“Wonderful, historic hotel, but.....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel El Convento

Save Saved
You added Hotel El Convento to your Saves list
Hotel El Convento
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Cristo St | Old San Juan, San Juan 00901, Puerto Rico   |
Announcement
Book Direct and Save!
Ranked #2 of 44 hotels in San Juan
California
“Wonderful, historic hotel, but.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

The hotel is lovely and has been kept up exceptionally well, but we were unlucky to get one of their smaller rooms on the 2nd floor. The hotel was very full and even though it was supposed to be rated a queen deluxe, I saw a queen deluxe on the 4th floor that looked much nicer. However, in general, we were happy. I think they need to upgrade the quality of their restaurant. We had dinner there one night, breakfast each day and lunch one day. The food was mediocre at best. However, they do have a very nice wine and cheese hour each evening up on the rooftop patio, with quite a good selection wine, so that was a real plus. I do think its the best hotel for location - we loved being in Old San Juan.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
EROSA, Food and Beverage Director at Hotel El Convento, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Mr. or Mrs. YTC50.

Allow me to introduce myself to you as the Director of Food and Beverage at Hotel el Convento. I want to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your feedback in regards to your experience in our restaurants. I am very sorry to hear that we didn’t meet your expectations regarding the quality of our food. I seriously take our guest’s outcome in consideration and do my best to gather as much information as possible in order to improve our product. I will be very grateful if you may call or e-mail me at your earliest convenience and share your suggestions so we may take action and continue improving the service provided to our customers. My direct line is 787-723-9003 and my e-mail address is ralvarez@elconvento.com . If you wish, you may also send me an e-mail with your phone number and let me know when would be a good time for you to receive my call and I will plan accordingly.

I look forward to hearing from you soon

Warm regards,

ralvarez@elconvento.com
T. 787-723-9020 ext.339
F. 787-723-0754

1,549 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Situated in the Old San Guan El Convento is ideally placed to explore the old San Guan.Admittedly, a little price at $450 a night, we stayed there prior to joining a Royal Caribbean Cruise. The Hotel is a converted Convent and one has to accept that rooms/bathrooms will not be big, although it is well appointed. The service is excellent and you could regard it as a boutique/family hotel that is stepped in history: Indeed it is a city landmark and a recognised historic site. It overlooks the cathedral and could not be better positioned for exploring the old city. It has the usual pool, deck and (rather surprisingly a laundry-great for cleaning clothes on a long trip). The food is Ok but not great: There are great restaurants close by so that's not a grat problem. All in all a great place to stay a few days in San Guan!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Elmira, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I led a group of 24 university students studying the Caribbean on a tall ship. At the conclusion of the class, we spent 2 nights experiencing Viejo San Juan by staying at El Convento. Few boutique hotels could accomodate such a group in the professional manner that El Convento showed us. Nothing could have been better: a room for our meeting, special attention, great food and personized treatment at every turn. Its an easy thing for a hotel to blow off a group of traveling college students. But not these people - they are true professionals. I'll take my classes back here any time.

Oh, and I know you are wondering: did my group disturb the other guests? Certainly not - we follow the Italian rule of "fare una bella figura" at all times, something traveling Americans should also do at all times. The students discovered the joys of salsa and paella and la isla encantada outside the walls of this special place on the cobble stone streets of Old San Juan ( did you know that they were laid down by the early colonists, using ballast from the incoming Spanish treasure ships?)

Recommendation: watch those monster cruise ships come and go from the pool deck at the hotel. And then go have a mojito under the ancient branches of the nespero tree (read: lowquat tree) in the hotel's atrium.

Prof. Joe

Room Tip: Ask for a room high up on the west side and watch the ships entering and leaving San Juan harbor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Frederick, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

This place deserves its number 1 rating.
True, it is very expensive at $450 per night. However, paying a little extra for a few days is worth it.
The location in Old San Juan, gets you a five minute walk from El Morro and the crashing breakers of the north coast.
You are centrally located in the coolest walking, observing, and shopping area I have ever visited. There are restaurants galore within a 5 minute walk.
The hotel is built like a classic beautiful Spanish hacienda, with a large, open court in the center, replete with birds, tropical vegetation, and open sky above. Breakfast in the court is a memorable experience, to be sure. Rooms rise for 5 stories above the open court.
Rooms are comfortable, with great towels, robes, and a very comfortable shower. They have marble floors as do the bathrooms.
Spend time lounging on the top floor hot tub/pool, and make sure not to miss the daily 6pm complimentary wine, cheese, and crackerfest!
They are very attentive to your every need, from the sumptuous towels at the hot tub, to their answering each call to the front desk by addressing you by name.
Do yourself a favor. Spend your money and allow yourself to be enveloped by the relaxing ambiance.

Stayed January 2013
Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel Dec. 27th and 28th, 2012, prior to embarking on a cruise. We arrived at the hotel at approx. 2:30 from the airport and we were told that we could not check in until 4:00 p.m. as the room was not ready. The only place to change was a bathroom stall (which was a little awkward at best). They did take our luggage and secure it, which helped as we passed the time walking around the area. The hotel itself is lovely and there are positives and negatives. The positive is the wine and cheese reception in the evening (6:00 p.m.) is lovely - we really enjoyed that. The negative is in the restaurant. When we were waiting for check in we went to the bar and ordered drinks - $10.00 for a cocktail and $9.00 for a beer was a little steep. We had reservations for that evening in the restaurant and the service was terrible. We stood at the entrance for at least 10 - 15 minutes and no one even came to greet us. I finally had to go the the front desk and ask to speak to a manager. She, in turn, accompanied us back to the dining room and then she disappeared for another 5 minutes before she returned with the Food and Beverage Manager. He informed us that he was short staffed and he was in the back "doing paperwork". Maybe it's just me, but I would think that if you are short staffed and you are in charge of the restaurant that just maybe you should assume some duties and pitch in(?) Anyway, the food was fine and the rest of the stay was good. The really nice thing about this hotel is the location - right in the heart of old San Juan. A little tip - while out walking we discovered the best Mexican Restaurant I have ever eaten at - it was fabulous!! It is called Restaurante La Madre and it is located at 351 Call San Francisco (within walking distance to the hotel). Best crab cakes ever and everything (food and drinks) are so fresh. It was delightful!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Hotel El Convento is located in the heart of all the action in old San Juan. Walking distance to Historic sites,shopping and great restaurants. If taking a cruise ship a 5 minute Taxi ride.
The rooms are spacious with an old world charm. Great free wine and cheese at 6pm every evening.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor are near the open coffee/tea bar.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel is beautiful and in a great location in the heart of old San Juan. Made it very easy to do a day-long walking tour of all the major sites. The wine and cheese reception is a nice and relaxing way to wind down the day. Weekend brunch was delicious. Room service food was solid. The on site tapas restaurant and pizzeria are both very good. The service in all espects of the hotel was great. The rooms are clean and nicely furnished. Our tv was a little tempermental, but that wasn't really an issue.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel El Convento? Share your experiences!