“Pleased with the help” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hosteria Del Mar

Save Saved
You added Hosteria Del Mar to your Saves list
Hosteria Del Mar
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1 Tapia St | Ocean Park, San Juan 00911, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #14 of 24 San Juan B&B and Inns
Seattle, WA
“Pleased with the help”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My girlfriend's and I stayed there for 3 nights. The bed was very comfortable and Edgar, Christopher and Demis were very good about taking care of what we needed. We did not
eat there but had the continental breakfast-we heard the food is very expensive but good.
The hotel does need to purchase another coffee pot - there aren't any in the rooms. There was a problem with hot water but they turned the emergency generator on. Our room was right off the patio next to the bar and we only needed to go down about 5 steps to the beach.

Room Tip: We were in Room #1. We were enjoying happy hour so wouldn't know about the noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

321 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

This was our second time to stay at the Hosteria. My husband loved it during our first stay because it was right at the beach and it was in gated community.

This time around he did not like it because it did not have enough hot water and the room needed a lor of repairs. Electical sockets were not working, cable tv always cutting out ( we were there at the height of hurricane Sandy) and doors were always jammed.

One redeeming factor is its helpful staff.

• Stayed October 2012
Laurel, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

There was good and bad...

Good:
- Amazing location right on the beach
- Safe Ocean Park neighborhood w/ police presence
- Cute Zen theme
- AC
- Beautiful ocean view from balcony
- Room was clean and smelled amazing
- Bed was very comfortable
- Front desk clerk was nice and helped me carry my bags up to my room
- No parking but there's some street parking close enough

Bad:
- No elevator, sucked lugging bags up and down the stairs
- Check out time was early at 11AM and they do not let you have late check-out as courtesy like most hotels do
- Bathroom was nice but shower curtain rod was cheap and kept falling so entire bathroom got wet and messy when showering
- Could not open the balcony door to enjoy the beautiful ocean view
- No bar of soap or handsoap in bathrooms and not enough towels
- "mini bar" in hotel room with overpriced water and candy annoyed me. REALLY?
- Main door closes at 12PM so it's like you have to be back at a certain time to get back in. I don't need a curfew while on vacation
- No beach chairs like shown in the pictures, which really disappointed me

Overall it was okay. Don't know if I'd return but it did the job for one night. Would have been a LOT better if I could have stayed an extra hour or so before my flight.

Room Tip: Ocean view is amazing!! Must-have
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
San Juan, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Located by the beach, but sorry, this is not the greatest place to stay. Nice view, but it is a pretty run down place, small rooms, old furniture. Service is not good, food is okay but expensive, so skip it. I do not recommend to stay at this place, it does need cleaning. During the weekend is crowded and loud. Again, I do not recommend this place.

Room Tip: If you dare stay here, check the location of the room, back rooms are terrible,
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Hotel is located in a gated community w in a poor neighborhood so forget about walking around. Parking on the weekend is nearly impossible so you can valet for an additional fee. We checked into our lower level “OCEAN VIEW” room, which is basically a small room w a screened door that leads to the restaurant patio. We immediately closed the curtains to our “OCEAN VIEW” as there was a table next to the door & they were staring into our room. We also noticed the strong bleach smell. Not clean, just BLEACH. I had to air out the room to let some of the smell out & thus, let all the mosquitoes in the room which we later had to fumigate w more chemicals. After our 3 day stay my room STILL stunk of bleach. Im sure this is a health hazard. I also immediately noticed my feet were VERY dirty & I had only taken a couple of steps in the room, not sure if the maid just didn’t bother w the floors but they were very sandy & dirty. As I was cleaning them out, I noticed there was NO water pressure in the shower. I ran the hot shower for about 20 minutes & no water was coming out & the water pressure was not nearly enough to even wash my feet. I tried to call the front desk & then noticed, THERE IS NO PHONE IN THE ROOM! I had put my clothes back on & head to the reception area to get some assistance. 30 min later, they sent a guy that works in the kitchen who told me that the water looked fine & to take a shower w the room temperature water because the plumber lived 1hr away & he wasn’t coming back to help. we headed to our “private beach” only to realize that all the locals go to that beach & there is nowhere for you to lay peacefully, just a bunch of rowdy people drinking beer. We had lunch at the hotel restaurant which was really overpriced, about $30 for a lunch entrée I figured this better be good! The service was slow &the food was mediocre. Later that night, there was a high school reunion being held outside my window which went on until about 12:30AM I was too lazy to walk all the way to the reception to complain I fell asleep w some ear plugs! Next day, it was a wedding! Beach was packed as usual & on top of that they had an 100+ wedding! Celebration went on til past 1AM, guests were drunk, slamming doors, & of course the group of people that always gather by my window to drunk SCREAM! The receptionist simply told me to speak to the manager the next day because they had authorized the wedding. At checkout, they also surprised me w a$75 a night dog fee which they never informed me of, YES, they say they are dog friendly & by that they mean they will charge you $75 a night for your 3lb yorkie! This hotel has NO regard for the comfort of their guests & feels more like a HOSTAL than a HOTEL. I would NOT recommend this hotel if you are looking for a nice clean place to get a good night’s rest.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

as most of the reviews have mentioned, the hotel itself was located ocean front and had an amazing view of the beach. i have stayed in many hotels in very different places so ive had my share of bad experiences but this is by far the worst. its a beautiful hotel with motel styled service. no one greets you where you are and you have to wait long periods of time before you even see a single hotel employee. in the rooms, the faucets for the showers were rusted and barely worked and the outdoor area was always soggy and had a lot of brown and green algae on the floors. it smelled pretty bad upon walking by the hotel because i believe the trash was out front. the eco friendly aspect of the hotel i agreed with but shutting down the water is a but much. i understand that its not a typical american hotel, but for the money you're spending, you cant help but expect more for what you're paying. they should have more variety in food and have much better customer service, i definitely DON'T recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Mayaguez
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

For a ~$139 - $179 plus tax price tag, my expectations are set at the level you would set an average 4-star hotel.

With that said, the service in this establishment was extremely below standard, and I checked out a day before planned- I just could not bear paying this kind of money for the service we were receiving in return. Here are the most dissapointing points from my stay:

(1) Had to stand up 5 times to obtain a beach umbrella. Each time I was redirected to a different person which stated "you have to ask at front desk" or "you have to ask that individual over there" or "I am not the person in charge of that" or "I am too busy now, when I finish a couple of things Ill get with you if I can".
(2) Incredibly unfriendly staff. My wife and I usually got cold/unfriendly stares. When eating, instead of a "good afternoon", we were received by the waiter/waitress with a "Tell me" without a smile or friendly stare; like if we were in some kind of run-down diner.
(3) Had to wait ~10 minutes to receive service at the restaurant. Had to stand up, and walk to the beach bar at least 4 times to get service.
(4) Identity crisis: is this a guest house or a hotel? It seems like a hotel due to prices and facilities; but the service is extremely bad.
(5) Many times, when walking to the front desk, the clerk was on the phone in a (what I could tell) personal call. Made me wait long before attending my needs.
(6) They expect you to throw toilet paper on the trash can. That is absolutely disgusting.
(7) Water facilities were shut down twice. I heard it was due to internal infrastructure. Had to wash my hands and teeth utilizing melted ice from the day before...

Here are other less important reasons we did not enjoy our stay:

(1) No parking facilities. Valet parking was disabled when my wife and I arrived.
(2) Generally, room set-up/decoration did not live up to the cosmetics/aesthetics they show in the website.
(3) Locks were a pain to open and close, in both the front door and balcony door.
(4) No small table in the balcony. Chair in the balcony was deteriorating and falling apart. I've got a safe box; but no key.
(5) TV control remote did not work well. Had to press buttons ~4 times before it worked.
(6) Small radio set in room was deteriorating with oxidation. Disgusting.
(7) Phone in room had absolutely no tone; it felt dirty.
(8) No access to ice machine. No empty glasses in room. Had to order from the front desk thrice. That third time I was told that I had to go downstairs and pick it up. The person changed their mind and decided that it was OK to bring it up.
(9) At checkout, I had to wait ~7 minutes for a clerk to arrive. I was going to be charged for 3 nights, when in fact I only stayed 2 nights. I feel that if I hadn't noticed, I would've been charged more.

Here are the things we enjoyed of the visit:

(1) The beach.
(2) The food, when served, was top-notch excellent. Very well presented and delicious.
(3) Room Cleaning service.

Conclusion:

I am not staying at this hotel/guest-house again. Too expensive for the service you get in return. You're better off staying at a Condado Hotel or other Ocean Park establishments, and walking to the beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hosteria Del Mar? Share your experiences!