“Cabana room smells horribly musty” 3 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Cabana room smells horribly musty”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Just checked in and am sorry I chose this hotel. Granted you don't spend all your time in the room, but I do expect it not to stink. The carpet is dirty, not sure why they haven't replaced it. No pride taken on the rooms.

Room Tip: High floor for ocean view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
JCT-DOM-PR, Manager at Marriott San Juan Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear lifeisgood66

I am so sorry that your room is not up to your standards. We take tremendous pride in our service and facilities and to hear that our room product has let you down is deeply regretful. If you are still in-house, please reach out to me so that we can discuss further but if you have already checked out, I would really appreciate it if you could contact me off line to let me know which room, or floor you stayed in.

This does happen occasionally but it is rare that we don't pick it up prior to checking a guest in. Having said that, it seems that this has happened a couple of times over the past month and we will work to rectify the situation.

I can be reached at julian.cable-treadwell@marriotthotels.com or at 787 289 5036.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,298)
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

lovely location but no free breakfast and parking. Add on the taxes and you have one big bill to pay.We parked on the road and as it was MLK day the cop told us it is free parking so we did not put in coins and guess what had a parking ticket waiting for us. Starbucks and the burger place in front helped us save a few dollars as we ate some of our meals out

Room Tip: ocean view and higher room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear greddy114

Thank you so much for your review and candid feedback of your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you found us too expensive and that you also got a parking ticket defiitely adds insult to injury.

We do ensure that all of our pricing is aligned to other full service properties in the San Juan Metro area to ensure that we priced fairly and provide value for money so it is unfortunate on this occasion.

If I can ever assist you in coming back to Puerto Rico or to the San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, please contact me at julian.cable-treadwell@marriotthotels.com or at 787 289 5036.
Pleasanton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This property should be the Marriott's MARQUIS property. Not only was our room/suite excellent, the people/staff were exemplary. We had a family reunion on short notice, and the front dest manager moved several other reservations so that our family could be on one floor together.

Food service and restaurants: La Isla Grill serves the most delicious pan seared grouper. I have never had better!!

My aunt used a wheel chair, and the Marriott staff could not be nicer; way above and beyond the call of duty. While by the pools, you could tell that she wanted to enter the pool, but was "shy" to ask for assistance. One of the attendants noticed her and offered to help, he said he understood and that his mother also had "challenges". What a blessing it is to see young men and women do things for others because it is the right thing to do.

I specifically asked for the general manager and told him of this young man's assistance. He was pleased.

The ONLY thing I could say needs improving is that the pool towels seemed to be well used, and could use upgrading.

We will be back at the hotel with a group of over 50 in September for a business reunion.

Make sure you go to Arecibo!

Room Tip: All rooms are great, do ask for a KING, those beds were all replaced in November 2012!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Our stay was nice, the bellhop and front desk clerks were very friendly and helpful. Our corner, ocean view room was very clean, the bed and pillows comfortable. The rooms are in need of a face-lift very soon though. The wait staff on the beach was attentive and friendly. The bartenders at the patio bar or lobby bar…not so much. The hotel is in a good location for Codnado Beach, Starbucks across the street, with liquor/tobacco and drug store near-by. Overall our stay was pleasant, but we may be open to other options on our next visit to San Juan.

Room Tip: Request ocean view, and the upper-floors are obviously better!
Dear apgrego

Thanks for the feedback in such a concise and honest way. It is greatly appreciated. I will ensure that your comments, positive and constructive, about our associates are passed onto them at their next departmental meetings.

I also appreciate your feedback on the quality of our room and yes, we do hear your feedback and are working on a timeline to give our rooms a soft furnishings upgrade. Having said that, we are extremely proud of the way our rooms look and how they are maintained by our Housekeeping and Engineering Departments.

You definitely sound like you took full advantage of our central Condado location and that is great. If I can assist you in coming back to the San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, please don't hesitate in contacting me directly at 787 289 5036 or at julian.cable-treadwell@marriotthotels.com.
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Very nice hotel, nice staff and overall very good . My only compliant is the cost of drinks. Really, how could you justify a 15 drink plus tip. 8 for a Medlla light. At these prices 4-5 drinks for a day at the beach would have cost over 1200 for the week, for me and the wife. So me being the savvy traveler went across the street and bought some vodka and mix. Then would go to the bar and leave a 2 tip for the staff for a cup of ice. Well day 2 the bartender told me that I was not allowed to bring my own liquor. I was on vacation , so not wanting any confrontation spend the rest of the week on the beach.

While this is a nice hotel, it is not NYC or Paris , so the price point for the drinks are crazy. I can afford to stay here, but won't be able to if I was so foolish with my money.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
clvndrocks

Thanks so much for your review and your feedback. Your point on our beverage prices is well taken and we will be conducting a survey in the coming weeks to ensure that our drinks prices are in line with what the other full service hotels in our competitive set are charging.

If I can ever assist in getting you back to Puerto Rico and to the San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino, please let me know by contacting me at 787 289 5036 or at julian.cable-treadwell@marriotthotels.com.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We were lucky, our flight was quick and on time and we arrived to beautiful weather. The Hotel was located on a beautiful piece of property and we immediatley went to the pool for a quick dip. The attmosphere was relaxing and inviting, our room was pleasant and clean. The four days we were there went by too fast! I would highly suggest this property--just for the ease alone!

Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The San Juan Resort & Stellaris Casino:
Our room was clean and tastefully cheery in décor. The hotel itself was luxurious enough for our standards. Service was attentive -- anytime we called reception. A postcard, magnet and three mini-chocolates were in our room to welcome us (see photo).
The location seemed ideal: 1 block away was a 24 hour Walgreen's mini-grocery/drug store, Starbucks across the street, restaurants and bars along the main street where the hotel is located. PLUS, the beach is right at the doorstep.
Our room, #801, was right across the elevator but we heard nothing. Walls also seemed well insulated from noise. The coqui (Puerto Rican frogs) were singing every night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott San Juan Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!