“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Houston, Texas
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed at the Caribe Hilton for 2 nights before taking a cruise. Great hotel! Many different restaurants to choose from on site. Plenty of chairs around pool and beach area. Room was spacious and very comfortable bed. Great selection for breakfast. Beautiful grounds. Would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (848)
  • Polish first
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Although the pool and gardens at this hotel are quite lovely, the staff is less than friendly and the accommodations quite dated. The facility is in serious need of renovation. Not a good value and certainly below Hilton standards.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

changing rooms and always hair in the tub and sink no wi-fi roof paint falling we had to make sure to close the doors it was damage an got stock had to poll every time we left nice people was the exeption i always do in travel the deference was the view and the bar and lobby staff in one gift chop there is this girl named walesca che had more info to offer than the house keeping manager Alex ho need a supervisor to translate last time i spend that much for so

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and I pricelined and by the luck of the draw Caribe Hilton was what we ended up with. Our stay was 9 nights, with my Hilton Honors account they upgraded us to an oceanview room for no charge. We were put on the Garden wing which is what I would recommend, it is on the side of the hotel which has the fort. The Garden view overlooks the small bird sanctuary (which has a beautiful peacock!) and Sweet Grass, it is more private than the other wings. We were impressed by the amenities and condition of the hotel, we caught them painting in different areas during our stay.

The pina colada's are good, but $12 a pop- so, go down to Old San Juan for a drink. The food is pretty terrible in the 2 restaurants we tried, but there is so much wonderful food in San Juan that you should not be eating in the hotel (it was the middle of a downpour both of our exceptions- May is rainy season).

The best part about the hotel was the location! You are just between the popular beach area and Old San Juan. The Condado beach area I would not recommend to stay in. It is more like frat party than a vacation, crappy food and the Conrad we tried for a drink is loud and cheap.

It is a $15 cab ride each way to Old San Juan and it is a hike, it can be done- but, be prepared to be really sweaty!!!

San Juan is awesome! My favorite trip everything.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This is my 3rd stay at this hotel. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are great. This time I stayed in the Honors Tower and must say the shower was awesome.

I like this hotel because it's close to Old San Juan. There is a car rental place across the street, Mortons is on the property and have great bar happy hour after 9pm.

My only disappointment would be the access and limitations of the manager on duty has to offer. Was very frustrated at their lack of care and level of customer experience. It's not the same as it was before.

• Stayed July 2011
Amherst, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

The hotel itself is great, although it is in a somewhat secluded location. It is important to have a car if you want to tour the island (parking is extra and not that close). The beach is nice and the pool is fantastic. I also highly recommend the breakfast buffet- it is worth the money. They have a great playground for kids and I went to a morning yoga class that was very good. I loved the hammocks in the shade! The only down side was the customer service. It took us at least an hour to check in and to check out and when we called to complain about the some construction noises down the hall from our room they were unresponsive.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

This was my first visit to Puerto Rico (but, hopefully not my last) and I did a lot of research on hotels prior, since it was to be my "home" for 10 days. The open air lobby & check-in desk were a nice touch compared with other hotels with a relatively speedy check-in; we got in at 1:00p on a Thursday with only one other person in line before me. Check-in time is 4:00p, I believe, but they checked us in early with no problems. And while I certainly enjoyed the location in proximity to Old San Juan(OSJ), as well as the privacy of the pool/beach areas, there is definitely room for improvement.

1. Initially given an ocean view room in the main tower. Based on suggestions from other guests, I had called twice prior to my stay to ensure that my reservation was for a more recently remodeled room, but our first room was very outdated and dirty room with a slight view of the ocean (the view was surpassed by the sounds of the restaurant vents, cars, sirens and check-in area below our "view"). The wood furniture was warped, splintered and some of the doors to closets/fridge didn't close. I'm short and my knees nearly hit the bathroom door when sitting on the toilet. We were moved to the Garden wing the following day without any resistance & were greeted to a room about 15 years newer (apparently this wing had been remodeled in 2008 or so?).

2. Most of the staff were super friendly & helpful (maybe one person seemed annoyed with my questions). I like to ask locals wherever I travel for ideas on food, shopping, etc. and nearly everyone I asked was more than happy to share their personal recommendations & advice. I truly loved the people of Puerto Rico!

3. Garden view room much more modern. Ask for view of garden & ocean (you will have a balcony over the garden with a fantastic view of the ocean; AND you can be serenaded to sleep by the coqui frogs). Quieter, but still not clean. Hairs covered floor, a/c broken(but they did repair, it just took a long time for the room to cool due to the humidity), patio door lock missing, shower drain plugged, mildew/mold accumulated (a/c not equipped for PR humidity?)

4. No wireless in rooms; not even to purchase. Free WiFi was supposed to be available in main areas. HORRIBLE RECEPTION. I would get a connection for a few minutes, then it would sign off and force me to reenter the password to connect again. Frustrating. It was easier just to find a seat in, or close to, the onsite Starbucks because they had wonderful reception for their free WiFi.

5. Workout facilities were good. But, you have to rent tennis racquets & other fitness items. One would think that the 14% resort fee would cover some of these recreational items. Nothing was free here except for the coffee in the rooms, which was a suprisingly good morning fix for this Seattleite. :) And the Starbucks employees were super friendly & accommodating (i.e. gave me a free pastry when the line wasn't moving & allowed me to fill a cup with half & half for free to take to our room mini fridge for that aforementioned morning coffee). Side note: Starbucks prices were about a dollar more per drink/item than in the Seattle area; prices were the same at all other locations throughout PR, too, so hit up Cuatro Sombras in OSJ.

6. Onsite restaurants very overpriced, although the $15(pre-tax) Hilton Burger was a pretty good substitute for a 4th of July BBQ. :) I suggest researching restaurants in Old San Juan, Condado, etc. Look online at the Travel Channel recommendations (i.e. "No Reservations" or "Man v. Food"), which were better than the suggestions given by the concierge desk.

Room Tip: Ask for room in the Garden wing; request a view of the garden & ocean (see review).