooms (type, size, location) is unequaled in PR. This place is huge. Pool-side food is excellent. Bars everywhere, reasonable prices. Fine dining on the premises. Also, a buffet to die for. Tennis, gym, etc. All the amenities. Use the consierge service! Their dining recommendation were right on. Ten days worth. Sophies was our favorite. There is always a taxi waiting to take you to points of interest. Walk to Old San Juan (half an hour to 45minutes), you can eaily spend a day or two exploring the old town. Lots of shopping and dining selection. Or just walk across the bridge to the Condado district for dining entertainment and gambling. You will want to visit the rain forest @ El Yunque National Forest.

Room Tip: They are all great! The tower rooms have the best views. There are suites adjacent to the lagoon.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review, we are glad that you enjoyed our property as well as Old San Juan. The city is incredible and has a centuries of mystery to discover. Thank you again for your review.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We have stayed at the Caribe Hilton once before in the main part of the hotel. This stay was even better than the last. We booked our stay on priceline and won this hotel for about half price. We booked 2 rooms as there were 5 of us. I HIGHLY recommend you call the day before and the day of arrival if you need something special such as connecting rooms. I think this made a big difference for us. We ended up in the villas and at first I wasn't excited. When I saw the rooms, I was thrilled. They are large with mini fridge and counter with sink. It was really great with kids. The room was clean and very comfortable. The beach area is nice, especially if you have younger kids. The pool is not terribly clean, but it was fairly close to the end of the day and had a ton of sand in it. The grounds and lobby area are really lovely. If you need a place to stay for a couple of nights I highly recommend this hotel. The staff was very accomodating and always gracious. The ONLY off site restaurant within a decent walk is Subway. At breakfast the Subway is at least a 30 minute wait and the folks there aren't too happy about working there. Save yourself some grief and eat in the Starbucks at the hotel for a less expensive, no hassles breakfast. I don't think I would want to stay in San Juan over 2 nights as it is crowded and congested, but it is fun for just a few days. Book this one on priceline name your own price and save a bundle!

Room Tip: call the day before and day of trip to assure your room specifics
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

This hotel was wonderful. Just for reference, it is hard to find a hotel in Puerto Rico that has bathtubs they are mostly showers. The Ocean front is wonderful, everything from the outside bar, pool, hammocks, view, to swimming in the cove. The lobby is open on both sides, so you can sit downstairs and just enjoy the breeze. There is a nice salon and restaurant on either side of the hotel. I would suggest this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Book the hotel online to get the best rates!
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Kalamazoo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times for business and have never had a complaint. I always request the tower and I am never disappointed in the ocean view. It has several restaurants onsite including Mortons. Pricey but excellent food! There is also a Starbucks onsite and the staff is very friendly and recognize me so I never even have to order, they are very fast. This location has an excellent view of the ocean with a protected beach area, as well as a nice swim bar area. It is close to Old San Juan and the bridge over the lagoon is now open where you can wak to many restaurants, bars, and a couple of casinos.

Room Tip: Ask for the Tower.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
West Chester, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I stayed at this hotel at the end of June for almost 2 weeks with my husband and 12 year old son. The line for check in was extremely long when we were checking in, but I never saw a line the rest of the time I was in the lobby. I guess if you hit it at the wrong time (4pm) you will have to wait a while. I did receive a complimentary non alcoholic pina colada while I was in line though. The grounds are really nice and I liked my room and big bathroom. One guest I met in the elevator said he had to move rooms b/c of mold, which I didn't see in my room, but housekeeping wasn't what I would expect staying at a Hilton (dusty ac vents and dirty rugs stick out to me). I know some other people complained about the AC but I found it worked fine and my room was able to get nice and cold, and then warm up if it was too cold.

My major issue was regarding the lack of things to do in the area and place to eat. We didn't rent a car because we didn't want to pay for parking at the hotel on top of the rental fee, and thought we could just take a taxi everywhere we went, in an attempt to save money. It didn't quite work out that way. Since the only thing within walking distance was a Subway and a park, we had to take a taxi to go everywhere. After 7 or 8 days Subway got old, and the overpriced (though tasty) hotel restaurants were taking their toll. We did rent a car for one day, and made good use of it. I guess if you're prepared to spend $40-$60 a day on taxis or pay for the parking and try and navigate the roads yourself, you will have a better time.

A few more things to mention.
*The internet was not free. This is 2011 not 1996 when the internet was new and exciting and something only business people used. Seriously? Charge $5 more a night for each room and then take away the internet charges and provide everyone with internet, no one will know the difference and guests will think it's just one more awesome thing about staying at a Hilton.
*The beds were extremely soft and comfy at first. But then after all the walking, my pregnant back began hurting. I have a bad back to begin with, so that may have been it, but the soft and plushness of the bed meant there wasn't as much support.
*The fitness center was nice, and my husband used it almost every day. It has all the basic equipment you would see at a gym, and they have headphones to use and plug into the treadmills so you could listen to music or watch tv. I would bring my own headphones if I knew that was how the treadmills were set up.
*The showers suck- water pressure isn't great and neither is the drainage.
*The pool was a little cold, and I am surprised it's not heated (and I went in June when it was really warm out so that is saying something).

Overall, it wasn't a bad trip, I think it was just too long of a trip. I enjoyed the amenities at the hotel, and my son thoroughly enjoyed the pool and beach. The garden area was nice and I enjoyed feeding the fish as well.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Nice beach resort with good large rooms all with tile flooring and nice newer looking bathrooms. Restaurant, bar, gym and starbucks onsite. Overall we would stay here again; rooms nice and clean and staff pretty friendly. We did how ever walk in one afternoon and rooms was barely cleaned; shampoo, towels not replaced and we found a full pack of menthol cigarettes next to the bed, hmn.... called housekeeping and the room cleaner showed up and he was very happy since he lost his cigarettes while making our beds earlier on that day. In the his state of excitement he still forgot to replenish shampoo, towels etc. but later on we called housekeeping for the second time and a nice lady came with the missing supplies. Pretty nice staff just took at as the housekeeping department was not quite organized. Good property for older, younger folks, famelies with kids and pretty much all ages! Good value if you can overlook the "little" things that could happen.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice and good size, price determine the view you'll get.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!