“I'll be back!!!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 47 hotels in San Juan
Plymouth, MA
“I'll be back!!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

My husband and I went there for an overnight before leaving on a cruise. It was beautiful. The location was superb, facilities clean (I loved the cushy beds around the pool area!!). We ate at the Thai restaurant and that was great, we had an 1 1/2 wait but that was our fault for not making reservations. But that was ok, there are enough bars to go to to wait. I really think this hotel would be a fantastic family destination. There was a protected beach area for little ones with plenty of activities to do. I will definately be back, maybe this time I'll bring my kids and my grand daughter.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Nitzamarie-Escalera, Coordinator at Caribe Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
Thank you for your wonderful review about our hotel, we really appreciate that you took some of your valuable time to share your experience with us. I’m glad that you had a pleasant stay with us. This is a great motivation for our staff to continue delivering great service. Thank you again for your comments.

3,657 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (819)
  • Polish first
Herndon, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Spent the w/e of March 5 with my spouse at the Hilton Caribe. Loved the grounds and the view around the hotel. We needed a spot to unwind and this is a great location for that goal. The hotel has a nice-looking gym (that we didn't get around to using). Our room was clean and more than sufficient. Our reservation through Expedia included a free continental breakfast and coupons to the Casino at the Conrad Hotel (a short walk away to nearby Condado). Several steps beyond the Conrad is the Ropa Vieja, a nice, reasonably priced restaurant. Keep this place in mind because many of the restaurants in the area, including the ones at the hotel, are expensive. Drinks at the hotel are also pricey.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

This is a lovely hotel. On arrival we were upgraded to a junior suite in the Condado Lagoon villas, and it was spacious and comfortable, with a wall of windows and a large balcony offering a partial sea view. (Not a full sea view, although it was described as such.) During our 7-night stay, we found the service to be pretty good, although the valet arrangement for our rental car was a bit disorganized. We enjoyed the Oasis bar in the lobby and we especially recommend the pina coladas! Wifi is available in the lobby only.

We had two disappointments, however, because of the hotel's misleading claims! The Hilton website states that the Caribe Hilton features "17 acres of lush tropical gardens" and that it is "ideally situated between historic old San Juan and the exciting Condado area", which are "just minutes away". We were envisioning spending time exploring these tropical gardens, and walking to restaurants in old San Juan. In reality, there's perhaps half an acre of tropical gardens in total if you count every isolated palm tree on the grounds. And the location is not "ideal", it's actually very inconvenient, because there's almost nothing within walking distance. Old San Juan is 2 miles away - "minutes away" by taxi, not on foot. We were constantly taking taxis to Old San Juan or Condado, which cost $12 each way. (Having a rental car didn't help, as there's virtually no parking in these popular areas.)

We plan to return to San Juan next year, but we'll choose a hotel that's right in Old San Juan.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful review about our hotel, we really appreciate that you took some of your valuable time to share your experience with us. I’m glad that you had a pleasant stay with us. We are really sorry that you felt dissapointed with our location and our grounds. This is a great motivation for our staff to continue delivering great service. Thank you again for your comments.
Neillsville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

This hotel was great in every way! Pricey yes but everything in San Juan area is. If you keep that in mind before booking you will go and have a great time. My daughter and I went and enjoyed the wonderful Aveda spa there everyday.
The restaurants were great Mortons was excellent, they serve an appetizer shrimp cocktail that is just wonderful. In fact if you order one to go, put it in your room refrigerator, you can enjoy it on your balony for lunch the next day. The steak was the best I have ever had and is the restaurant pricey? Yes, so expect it. Worth every penny? Yes! Lemongrass is outstanding, we had the meal complete that they offer. It consists of appetizer, main course and desert. Their shrimp lo mein is excellent. We paid $50 each and it was worth every cent.
The beach was excellent and sunny early and clouds up in the afternoon. So early is good. Taxis are always readily available but pricey, so prepare yourself.
We didn't do tours from here, as we had also spent 4 nights at El Convento and they, upon our request, gave us the name of a private tour guide, James, who let us choose what we wanted to see. He was the best and hired him for the entire day.
Our room was clean, spacious, great balcony with ocean view and nice large bathroom. Room service was super.
The people of Puerto Rico I have found to be so sweet!
Let me tell you this was a trip to never forget! We titled our trip, "The Best of Both Worlds" and it was 4 nights at El Convento in Old San Juan for the old world and 4 nights at Caribe Hilton by the ocean for the new world. It truly was the Best of Both Worlds!
So my advice is save hard, believe me when I say this will be a pricey trip and be prepared and you will have an unforgetable vacation! Enjoy! Life is good!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Eastern Shore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Caribe Hilton while he was attending a conference. The hotel was a great place for me during the day with many activities and opportunities to relax. Extra kudos to Zulma the yoga instructor who is an excellent teacher and leads a wonderful class (for free!!). The yoga classes on the beach really made my week!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

This is our 6th time in San Juan, and our 5th time staying at the Caribe Hilton. We stayed in the Hilton Honors Tower this trip, and the room was quite delightful. Full ocean view, and breakfast buffet included daily. The staff is always 100% on target, very courteous and accomodating. At the bar the best bartender around is Victor, at the Atlantis Poolside Restaurant/Bar Arleen is the best waitress! Don't forget to visit Ola's Spa, great package deals!!

The only negative thing we can say about our stay was the elevator's in the Hilton Honors Towers have major issues. One was inoperable the entire time, and the other one got stuck 4 times while we were in it for a couple minutes each time. Though brought this issue to the front desk, it didn't appear to be on their high priority list whatsoever to fix.

We will stay again for sure...............until next time Caribe............

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

I've stayed at this property several times over the past few years for work and for leisure, my most recent stay being a 7 day vacation. I've always received top notch, 1st class service from the Caribe Hilton staff. There were a few issues during the 1st day of my recent stay. Individually, all issues were minor, but the sum of everything that happened prompted me to file a complaint with Hilton guest assistance. The Caribe Hilton office manager and staff responded very quickly and corrected my issues promptly and professionally. The remainder of my stay was wonderful and all those on the Caribe Hilton staff that I interacted with were 1st class people. This includes front desk, Atlantico, Palmeras, Il Giardino, room service, concierge, and business center. I will definitely return to the Caribe Hilton during future visits to Puerto Rico.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Caribe Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!