“Worries laid to rest” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hosteria Del Mar

Save Saved
You added Hosteria Del Mar to your Saves list
Hosteria Del Mar
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1 Tapia St | Ocean Park, San Juan 00911, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #14 of 24 San Juan B&B and Inns
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
“Worries laid to rest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We booked the room about 1 1/2months before our trip, most of the reviews I read were positive, and it had an "approval rating" around 85%. Came back to check it out about a week prior and it had dropped to 60%, reviews spotted with it being in a dangerous location to the place having bed bugs. I was definitely nervous, and second guessing, but am happy I stuck with it. We had a difficult time finding it, but being our first time in PR, we had difficulty finding a lot of things until we got into the swing of it all. It is Not a 5 star resort. What I mean by this is that there may be some cracks in the tile, a crooked bedside table, and an a/c that rattles on occasion. Those things aside, it was a clean and quiet place to come back to. The employees were exceptionally friendly, and tried their best to accommodate any requests we had. The onsite restaurant was very good (we stuck to apps and drinks). The beach was nice and not overly crowded. I'm thinking some of the reviews that complained of bed bugs were actually suffering from sand fleas. We did have some issue with this, but it's a fact of nature. Apparently they come out more at night, and bug spray helps. The hotel is located in a gated community, so you are safe roaming there day/night. We did venture out at night, not a problem if you play it safe (nothing too flashy) and stay aware of your surroundings. Only disappointment was that there were areas pictured on their site that had obviously not been used in a while, outdoor beds and additional bar area that looked like it could have been fun. If you can snag a deal on a travel site (Under $90/night), this place is definitely worth it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

323 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Hosteria Del Mar is a simple (not ultra-touristy), quiet hotel directly on the beach. My boyfriend I stayed the first weekend in October and had the beach almost to yourselves. There are beach chairs provided and the hotel bar provides on beach service for drinks, which were amazing and fresh. All the staff was extremely friendly, especially Edgardo. If spending time on a quiet beach is your main focus- this is the right hotel. Better for couples than families. There is not much do in area close by the hotel so I recommend breaking up your trip to stay a few nights at the beach then a few nights in old san juan (the gallery inn), especially if you are not renting a car. For food, La B de Burro is walkable distance and very good for another option besides the restaurant in the hotel. Overall, I had a great stay at hosteria del mar and hope to return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We wre a little bit concerned about some of the less favorable reviews, but it was the deal of the century! OK, it's basic, it's not the Ritz Calton in Isla Verde, but quite frankly, Isla Verde is a bit "stepford wives" in it's location and feel. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful on arrival, always ready with tips and suggestions. The room was basic, but adequate for our needs, good a.c., daily house keeping was good. It's all about the price and the location, you are on a beautiful stretch of beach, not a road to cross, just a few wooden steps. Free sun beds and umbrellas, a nice bar, plenty of refreshments available from beach vendors with ice chests (tip: check out the octopus salad from the old lady!!). Warm clear water. La Placita (it's a must if you like good Salsa music!) in Santurce is a short cab ride, old San Juan a little further, but easily accessible. Sunday brunch in the restaurant was delicious!

Room Tip: Think how much you paid for the room before you criticise the hotel!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Great boutique guest hotel located on the beach in ocean park. I live in Las Vegas so I thought the value was fantastic. We only had to walk 40 feet from our patio door to our room to the beautiful sandy beach! Front desk clerk,server and seemed like several other hats, Christopher was amazing!!!! He made us feel welcome and was happy to help us with anything we needed. Also the manager Oscar was fabulous, warm and friendly. The other staff kinda made you feel uncomfortable at the least, not sure why, guess because we were from the mainland. The food and drinks were a bit pricey but we were on vacation! Snorkeling, bio bay kayaking, and rain forest trips could all be booked through the hotel. If they fired the butch security guard and the mean, short front desk lady and hired a couple more employees like Oscar and Christopher they could have one truly amazing little hotel. We will be back for sure so long as Christopher and Oscar still work there. Muchas Gracias my friends we had one amazing time!

• Stayed October 2013
Goldsboro, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I booked the hotel on line because the deceptive website gives the illusion that it's a classy place but the pictures were either photo shopped or from a different hotel. It was in a hard to find location in what they called a "Compound" in this awful neighborhood, you had to take your chances finding a parking spot on the street and it was made clear I wasn't welcome from the second I walked in the door. There was a group of people loitering about in the lobby while I checked in and one guy kept making an effort to be in my way every time I walked to/from my car, when I would try to speak to him he just tried to stare me down and postured as if he wanted to fight; I wondered if he was an unruly bar patron or maybe a drug dealer but I noticed later he worked there in the kitchen.

I've seen better rooms at a motel 6 then the run down filthy dump I was in, with the room literally falling apart, had a strong box that didn't lock and no hot water to top it off. The staff at the restaurant treated me as though I was bothering them by sitting down and the chicken breast and salad I ordered was awful. The lettuce looked wilted and dead and it was drowned in dressing in an effort to conceal the rotten quality. I later asked the bartender if there was a store nearby to buy food which he obviously lied and told me there was nothing around for miles and that I would be better off just eating and drinking at the (overpriced) restaurant/bar at the hotel. I soon walked around and I found a grocery store, Walgreens, liquor store, restaurants and bars all within 3 blocks of the compound but I'm glad I didn't bring a family because I was propositioned by hookers and drug dealers wherever I would go. The beach wasn't a private beach, the hotel just happened to be adjacent to a crowded public beach.

Then it gets better, I had to cut my vacation short and return to work early after three nights instead of the original 5 I booked. I informed the front desk that night where the disinterested clerk told me "That's fine then check out tomorrow". However when I tried to check out the next morning the day clerk told me she wasn't notified and that she wasn't able to check me out without a supervisor because money was secured on my credit card. I don't know why I was surprised when I checked my credit card statement online to find out I was charged for 5 nights when I only stayed 3. I called the hotel when I was told again by the clerk that she couldn't help me without a supervisor and that I would have to call back when he was working. I asked when he worked and she told me that he doesn't have a regular schedule because he's the supervisor but try back in an hour. I called back twice later in the day, the first time the phone rang with no answer for several minutes, the second time the phone rang only a few times before the call was disconnected. I've disputed the credit card bill with my bank and I'm waiting for a disposition. My advice is don't let the pictures and the beachfront location on the map fool you; If you're looking for an overpriced dump with hookers and drug dealers at your disposal then go right ahead, I wouldn't take anyone I cared about to this dump.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Tucked in the gated community Ocean Park, SJ is the intimate Hosteria Del Mar. Located directly on the beach, the hotel was perfect for our 4 day visit at a bargain price of $300. Be sure and walk around the neighborhood, safe and secure, small handsome bungalows tucked close together with elegant patios dripping with beautiful foilage and friendly locals.

We were greeted by a soothing waterfall, warm wooden floors in the small lobby adorned with Asian furnishings and warmly received by beautiful and friendly Jaydie (sp) who immediately escorted us to our interior room right down the hall. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel, this is not the place for you. Our room was clean and basic with a good air conditioner, queen bed, TV and small tile bath with shower. We did have a few cool showers during our stay, but no complaints here for use of solar and Green endeavors. Complimentary iced tea, water, coffee and fresh apples were offered in the lobby all day. The free WIFI was sketchy but a laptop in the lobby had good connection and availability.

The hotel has a small resturant and bar Bellini Beach with open air indoor dining or outdoors on the deck overlooking the beach and ocean. They do have a daily happy hour from 4-6 with half priced beer, even though the choices were limited. The waiters were sometimes inattentive, but business was slow, and they were all cheerful and very informative on local places of interest. Prices at Bellini were on the higher end, but the burgers are huge and the crab cakes are to die for! They do offer a champagne brunch on the week-end for $19, unfortunately our schedule did not allow us to give it a try.

There are several local markets, Walgreens and Kasalta bakery (which I highly recommend) within a few blocks. Also, the public transportation buses are right in front of Walgreens and will take you to and from old San Juan (bus 5) for 75 cents.

We had an amazing stay at Hosteria Del Mar! Relaxing and simple, steps to the beach and friendly people, both guests and employees. What's not to like...would highly recommend!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed in this small and unique hotel and I have to say what a wonderful place it was! Loved the bohemian plus beach environment there. The people there will make you feel right at home. At night the setting of the restaurant îs very romantic and the food exquisite. I came with my wife and we had such an amazing time.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Hosteria Del Mar? Share your experiences!