“4 Days in Puerto Rico” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel El Convento

Save Saved
You added Hotel El Convento to your Saves list
Hotel El Convento
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Cristo St | Old San Juan, San Juan 00901, Puerto Rico   |
Announcement
Book Direct and Save!
Ranked #2 of 46 hotels in San Juan
“4 Days in Puerto Rico”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We arrived on a Sunday and were unable to check in to 3p.m. as noted on reservation. Had a few drinks in the lounge area until room was ready. Stayed on 4th floor with a view of the harbor and beautiful breeze in the evening. The hotel was everything we were looking for, Old world charm, great staff, and a perfect location to see old San Juan. The staff were very friendly and accomodating to every need. Management was friendly too. Would recommend this hotel to all.

Room Tip: 4th floor provided view and good breeze.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

1,639 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Caribbean Key, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Having stayed at the Hotel Bauer in Venice and at L'Hermitage du Roux in Cannes, I know what a fine hotel really is. And El Convento in San Juan is one of the best hotels in the world, in my opinion. The building is hundreds of years old, and it used to be a convent for the beautiful cathedral across the street. Don't forget to visit the lovely, stately cathedral. Also, be sure to check out the Panama hat store, just one block south of El Convento. The restaurants and attractions in the surrounding Old San Juan area are outstanding. The Bahia casino USED to be good, but now is terrible, so avoid the casino. Our room on the fifth floor was superb. The doors are so thick and ancient that they close with a CRASH. The walls are very thick and they hold in the coolness and keep out the noise. By just going up one floor in the elevator, we found our (nearly) private pool and hot tub, all refreshing and with a spectacular view of the city, by night or day. Don't miss the fabulous breakfast in the semi-outdoor atrium; the pecan pancakes are AWESOME. The staff was very accommodating and explained everything that we needed to know about our stay in San Juan. A stay at this stately hotel is SO rewarding and is downright romantic. I am a stern judge of hotels, but El Convento has it ALL. The place is not cheap by any means, but it delivers on what you pay for. We brought along our little kitty, and we got no guff about her.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the quieter the room. Try to get a room with windows that do NOT face westward...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
vieques
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

This review is way overdue. My family and I have stayed here numerous times, the last time was Sepember 2011. The El Covento has never disappointed. The location, decor, ambience - you name it, is wonderful. We love visiting Old San Juan with it's good food and fun atmosphere - favorite people watching place is Bombonera, also like El Jibarito and Cafe Puerto Rico, not so fond of the newer, slick restaurants with squiggles all over the plate and not enough food.
The Convento IS Old San Juan for us!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We returned to El Convento for a one night cruise stay in March. This was our second time to stay here. The first was about 4 years ago.

If you are expecting spacious, upscale mega-hotel rooms - you will be disappointed. When you walk into this hotel, you truly step back into time. We enjoyed a queen room. The bed and linens are all white and very soothing. There is TV, a Bose radio and lovely toiletries in the bathrooms. The rooms are very small, and everything is very old style wood. After all - it was a convent!

But what really stands out to me about El Convento is the service. From check-in to restaurant and bar staff... everyone is so friendly. In the evenings, El Convento offers a free wine and cheese tasting on their balcony. It was wonderful to sit there and talk about the day, and meet others. We ate dinner at El Picoteo, enjoying a selection of tapas. This particular location overlooks the courtyard the hotel is built around.

The location can not be beat. In the heart of Old San Juan, you can walk to the Old San Juan gate and the walkway that winds over to the Fort... to all of the shops (can't make a trip to San Juan without stopping at the Coach store!)... and of course fabulous restaurants.

I know that El Convento is a little pricey compared to some of the chain hotels that you can usually get pretty good deals at through Priceline and other discount sites. But we never miss a chance to stay here. We will definitely go back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Leesburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I researched this hotel on trip advisor a great deal before deciding to stay during a recent 5 day visit. I must say that it was a great stay. First, it's location is wonderful as it is situated in a nice part of Old San Juan. The hotel has a very nice Old World feel to it and per it's history you will note why. There are lots of shops and other amenities (grocery store, drug store, souvenir shops, etc) in the immediate area to meet most vacationers expectations. My room was very nice and were right on target according to the pic posted by both user and hotel alike. The only drawback was the view. My room was situated on the 4th floor and I had a room that overlooked other local rooftops thus I kept my window closed (blinds pulled for most of my stay) as I spent much of my time outside of the room. The other positives were the tile floors (nice) , free WIFI, free water (as much as you can drink), and daily wine taste. Also, during mid day, there was a very nice breeze that flowed through the establishment. My routine was to sit out with a nice cigar and drink during this time. The other positive is that this hotel seemed to be a couples driven place thus there were not many kids running around. It maintains a very rustic adult/mature/romantic feel and it is well suited for those who are not into resort (but rather boutique) living. During the evening, one can witness a great view (Governors Mansion and Bay Skyline) from the lounging area (pool) on the 4th floor. Also, the staff was excellent from the front desk to those servicing my room. I will add that the onsite bar makes great sangria! There is a small restaurant directly across from the hotel which serves great local cuisine and another that makes great pizza and buffalo wings (warning....order the hot sauce on the side..trust me). If you are a cigar aficionado, check out The Cigar House as there is none better in terms of quality and atmosphere. Again, a great stay. I definitely would have given it 5 stars if the room view was better. Many thanks to a wonderful staff fro making my stay a great one!

Room Tip: Order ahead (try for a higher floor) as I was alone and was almost put into a room with twin beds in...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Townshend, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed at El Convento last week for 4 nights. We arrived at about 2:30 PM and our room was ready. Before leaving home I had requested a room on a higher floor in a quiet area and that is exactly what we received; room 504. Upon entering our room I was initially a little disappointed as I did not realize that only the rooms on the first two floors had the high beamed ceilings. However, it didn't take long to realize that this room was just fine; spotlessly clean with two double beds which were very comfortable. The linens and towels were of a high quality and the bathroom although small had everything needed. There was plenty of closet space as well as a safe and refrigerator. The A/C struggled somewhat to keep the room cool but the weather was quite hot and humid. We kept the shutters closed and this helped. The room overlooked the pool terrace and had a partial water view.
We enjoyed all the amenities of the hotel; exercise room, pool, managers reception, etc. but the real highlight of this hotel is its wonderful staff. Every employee at the front desk had a smile and was more than willing to help in any way they could. I'd like to mention two bellmen, Carlos and Ivan who were so friendly and helpful with restaurant suggestions, etc.
I came upon a disturbing situation at the pool which was handled in a calm manner by two staff members. Being a nurse I stayed around to see if I could help in any way. This incident could have ended very badly had it not been for the professionalism of these employees.
One day we were just wandering around the hotel and the gentleman at the Patio restaurant took the time to tell us about the history of the hotel and show us all the old photographs. That is when I learned that the top 3 floors were added at a much later date and hence the lower ceilings.
Our flight home was not until 7PM but the hotel stored our bags and allowed us to keep a key so that we could change up on the third floor before leaving for the airport.
As stated by many others, the architecture and location of El Convento are wonderful but it is the staff that truly made our vacation special. Thank you to all!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Carrboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I stayed here on recommendation from my boss who used to live in Puerto Rico and it was a great recommendation! This hotel is gorgeous and such a lovely stay. The people are very friendly and are there to help with whatever you like. The rooms, the pool, the restaurants, really the whole building, are just lovely. Being right downtown old San Juan, the location was perfect! If you drive in, you can park your car across the street for as long as you need for only $21. The cost of the room also includes a daily wine and cheese tasting as well as free tea, coffee and soft drinks. If you can, stay during the week, as a Thursday night stay was about $100 cheaper than a Friday night stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel El Convento? Share your experiences!