“Tricks - unfair cancellation policy” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hosteria Del Mar

Save Saved
You added Hosteria Del Mar to your Saves list
Hosteria Del Mar
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1 Tapia St | Ocean Park, San Juan 00911, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #14 of 24 San Juan B&B and Inns
Midwest City, Oklahoma
“Tricks - unfair cancellation policy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I called Hosteria Del Mar and made a room reservation. At the time of the call, the owner of the hotel told me that if I needed to cancel the reservation, it needed to be canceled 14 days before the date of arrival or I would be charged a $25 cancelation fee. My travel plans changed and I needed to cancel the room an entire month before I was scheduled to arrive. I was told then that I would be charged a $25 fee just for canceling. They indicated that I can find the cancelation policy on-line, but I would have had to have made the reservation via the web site to see it. This hotel is fleecing customers, lies about its cancelation policies, and then claims that it should have been seen online, which it is not there unless you book a room online. I travel to PR frequently and will need a place to stay regularly - several times a year. Hosteria Del Mar certainly will not be one of those places, with its tricky policies, and generally poor management. If I were you, I'd think twice about this place, which is apparently so hard up for money it makes people who aren't staying there pay-up. I've traveled to many countries, over the last 15 years and this is a first --- paying $25 for canceling 1 month in advance. Amazing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

321 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

the hotel is somewhat run down but the management is doing some upgrade and the staff was very friendly.Our first unit was clean but shabby. On our second stay we had a large, clean and upgraded room in the back quite comfortable but right beside the generator and noisier. The restaurant is open from 11.00 on and the food was excellent. The beach is right at the door step and goes on for miles. It is a residential area not many restaurant around but a very good bakery close by,perfect for breakfast.
It was a good place for our first and last day of our stay in Puerto Rico and not far from the airport

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Ugh. Hosteria is such a mixed bag. The pros: an outward appearance of bungalow cool with breathtaking northern Atlantic views and within-steps beach access. But we rented the budget room, street facing, and the problems started: shabby room with rusted, hardware-store fixtures, worn bedsheets that barely fit the bed, a no hangers or bathroom shelves, a yellowed toilet seat with rusted bolts, and the deal breaker, hair from the prior guest in the shower. What you'd expect for VERY bargain travel.  Good news: newer fully operational air conditioning and refinished shower. Though staff was everywhere, most were aloof and busy tending to things other than guests. The weekends fill the beach with upscale, young Puerto Ricans who order drinks from the seaside bar, probably the place's primary revenue source. So the math doesn't add up:  always expecting something bungalow chic, but getting a run-down one star situation. Very glad we didn't pay rack rate.

If you're a beach junkie and can see beyond the grime, do it. But don't expect Phillipe Stark by the sea.  We moved to the Radisson and had our drinks.

Room Tip: Our review is based on street facing single. Not sure I'd risk $200 to see if the conditions imp...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Coral Springs, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The entire website photograph's are a fraud. This hotel is old, run down and nobody is in control. No HOT WATER as we were told due to the fact that the day before was kinda cloudy. I have never seen filth like this before in any hotel establishment.
The best part was leaving!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The only good thing about this hotel is the amazing ocean view. The hotel facilities are very dilapidated, the staff was ineffective, and the rooms lacked the very basic things such as hand/face soap and hangers.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here for two nights after getting married in Aguadilla. I really thought this place was great. I had booked a garden view room to save a little money and upon checking in, they upgraded us to the Honeymoon Suite. Edgar was the man who helped us check in and he was awesome- so very considerate and hospitable.

The main area/lobby/beach area of the hotel are exactly as you see in the pictures- the ambiance is upscale and trendy.

I was initially very impressed with our room- it was a two room suite with an ocean view balcony. The view of the ocean from the room really doesn't get much better than that! The beds were very comfortable and at first glance, everything seemed orderly and clean.

Now, I took my shoes off and walked around and had the same experience in another beach boutique hotel in the area- the rooms have the tile floors so they can clean up the sand... for some reason, the floors were filthy. I did just as I did at the other hotel and just wore my shoes around the place. Really no big deal.

What the others say about the hot water is true- the hot water is solar powered, so you have to turn it on and wait for it to warm up. Obviously, hot water will be more available during the evening once the sun has been able to charge it all day. When I showered in the morning, the water was luke warm at best and the pressure was not that great. It wasn't a big deal though because it was so warm and beautiful outside and it worked just fine.

The hotel is in a gated community and in one of the nicest areas in San Juan (Candado Beach). We really felt completely safe in the neighborhood.

Food at the restaurant was decent, but it was a little pricey.

Here's the thing- this is a Boutique Beach hotel.... it is not the Four Seasons. Do not go there and expect it to be the Four Seasons. Sure, they could make some improvements but the over all experience was great. If you have an open mind and remember that you are on island time and try not to sweat the small things, your stay will be great. It just depends on your own expectations and tolerance.

I would stay here again.

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The location of the hotel was probably the best aspect about this hotel. It's located right on the beach so you can wake up and sit in the sun for the rest of the morning. The staff was very nice but I believe sometime during our trip, my friend realized that her suitcase was tampered with. I don't believe anything was lost but when she told the front desk, they said that they will make sure that nothing else happens.

Breakfast is served daily and it is very good! Think eggs, home fries, bacon, and passion fruit juice! Delicious!! The hotel restaurant was a little overpriced but we ended up spending one night eating at the hotel since it seemed very appealing. The food was good.

I also think they just raised their rates recently.. still a good value though.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hosteria Del Mar? Share your experiences!