“Great stay at Caribe Hilton” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Night Fall!
Ranked #15 of 47 hotels in San Juan
Columbus, Ohio
“Great stay at Caribe Hilton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Loved my recent stay at the Caribe Hilton in San Juan. Very beautiful when you walk in- you see the pool area immediately. Everyone was really friendly and helpful. The rooms were really nice and we had a balcony. The hotel has restaurants and a starbucks. It was a good mix of couples, singles, families. We (2 girls) felt safe in the area.
The location seemed cleaner and less trashy than Isla Verde's commercial strip. The location is withing walking distance of Condado, and about 5-10 minutes by car to Old San Juan, but about a $20-$25 cab ride to Isla Verde or the airport.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

3,675 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
  • Polish first
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

This hotel surpassed all expectations. From the doorman to the front desk, there was absoluetly no complaints. You get almost an exclusive treatmeant as if you were the only one in the hotel. Everyone was very friendly and seemed very sincere as if they really take pride in their jobs and the hotel, specially Mrs. Glenda Rivera who went out of her way to make my stay as comfortable as possible. She is just amazing, not only she helps on any situation or needs, she makes sure that every need was
taken care of and followed up on. Love you Mrs. Rivera...!! (And she is beautiful...and hot......upsss..!!)

The room was amazing with a view of the ocean on one side and the San Geronimo Fortress on the other. The bed has a comfortable firm mattress and your head just melts into the pillows providing you with the best night's sleep ever! The location is superb!!! As you walk in the hotel you actually forget you are here to work and the view of the pool, the pool bars, the ocean, the hamocks, invites for a vacation instead of a business trip. Staying at this hotel is just an amazing-espectacular experience. It just have everything Puerto Rico has to offer. Sorry to be so long winded but I just want the staff to know how appreciative I am of their outstanding hospitality and service. Giving this hotel 5 stars would simply be an underating.....!!!!

Room Tip: They are all excellent...!!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, August 7, 2011
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us! This is why we work very hard everyday! We always have room for improvement but is good to hear that you have such a great time. Thank you again for the feedback!
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

I think that FAMURattler and my family were at the Caribe Hilton the same week because my family's experience was exactly the same - horrible from the minute we arrived!!! We also arrived on a Sunday. However, it was not busy at all. Despite this, no one greeted us or gave us any information about the hotel's amenities. At this point, we were disappointed but were looking forward to our beautiful room with an ocean view. To our great surprise, we were sent to a completely filthy and smelly room with a view of the roof and partial ocean view. Of course, we returned to the front desk and requested a clean room with a view of the ocean. This is what we had paid for after all. But, did we get this? No!!! They sent us to an even worse room. I have no idea how this was even possible. Again, we returned to the front desk and agreed to go to the original room they had given us because we had pre-paid for the hotel. We were trapped in this dump!!! And, to top it off, we had to wait about an hour to get into our room because the card key did not work. Did they even offer us water or something during the wait? Nope! We literally waited in front of that room until a staff member was sent to fix the door. How about that!?!

Regardless of our experience upon arrival, we tried to be positive. We thought that the service would get better. Did it? Nope!!! It just got worse. Everyone that we encountered was extremely rude and unprofessional. For example, we went to eat breakfast at Las Palmeras on Monday morning. When we arrived, the hostess was having a personal conversation with another employee. Instead of greeting us, she completely ignored us and continued her conversation. At some point, my sister politely interrupted and asked if we could be seated. The hostess gave us a dirty look, made a rude gesture, and told us to follow her. Once we got to our table, she immediately left without saying a word and continued her rudeness. This behavior repeated itself during the our entire stay of six days. Needless to say, we will never go to Caribe Hilton or any Hilton hotel ever again!!! And, Caribe Hilton is responsible for truly ruining our entire trip and left us with no desire to ever return to Puerto Rico!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience. We really appreciate the feedback and I want to assure you that we take this information very seriously. The lack of customer service is unacceptable. Thank you again for your feedback.
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

The open air and blue light lobby was beautiful, clean and very sleek and modern. 15-20 minutes for check-in process with free ice-cold water. I was upgraded to an ocean view room on the lagoon side, and had a nice view of the water, San Geronimo fort, Conrad Hotel, and bridge to Candado.

Upon entering the room, I immediately notice the cover for the sprinkler on the ceiling is missing. The carpet is old and dirty. The bathroom is decent, and in need of revamping and renovating. The sliding door needs to apply lubricate on the railing as it is rusted. The balcony railing is a bit loose. Do NOT lean on the railing. The balcony floor gets flooded easily with water after the rain because of the clogged drainage. The double beds are cleaned. Room has everything you need, just not very clean.

There is a subway right around the corner if you’re looking for some cheap food. A little convenience and liquor store has some things but not much. There is a car rental place there. Taxi costs $12 to Old San Juan or 75 cents by B-21 public transportation which is one or two blocks away (look for PARADA sign by the Luis Munoz Rivera Park).

The grounds were beautiful, and very large. There was a garden area with a Koi and black Tilapia pond, white and black swans and a peacock wandering around, a large pool area with swim up bar, and there was an old Fort next to the property (which is gated and guarded, but you can't enter). A great pool, hammocks for lounging, a jacuzzi, and a great beach. The beach area was hotel-only accessible with a swimming area that was very safe and calm but still had beautiful fish and snorkeling. Don’t forget to fish feeding deck for feeding fishes during the day/night time.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for an upgrade at the front desk.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Thank you for taking from your time to share your experience. We are schedule to renovate the Main Building, the only building that's not renovated. The most important thing for us our customer's safety. We are very happy to hear that you had a good time during your stay. Thank you for your feedback.
Brick, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

My family of four stayed at the Caribe Hilton last month. We had a tremendous view. The restaurants on site had great food and friendly staff. The infinity pool was beautiful and fun for my 8 and 9 year old daughters. The beach area was hotel-only accessible with a swimming area that was very safe and calm but still had beautiful fish and snorkeling. It was a quick cab ride to charming Old San Juan restaurants and shopping.
My daughter lost her beloved stuffed animal and the staff was very compassionate and understanding and did everything they could to find the lovey and make things right! A week later, the manager sent it home to us via Fed Ex with a letter and photos from the stuffed animal explaining that he was sorry he had to stay behind and vacation there himself! I cried.

I would tell anyone that this is the best place to stay in the San Juan vicinity. And we did visit many beautiful hotels in the area. The other hotels were beautiful, but their beaches were not as calm as the Caribe Hilton.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to share you great experience with us. This is wonderful to hear and this is why we work hard everyday! Thank you again this is what we like to hear!
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

I typically stay in a hotel once a week for business and/or personal trips. I've stayed at both mid-range properties (Marriott Courtyard, Hampton Inns, etc.), to higher-end locations (Intercontinental, Four Seasons, Waldorf, etc.). Based on my years of experience with hotel stays, I can honestly say that my experience at the Hilton Caribe San Juan was one of the worst hotel experiences I've had in about 10 years.

My first complaint is regarding the service my family and I received upon arriving at the hotel. We arrived on a Sunday, which I later found out was typically the hotels busiest day. It was a madhouse, but this was no excuse for the lax attitude of the staff. After a long 3.5 hour flight and 35 minute drive to the hotel, we were greeted by a traffic jam of cars and buses at the hotel lobby entrance. I saw more than enough adequate staff to handle the volume of cars and visitors, but no one seemed to be leading the staff or the guests. I saw some bellhops helping guests, but no one ever came up to our car to assist, so I finally just hopped out of the car and unloaded my own luggage. While my wife went to check-in, I walked over to the valet and requested that they park my car. Isn't the valet supposed to greet you upon arrival and offer this service? I would expect better service for $20/day parking. Once we checked-in a received our room number, I then had to walk over to the bellhop station and request luggage assistance. Again, I thought the bellhops were supposed to great the guests, not the other way around! The bellhop supervisor didn't even ask for my room number. I had to ask him if he needed it. Had I not done this, I don't know how we would have gotten our bags.

Prior to leaving for San Juan we were somewhat concerned about the quality of the rooms based on many of the Hilton Caribe reviews on tripadvisor.com. Thus, my wife had exchanged several emails with Hilton Caribe and Hilton Corporate staff to request a clean/upgraded room. This also includes several email exchanges with Nitzamarie Escalera, who you can see has responded to many posts about the Hilton Caribe on tripadvisor.com. We were assured that we would be booked in a clean/upgraded room. My wife is a bit picky about hotel room cleanliness. I am not as picky (I travel too much for business to worry about that kind of thing), I still prefer a clean room.

So with that in mind, after spending about an hour in the lobby, we were finally able to go up to our room in the Hilton Caribe tower. What a disappointment! The room was filthy, even by my standards. Specifically, the baseboards were caked with grime and dust. I wiped one down with a wet wipe and it was black with months of gunk and grime. The rug clearly and not been vacuumed. The room had a tile floor that had obviously not been mopped. There were large food crumbs in corners. There were visible crumbs and dust on the entertainment system under the television. The air conditioner vent leaked water from the ceiling to the floor of the room. Overall, this room was not representative of any Hilton property I'd ever stayed in. When we called the front-desk to complain, they did immediately send a supervisor from housekeeping to inspect the room. She gave the room a quick once over, and sent someone up to clean the room. The guy they sent, did a quick spot clean on a few areas on the floor, vacuumed the rug with an ancient vacuum that spewed toxic fumes/dust and left. I still ended up wiping down the base boards and surfaces of the room myself (he couldn't be troubled to do that). Even the hallway entrance leading to our room was filthy. There was debris all over the floor. It was as if the vacuums that housekeeping used didn't work at all. This whole process had wasted about an hour of our time and we still didn't have our bags! I had to go back downstairs and again ask the bellhop captain to send someone up with our luggage.

I should also mention that just about everyone we encountered at the hotel (valet, bellhops, housekeeping) I found not to be very friendly or helpful. Whenever we requested assistance it seemed like we were "bothering" the hotel staff. In our previous emails with Nitzamarie Escalera and Hilton corporate, we'd gotten the sense that the staff would really go out of their way to make guests feel welcome. However, this was not the case at all.

To sum-up our nightmare at this hotel, after our experience at check-in we finally decided to throw in the (dirty) towel. We ended up driving across the bay to the Conrad Hilton to see if their rooms were any better. Of course, before leaving, it took us about 30 minutes to get our car out of the Hilton Caribe valet. We found that the Conrad Hilton, while also showing it's age, was quite a bit cleaner and more organized than the Hilton Caribe. After speaking with a helpful manager at this property we were able to get one of their few remaining double rooms. We then went back to the Hilton Caribe, packed our bags, and checked-out. This whole process took about 4 hours, note that we'd been up since 5 am to catch our flight to Puerto Rico. What a wonderful way to start our first trip to Puerto Rico!!

Overall the Hilton Caribe is a very old property and is showing it's age very badly. Having an older hotel does not have to be a bad thing, if the owners of the property keep the hotel in good condition. This hotel is falling apart. I will say that they have one of the better locations/beaches in the area, but I still would never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Harrisburg, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Hotel was very nice upon pulling up. Open air lobby, with immediate assistance from the desk staff. We were upgraded to a room on the lagoon side, and had a nice view of the water. BUT...upon entering our room, we immediately commented that it smelled musty, and was damp. We only stayed one night, before leaving for a cruise. The bathroom was very large, and offered a soaking tub, as well as shower, double vanity and separate toilet area. We wouldn't walk barefoot in our room (which I generally don't anyway), because the carpet felt damp, as did the bedding. The next day when we unpacked in our room on the ship, we noticed our clothes were actually wet as well, and had a slightly damp smell to them. The grounds were beautiful, and very large. There was a garden area with a Koi pond, swan and a peacock wandering around, a large pool area with swim up bar, and there was an old fort right in front of the property (Which is gated, so you can't enter). Overall, a nice stop for the night, but wouldn't want to stay for the whole week.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for you time, we really appreciate the feedback. San Geronimo fort is closed because there is work being done to avoid deterioration. Thank you again.

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!