“Well worth the money...” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Night Fall!
Ranked #15 of 47 hotels in San Juan
new york
“Well worth the money...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

This hotel is definitely a great choice if you have it as an option . A little pricey but it is just a beautiful as the pics show. My wife and myself really enjoyed our 4 day stay. the staff was very friendly and helpful. the hotel cleanliness to be commended. We felt extremely safe and welcomed at all times. centrally located, it allowed us to walk west to Old San Juan and east to the Condado, as we decided not to rent a car. I read the reviews before choosing the hotel and will say that the negative reviews must be ignored. We can't say enough about the hotel except that we will be staying there again when we return.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Thank you, for your wonderful review about our hotel, we really appreciate that you took some of your valuable time to share your experience with us. I’m glad that you had a pleasant stay with us. This is a great motivation for our staff to continue delivering great service. Thank you again for your comments.

3,675 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
  • Polish first
Gaylord, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Pool freezing! Prices out of this world. Draft Beer $9.00, Chicken Finger for kids $16.00. Taxi to downtown $12.50 each way. Hotel dated in older tower. We are Hilton Gold members, placed in awful room, Had to move because of elevator failure and electricity being redone. Name not on breakfast list in morning as promised for free breakfast. Garden tower AWFUL! Carpet peeling up. Spoke to manager to get points back for stay, promised them back then never did it. Had to go through Hilton to get them back. Did great trip to see glowing water micro organisms through Pure Adventure - AWESOME. Nice history but would stay elsewhere next time!!!! Could not even go into pool so cold on 80 degree day!

Room Tip: Good luck
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your valuable comments about your recent stay at our hotel. Let me apologize for this unfortunate inconveniences that you experienced with us, this is not the kind of service Caribe Hilton is know for. We will use your comments for re-training purposes. Again let me thank you for your comments.

Note to all TripAdvisor users: If you want to share more detailed information with us and help us improve our customer service, you can contact us on 787-721-0303 or at Nitzamarie.Escalera@hilton.com
Fremont, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

We found this to be a really enjoyable place to stay with two children under the age of 8. The hotel rooms are relatively spacious. The pool winds in and out so there are plenty of different places to swim. The alcove created by the rocks makes the beach very calm to swim in. There's little fear of the water dragging your children away, plus there are fish in the water to keep them entertained. There are plenty of chairs and lounging areas near the pool and beach for relaxing. There's a wonderful hammock area right next to the ocean. They even have parrot-like birds in the lobby and a separate garden area with peacocks, swans, lizards, etc. They didn't offer any childcare though.

When you get tired of all the fun in the sun, it's only a 5-10 minute walk to the bus stop, which is right next to a park. It's a 5-10 minute bus ride to Old San Juan, where there are lots of restaurants and tourist shops as well as two old forts. We found this bus to be extremely convenient; we'd often spend the day at the pool/beach and then take the bus in for dinner. It's only $.75 per person (they often waived the kids' fare) versus $12 by taxi. At a local's recommendation, we visited El Morro then a plaza by the coast with pigeons (tons of fun for our son) and got lunch at the food carts where everything is around $1.50. Hot dog con todo, empanadillas and all sorts of other fun stuff. We also really liked the restaurant Punta de Vista (get the arroz mamposteado) right near the bus stop and the 1st trolley stop. There's a free trolley that'll bring you all over the city, though we found it relatively easy to walk most of it since Old San Juan is only around a mile square. Take the trolley to get to the forts though.

You can also walk to the Condado plaza area (more of a 20 minute walk with little kids) from the hotel, but we found the area to be mainly hotels. There is a casino there for ages 18+. If you go, try the restaurant Ropa Vieja. It has tasty ropa vieja (shredded beef) and you can get it on top of mashed plantains (mofongo).

It's a little over an hour drive to El Yunque rainforest (a must-see), Luquillo (beach and kiosks with local food) and Fajardo (Bio Bay). You can rent the car right from the Hertz station next to the concierge desk and then bring it back that evening to avoid the nightly parking costs. We were at the Caribe Hilton for 6 days and we only felt we needed the car for 1 day because we could take the bus into Old San Juan.

We got the standard 2 bed room with an included buffet breakfast. I think the included buffet breakfast for 4 was worth the extra hotel cost since they offer everything - made-to-order omelets, french toast, fresh fruit, pastries, juice, etc. I wouldn't want to pay the $26/person every day but to have it included in the room cost was nice. We could often get by with a light lunch because we ate so much at breakfast. Also, kids 4 and under eat free all day and kids 7 and under pay half price, which makes eating overpriced food next to the pool not as bad.

All in all, I think this is a great place to stay when you have little kids. There are a couple convenience stores right across the street from the hotel plus a Subway. You can load up on cheaper snacks at the CVS in Old San Juan not to far from the bus stop - just walk along the water to get to it. And there's a completely empty mini-fridge in the room, great for putting juice boxes. And plenty of free water from the ice machines right in the hallways of the hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

The hotel was right on the water. Great location. The employee who checked me in Lia was awesome and went out of her way to accomodate me. She was very friendly and patient. The room we had in the tower was nice and comfortable. Did not have any time sleeping. The hotel can get busy as I had trouble transferring time to time. However, the manager was very receptive and attentive and made sure I was called back and take care of. They also left me a birthday treat in my room. Taxi rides into town were decently priced at 12 to 18 depending on where we were going (dont let them rip you off, because some will). Hotel was close by. Only thing is drinks and food are very expensive here, average of $15--- but they were very good. The bar food was also not very good. Best deal was the burger and the pitcher of mojitos. Theres a mortons in the place which was good, and also a Pina Colada place which did have the best pina coladas. Music on the weekend at the bar area. Beautiful place to stay. Cant recommend it enough if you are willing to spend the money. Great place to relax. Other comment- the restaurants are closed from 3 to 5 so plan around that.

I highly recommend an independent tour guide (with all appropriate licenses). We met during one of our trips to do scuba diving (he was our driver). His name was Hector Caolo Alvarez, caolito@gmail.com. He has a degree in tourism and is a native. He gave us a very reasonable price to go to Ponce. He was friendly, attentive, knowledgable, and flexible. The day trip we took had four of us, two groups. He was accomodating to what each one of us wanted to do. I highly recommend him over the group tour guides. Its a more personal guide at a better price. You will feel very well taken care of.

Room Tip: Be nice to the person checking you in
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, April 28, 2011
Jackson, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

I recently returned from San Juan after a 6 day stay at this hotel. If you get a good deal I would recommend staying here. Be aware that eating/drinking at the hotel will cost you a ridiculous amount of money. I recommend renting a car. We rented from Enterprise. I was going to rent from Allied, but it seemed sketchy to me. It's right in front of the hotel. Hertz is on property. Old San Juan is within walking distance if you choose to go (you should!). The fact that there is not free wi-fi is ANNOYING, but you can huddle by the starbucks downstairs with other guests to use your computer. We only ate at the hotel twice and both meals were not particularly great, but weren't bad, just pricey. Otherwise the hotel was very clean, staff was helpful. Check-in took a while and seemed like that was a trend for people each day. Do not get a room near the elevator, you will hear it running all day and night. Also get a room above the 4th floor, view is better. If you use concierge services or book tours, it seems that they are very limited in what they offer. What I mean is they work with one or two particular companies and try to push business towards them. I booked most things using tripadvisor recommendations and calling myself.

Room Tip: Not near elevator, about 4th floor
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011 via mobile

Our stay at the Caribe Hilton was great. The service was excellent,the recepcionist, Julio, made us feel at home. The beach,the pool,the food, the garden...all places were beautiful;made for pure fun and relaxation.

• Stayed April 2011
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

Overall, my husband and I had a great time at this hotel. The rooms were spacious and the balcony overlooked the water and felt very private because there was a full wall on either side (rather than just railings so that you are looking at your neighbors balcony). We don't have any children yet but, this strikes me as an ideal place to stay with little kids. There are multiple kids activities and the swiming beach is actually a large lagoon so, the surf is calm and because of the rounded shape it's fairly easy to keep an eye on the whole thing from any angle. There are 3 or 4 restaurants at the hotel and a Starbucks, we didn't eat at all of them but the ones we did try were good. The jerk chicken quesadilla wih spicy sauce at the pina colada club was the best meal I had. The downside is that the restaurants and drinks on sight are pretty expensive and there is not much else that we found off the resort within walking distance. You can take a taxi to old san juan for more restaurants and shoping, it takes about 10 minutes and the cost is 15$. I do have a couple of minor complaints about the service, which is not what I expected from a 5 star hotel with the Hilton name. First, when my husband and I left for the day (around 9:00) I saw the housekeeping staff cleaning other rooms on our floor. I made sure there was no "quite please" sign on our door and when I returned at 3, our room was still not made up. I had to call the housekeeping and request service. The other was when I went to get floats at the pool and the interrogated us about if we had kids, how many kids we had and how many floats we wanted. We were told rath by the crabby staff that told we could absoloutely not have more than 1 per person. Well they are rather small noodle type floats where 1 works for a child but, you really need 2 as a full grown adult. I would have no problem abiding by this policy or going without entirely so that a child could have one. My problem was the manner in which we were treated and the fact that this was monday morning, most weekend guests had gone home, there were a ton of floats and the beach was not crowded by any stretch. You'd think they could lend us 2 floats with the request that we return them as soon as we were finished incase other guests showed up or at least be a little nicer about the whole thing. The other minor issue was that when we went to get cash for a taxi to the airport both cash machines were out of money! We asked both the restaurant and the front desk to please run our credit card for 20$ additional and were told they could not do it because of the credit card charge. Well, I know credit card fees are usually around 5% so I hardly thought that the fee on an extra 20$ would be of consequence for a multi million dollar hotel chain especially considering the price we paid for the room not to mention food and drink. Also, my huband and I offered to pay the fees or more (we would have gladly tipped the waitress 50$ just to have her give by 20$ because we were really in a bind). The bell man did call us a cab which accepted credit cards (most there don't) but, it took a while to get there. Luckily our flight ended up being delayed. Anyways, sorry if these things sound really picky but, when you stay at a resort of this caliber, world class (not just fairly good) customer service should be part of the experience. All and all, if you decide to stay here you will probably have a nice relaxing vacation and not go home disspointed!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!