“What I expected” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in San Juan
Jersey city
“What I expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Having went to high school in San Juan, I travel there about 2 times per year. However, this was my first time at the Marriott. We stayed over Thanksgiving and chose it because of the great reviews and I wanted to stay in Condado, we usually stay in Isla Verde.

Overall everything was what i expected. I did not find the hotel exceptional, but solid.

Staff: They were helpful, but no one went out of their way per say.

Room: The smallest I have had in PR. I have stayed in the Conrad, Hilton, El San Juan and InterCon. I could barely close the bathroom door, maybe it was just my room - 1022. I will say the shower was awesome and the bed was great. I also liked that we were given bottled water each day.

Pool/Beach: Were fine. There are no umbrellas at the pool, but it has good shade. One pool is shallow and the other is normal. If you are searching for quiet at the pool, just sit on the chairs near the beach.

Restaurants: We did not eat at the hotel. Our favorite is Jam Rum Bar (which I need to review as well) it is down the block on Ashford. We also had tapas at La Concha and ate in other places in San Juan and Lechonarias in the country.

Coffee Shop: Was great, liked it better than Starbucks.

Overall, solid trip. I do not think I would stay there again. Our friends stayed at LaConcha and we spent time there and loved it, so next trip to La Concha it is (unless too pricey) then El San Juan.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
5 Thank Melissa Y
JCT-DOM-PR, Manager at Marriott San Juan Resort & Stellaris Casino, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Melissa Y

Let me start by thanking you for choosing to stay at the San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino over Thanksgiving and for trying Condado for a change over Isla Verde. As you know San Juan pretty well, I hope that you found the proximity of restaurants and nightlife all within reach of your location.

Thank you also for your candid feedback on the hotel and it's facilities. It is very much appreciated and we will share your feedback with our associates.

I am disappointed that you don't think that you will be staying with us again but the upside is that you enjoyed the Condado area and spent some time at our sister property, the Renaissance La Concha which is another of the wonderful Marriott International portfolio of properties we have on the Island of Puerto Rico.

If I can assist you in any way when you return to Puerto Rico, please let me know by contacting me at 787 289 5036 or at julian.cable-treadwell@marriotthotels.com.

North, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

I am staying here for a long weekend and have to say that this Mariott really "Rings the Bell" I have stayed at the Aruba Mariott many times and have to say that this place is top shelf. I have never met more attentive and friendly staff anywhere. The resort is in a fashionable section of San Juan SI lots of places to eat and shop within blocks. E ocean water is a little rough but the pool is great. The staff really goes out of their way to make you feel at home. This was my first trip to San Juan but I can promise I will be back to this resort.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NJArubabound
Cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed here prior to cruising. Perfect location, awesome pool, clean and friendly! I'd stay again. They served punch while we were in line! Great breakfast and coffee and good gym. Our room was a little dated but very clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Betsy612
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed here a night after our caribbean cruise. We arrived early and were offered to secure our luggage and proceed to the pool while our room was prepared. It took less than an hour for room to be ready. Beds were super soft and comfy, room spacious for 4 of us (corner unit in tower with same view as on the main picture). Pools were full of kids at daytime, but quiet at night. Beach around has waivy ocean influence, not the best beach at the island to swim, but good for walks along the shore. Plenty shops and restaurants around. At night you will hear singing frogs - like birdsongs, just beautiful!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Rockville, Maryland, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Just stayed here four nights. Ocean view room was superb. In-house restaurant was excellent. (Try the grilled Mahi-Mahi and Grouper.) Service was impeccable and the staff exceptionally friendly and willing. Location was perfect: a short taxi to Old Town and walking distance to many restaurants. Pool was fine and the beach was wonderful. But...the sea can be quite rough and the shore drops off quickly with currents that can be tricky. There is no lifeguard so while the sea can be enjoyed, one must be careful and keep a close eye on others in the water. I saw one woman struggling to get back ashore who had to get assistance to make it.

Room Tip: Take a beachfront room on a high floor if possible.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Rockvilleman
Crystal Lake, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Our family stayed here for one night prior to a cruise at the end of November in a Partial Ocean view room. Very clean room with comfortable beds and access to restaurants in Condido. The front desk was very helpful in recommending restaurants and answering questions. We checked our luggage with the bell hop while we went to El Morro and then came back and used the pool before checking into our cruise even though we had already checked out of the hotel. We asked the front desk about this and they said it was perfectly OK. They really go out of their way to make sure your stay is a good one. My son really enjoyed the pool but the waves in front of the hotel make it impossible to swim safely. We walked down the beach 100 yards to a cove to calmer waters to swim and body surf. We ate breakfast at Pinky's just 5 minutes down the street... highly recommend! Great breakfast and won't break the bank.

Room Tip: Go to Pinky's for Breakfast
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank lhdive1
Columbia,CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Great hotel in Condado. Rooms were beautiful, clean and had nice perks like bathrobes, slippers, and Bath and Body toiletries.We had 2 16th story rooms with balconies and both city and ocean views, Loved being able to walk to many restaurants and shops, easy cab or bus to Old San Juan. Great concierge service and wonderful hotel staff. Everyone is happy to help make your stay enjoyable and always smiling. Beach area is beautiful but does not get much afternoon sun because of the location. Great beach chairs and umbrellas. Nice 2-for-1 happy hour at the beach bar. Otherwise, drinks are expensive as in all of San Juan. Only had snacks (very large) at the beach bar and were very good. Nice gym with good amount of equipment. Felt comfortable having my teenage daughters walk around hotel area alone. Great hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#5 of 14 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 stars 2,560 reviews

Been to Marriott San Juan Resort & Stellaris Casino? Share your experiences!