“Charming and beautifully located” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel El Convento

You added Hotel El Convento to your Saves list
Hotel El Convento
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Cristo St | Old San Juan, San Juan 00901, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Charming and beautifully located”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This historical hotel is everything you would wish for with respect to romance or business. It is well located so that you can go to any of the tourist, food, or shopping locations within the old city. Its staff and service was friendlt and always helpful, the wine and cheese reception each evening was delightful, and the fish tacos in the restaurant the best ever.

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Our great experience started at the moment we entered the Hotel. I cannot say enough about the staff at El Convento. I am mentioning the names of staff who out did themselves during our stay, but want to thank all the employees at El Convento who were just as great.

George, took our bags and directed us to the front desk. First impressions are always lasting and we were very impressed by his welcoming attitude along with being very gracious. Our check in experience was equally as pleasant.

Our room was absolutely perfect. I travel a lot and have opened many a room door only to turn around and ask for another room. This was not the case. The room was spotless and very well appointed. Everything was perfect. (202)

Dining was another great experience. Luis was always around to make sure everything was to our liking. The food was top notch and again there was nothing to remotely complain about. Our dinners were made memorable by Matthew. Not only is he a great server, he is a great person. We enjoyed talking and laughing with him and finding out about how he came to live in Puerto Rico. Amazing person with a great sense of humor.... I will be working on a drink in honor of Matthew (The "OH Matthew" drink). A personal “thank you” to Matthew who made our dinners fun and enjoyable.

The staff at the front desk were incredible. They arranged our dinner reservations, spa visit and Rain Forest tour. When I was concerned about getting sun burned at the beach, they offered to make alternate plans.

As you can guess, I will be going back to the El Convento. I loved every minute I stayed in the hotel and give the staff Six Stars******

Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed here for 3 nights for our honeymoon and it was such a lovely experience. The staff are super friendly and I love the decor and old style look of it. The rooms are very spacious and clean. They had a wine and cheese reception everyday from 6-7pm which was a nice treat for the guests. I didn't get a chance to use the pool but it looked great. We did have breakfast one day in the restaurant and it was good but nothing spectacular. I don't think I am giving the restaurant a fair chance because we only dined there once for breakfast. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel for couples; it's a very quiet hotel, which I liked and it's in the middle of old san juan so you can walk everywhere and feel safe.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We were pleasantly surprised at the Hotel El Convento. We stayed at a couple other hotels during our stay in OSJ, but the El Convento was the best.

It's centrally located in OSJ and is in walking distance to everything. We happened to walk up and get a room. To our surprise, we were able to get a room at a very discounted rate because they were trying to fill the rooms.

They also have a nice complimentary happy hour upstairs where they serve fruit & cheese platters with wine! Can't beat that.

I highly recommend this place and would stay there again!

(P.S. - We stayed there in February of 2013, but this review doesn't allow me to go back that far.)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Let me start with the positive: the hotel is superbly located in the center of old San Juan so you can conveniently walk to many of the attractions. While the rooms are on the small side, they are nicely decorated. The atrium is a nice spot in the middle of the hotel. The staff seems in general to try hard but there were some things that did not work for me.

Here are some problems I encountered:
1) the hotel daily rate: we were quoted one rate but no one told us that on top of that rate, they would add a $45 "hotel tariff" which covered such things as internet and free water. I think a hotel should operate on the premise of total transparency up front in hotel charges -- I was rather irritated that I did not know about this daily $45 hotel surcharge so be mindful of that when you are quoted a rate whether that surcharge is included or not (most likely it's not included and will appear at the end). I don't think a guest should ever be surprised by a fee at the end that has not been explained up front.
2) booking tours through the hotel: I guess I'd say 'buyer beware." the hotel recommended and booked a day trip for me to the El Yunque rain forest and to an eco bay, using the tour company BESPOKE. The price the hotel quoted was $150. I had several logistical and pricing issues: The tour guide said the price was $155. I gave him a debit card and added a 20% tip. The total amount came to $203. I asked him: how did it get to be that much? His answer: there was an additional fee ($23!!) because I used a credit card (and actually it was a debit not a credit card). I thought that was an outrageous fee so he then said I could pay cash if I preferred -- I had the cash and that's what I did. The hotel later told me I could have added the tour charge to my room but they never told me that at the beginning -- nor did the tour guide offer that as an option. There were two different tour companies involved -- not something the hotel explained to me in advance. I assumed (wrongly) that the tip was for the entire day, both tours. It was only for the morning El Yunque tour -- I needed to tip again for the eco bay tour, something I did not understand in advance. The most egregious problem happened at the end of the eco bay tour when I inquired where my transportation was back to the hotel. I left the hotel at 10:30am and by now it was 8:30pm so I was tired. After some back-and-forth, they located a driver who proceeded to tell me that I needed to wait an additional hour before he could leave because he had to wait for other passengers. I told him I was tired and didn't want to wait. As a result, I then got shifted to a shared van which was only a 20 min. wait instead of 1 hr. However the van dropped me off about 1.5 miles from the hotel because the driver said she could not drive down the narrow streets. By now it was 10pm, dark, and I was not entirely sure how to walk back to the hotel. I was not happy. I discussed all these problems with Melody, guest services at El Convento, and told her that the hotel needed to be accountable for these problems if they were going to recommend and organize a tour. I did not find Melody to be very responsive. She said she'd talk to the company and get back to me -- I waited all day for her to do that. She never got back to me, and so finally I had to seek her out. I was not at all satisfied with her responses. She asked me what compensation I'd like -- I told her I shouldn't have to answer that, the hotel should offer me something. She reluctantly said: here's a free breakfast coupon which I thought was rather lame compensation. So if you book a tour through the hotel, please be aware of some of the logistical/pricing problems I have so that they are not repeated. Go over the arrangements very carefully with the hotel in advance so that you do not have any surprises.

Let me mention one additional thing: breakfast is pricey and moreover, the offerings are simply not worth the money so I don't recommend breakfast. My daughter had French toast and mused: how could they not do a good job with that? But they did not.

I will not deny that the hotel has many charms and is wonderfully located. But I also honestly needed to provide feedback about some of the issues I had.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 304: the advantage of that room is that it's right next to the area where the...