“A nice experience in San Juan” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
30% Off in Paradise
Ranked #5 of 46 hotels in San Juan
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
“A nice experience in San Juan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I spent 7 days and 6 nights at the San Juan Marriott in mid January. The location is good and the service at the front desk excellent. I had an ocean/pool view but had requested an ocean front room but was denied as they did not have a room with a king bed available. The room I had was a corner room with a balcony. The room was roomy, the bed comfortable and the addition of a lounge chair was a plus. No watching TV from the bed! Room was serviced most days by 11 a.m. The one thing I had not known was this hotel seems to get many business persons and a lot of 3 and 4 day conferences. You do not get the usual vacationeer and it was hard to find fellow travellers to bond with at any time. Would be a great hotel if you had a long layover at the airport or just want a short getaway. I usually like to walk on the beach but they did not seem to groom the beach each morning as they do in other Marriotts located on a beach. The pools were lovely but they did not have anyone to locate a lounge for you or to place the towels on the lounge. You just grabbed a towel or two at the towel hut and took your chances with a lounge chair. There were no umbrellas at either pool for shade just the palm trees. The bar and food service in the pool area was better than usual. You never wanted for something to drink or eat and the servers were pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: I was in 904 a corner room and it was roomy and the balcony did not get the hot run after 3 pm and w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
JCT-DOM-PR, Manager at Marriott San Juan Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Arubagals

Thank you for choosing us to stay at on your recent visit to Puerto Rico and thank you for writing about your experience. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and assists us in improving our facilities and services. I was pleased to hear that your room was to your liking and it had the space needed to enjoy your experience and thet the service around the beach/pool bar was of a high standard and appreciated.

Being centrally located, our resort does have a variety of travelers, from business, convention to leisure so I was sorry to hear that it was harder to meet fellow leisure travelers like yourself.

You have provided a lot of great feedback which we will definitely be looking into. The beach at the front of the hotel is a public beach thus is looked after by the municipality but we be in contact with them to discuss grooming standards and the times they are provided. Thank you for bring this to our attention. We will also review some of our poolside services to see if they can be tweaked to provide greater satisfaction.

Arubagals, if I can ever assist you in a return trip to Puerto Rico and to the San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, please don't hesitate in contacting me at 787 289 5036 or at julian.cable-treadwell@marriotthotels.com.

3,048 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (873)
Bay Shore, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was our first visit to this hotel, we came down with my wife's sister and brother in law. Wife and I were celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary, sister and brother in law their 37th. We mentioned it to Stephanie Santiago at the front desk when we were checking in. The following day to our surprise we both found a delicious platter of cheeses and grapes along with a good bottle of wine in each of our rooms compliments of the hotel! Can't say enough nice things about all of the staff at this hotel, from Stephanie at the front desk, to Javier the bell hop to Pedro the beach waiter and all the guys setting up umbrellas on the beach to Benjamin in security everyone of them always greeted you with a warm smile and seemed genuine in their regard for you and that everything was to your satisfaction. To us that's the most important factor when choosing a place to stay. The majority of big name chain hotels will have adequate facilities, it's the attention to their customers enjoying their stay that will set them apart. To all the staff at the Marriott thank you all very much for making our stay such a pleasure...we'll be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Maineville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights before a work conference started. The rooms were fine, always clean and plenty of towels, the AC worked just fine. Our room was on the 18th floor and I liked how the patios all had chairs and small table, we sat out there a lot and looked at our ocean view as well as down at the pool. The pool was ok, didnt seem to get much sun, the hotel is so tall that it creates a huge shadow across the pool most of the day and the beach by noon. The beach staff was great, they meet you at the access to beach and get your chairs placed for you. they know the sun movements and put our chairs in a spot that we did not need to move. We didnt go to the casino, although at night the whole first floor was hopping with activity. We ate in the neighborhood and felt safe. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

When looking for a hotel for my trip, I did not know which to choose so I went by Trip Advisors reviews. The Marriott proved to be a great choice. From the moment I drove up, every single employee went out of their way to either help me, answer a question, smile, open doors etc. They were the friendliest group I'd ever encountered on any trip. Truly, they went over and above what I'm sure they are "supposed" to do. The grounds are beautiful. You are right on the beach, have a lovely large pool to use if you choose to, nice bar outside etc.. The Red Coral lounge, located in the main lobby, serves great drinks and in the evenings on the weekends it opens up with live music. There is a casino on the premises. I was not impressed by it but then again, I've gone to Las Vegas so many times that it's an unfair comparison. My only surprise were the beds. We all agree that the mattresses were very uncomfortable and if you moved, it squeaked. They need to change them in the rooms that we had. That said, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Lisa J

What a fabulous review ! Thank you so much !! It will be a pleasure to share your review with our associates over the coming week at their various department meetings.

However, I was sorry, and surprised, to hear about the beds of your group. If you have the time and the inclination, I would really appreciate it if you could contact me offline to share your room numbers with me so that we can rectify the issue so other guests don't have the same experience.

I can be reached at 787 289 5036 or at julian.cable-treadwell@marriotthotels.com. Many thanks once again.
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a weekend before our cruise. Our room was nice and had a beautiful view of the pool and ocean. Very nice lobby bar and a great band played later in the evening. The pool area was also very nice. We mostly kept to the beach area. Bar service on the beach was prompt and kept us happy. The beach was beautiful with really nice sand. We couldn't walk very far down the beach in either direction, but it is a nice enough stretch for a short walk. The workout room was also nice and had everything I needed including several treadmills so I never had to wait. All of the staff we encountered were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Good location between airport (but away from the noise of airplanes) and old San Juan in nice neighborhood with walking distance to Starbucks, variety of restaurants, pharmacy and stores. Located on the beach (beach is ok but nothing special), inside the resort is nice swimming pool, hot tub and lounge chairs. Restaurant and Casino on premises (didn't really care about the Casino but it is there, nothing glamorous though). Room s are clean and comfortable, I had a balcony with ocean view so that was great in the morning to grab breakfast in the Starbucks (accros from hotel) and sit on the balcony. Old San Juan is about 10 mins drive, or you can take a bus. Hotel has paid parking (use self park). Overall good location and would recomend.

Room Tip: Ocean view room with balcony, higher floor due to matured trees blocking view on lower floors
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
San Carlos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Actually, my trip was in Feb, not March of 2012. Its taken me a while to get around to writing my review. This was a trip I took with my daughter since she was off the entire ski week. First time in PR and was not disappointed with this hotel. Standard Marriott type rooms, but ours was a larger in the side tower at pool level. Was concerned about security, but nothing happened to us... kept stuff in the safe. Our rate was pretty good due to a special. On site car rentals, but recommend you reserve ahead of time due to cruise ships cleaning the inventory out. Local restaurants were good and easy to walk to. Taxi to old SJ could cost you quite a bit, so if you have a rental... takes the bite out (plus parking in SJ is easy). Otherwise it is what it is. Good hotel for families, later in the year we stayed at the Renaissance. Though that place was tres chic, this is better for families. Rooms are bigger as well. Beach is a bit nicer I'd say. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: Stayed in the side tower at pool level... access to the pool. However, takes a bit to get back to l...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Marriott San Juan Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!