“Beautiful but expensive & inconvenient location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
4th Night Free & Credit
Ranked #14 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
McKinney, Texas
“Beautiful but expensive & inconvenient location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We decided to stay here for one night before catching a cruise from the Pan American pier the next day. The rooms are large, the beds are comfortable and the wifi works. Parts of the grounds are amazingly beautiful (the fourth floor infiinity pool at night is breathtaking and the lobby is gorgeous) and parts of the grounds are incredibly ugly (the front of the hotel is a deserted construction lot complete with trash). The hotel is close to the pier, but you cant walk (the road way has been intentionally designed to prevent pedestrians) and the cab fare to the pier is advertised as $15 but is actually $25 after surcharges, for less than a mile. Breakfast is not included in high room rates, the restaurant is shockingly expenisve and there is nowhere within walking distance to eat -- so think carefully about your plans. The hotel itself is lovely and everything in the rooms is very nice - but the location is NOT convenient, and overall you end up paying the same for cabs as you would if you stayed in Old San Juan, which has genuine atmosphere for the same price. Nice hotel, bad location. If they someday offer a reduced rate shuttle to get you to the pier, this will be worth it. Otherwise, save your money and stay in Old SJ where you can eat, drink and still only pay $20 for a cab to the pier.

Room Tip: Fourth floor has the infinity pool. Go sit out here at night and see the city lights- beautiful!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Michel-Notten, Manager at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Tami_Sutcliffe, Thank you for your genuine feedback and comments. We are happy you enjoyed our modern facilities including the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper, our colorfull and nicely decorated guest rooms and the infinity pool on our 4th floor sun deck. We have looked for options in regards to shuttle transportation to assist our guests, but unfortunately no hotel in the San Juan metropolitan area can't provide this due to local law regulations. We are always looking for ways to improve and make our guest feel as comfortable as possible. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope we can welcome you back to the island of Puerto Rico in the future. Warm Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here twice because it has been booked through hotwire. The place is safe, clean and kind of an upgrade to usual hotels. The casino is open 24/7. The rooms are clean and nice and the views are great. One of the rooms i stayed in had a view of The city of San juan. The pool area is the best. They have a bar where they serve food and drinks. The pool is on the fourth floor and when you are in it, you can see the city. There is a a fun area for babies and a hot tub. The only problem is the location. You musy have a car in order to go places. Other than that it is great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear IvonneOrlando, Thank you for your review and choosing the Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel and Casino! We are so glad you were able to enjoy the pool deck and the magnificent views over the bay of Old San Juan. Did you know that public transportation departs in front of our hotel to both Old San Juan and the Condado area? Our Concierge next to the front desk has little cards that include information about bus routes, numbers etc. We look forward to serving you again in the near future!
Pasadena, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Unfortunately, this hotel is quite a walking distance from Old San Juan and Condado. Your restaurant choices are limited since they're are only four restaurants on this property. I had some issues with my room and wanted to speak to the manager, after playing games with some of the staff, I asked who the general manager was. The staff wouldn't give me his/her name and said that they would transfer me to their line. I was transferred and disconnected. If you get room service, the tip is already included as it is disguised as the room service charge. i got room service three times while staying at the hotel and only one staff informed me when she delivered my food that no tip is required. Also, parking is $16 a night. You can park on the streets surrounding the hotel for free. The hotel charges $15 a night for a resort fee, which I don't see it as a resort, since there was no direct beach access or any resort amenities.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear wicked51, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We certainly apologize for all the inconveniences. We very much value your feedback. We were, however disappointed to hear that several aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. We will take every aspect of this review into consideration and will share this among our management team. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally. Warm regards
St. John's, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The location of this hotel is not convenient unless you are there for a convention or a cruise. Restaurants are pricey and scarce. Not suitable for vacationing. Pool area while nice has only two umbrellas providing shade. On a rooftop pool this is inadequate. Cabs were expensive. We used the bus after figuring out for ourselves how the system worked.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Loretta D, I am so sorry that your stay with us was less than expected. Although the development from a restaurant perspective around and in our property has improved since opening the hotel in 2009 I agree that you would need a taxi, renting a car or using public transportation to explore Old San Juan, Condado or any other area in the metropolitan area of San Juan. Curently we are working on a solution for the umbrellas on our pool deck. Unfortunately we had problems with wind gusts lifting them up in the air creating a safety hazard. We do appreciate your feedback, as it helps us to improve and provide a better experience for future travelers. Warm regards
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband reserved a king size room, the day we got there, rooms were not available. They put us in a 2 queen beds. As soon as we went in the room, pubic hairs were on the toilet seat, the comforter was stained with dry blood. The next day they put us in a king size room with ocean view which was worse. My husband was locked in the bathroom because the latch wasn't working. The carpet in the room was stained like if they dropped some king of liquid and left like that. Also the restaurant in the hotel sucks. Besides pricey, I order plain pancakes and they brought me pancakes that had residue from a previous breakfest besides them telling me it was burnt butter. The pancakes looked like they had chocolate chips,,,nasty. I wouldn't go back to Puerto Rico, we went to the beach and there was empty beer bottles besides thrash everywhere. Old San Juan stunk, like if people urinate on the streets and besides being a humid weather which didn't help out. Terrible service at Chilli's by the way. Everything is expensive and people take advantage of the tourist. If you want to go to the beach go somewhere else.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlos P, Sales Coordinator at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience during your past stay with us Jacqueline B. I am very sorry to hear that despite our efforts to turn around your experience we were not able to meet your standards. My deepest apologies for all the inconveniences that you and your husband encountered and I hope that you reconsider your desition and give us and Puerto Rico the opportunity to show you the true first class service that Sheraton is known for.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton after being at the Ritz Carlton for the previous two days. Service was not perfect, but I will say I was much happier at the Sheraton over the Ritz Carlton La Verde. Really nice Resort, clean, beautiful decor, felt like modern tropical. Location was convenient, close to old San Juan, the infinity pool and pool area was beautiful and not at all crowded.

The gym was okay the machines can use a bit of TLC some work better then others and they could use some yoga mats or something so you have an area to stretch. There was one mat in entire gym, and it's falling apart.

Food was really good. The options were limited, but honestly choices, lobby bar and room service had some of the best food I had on the island and with the healthy option tips made choosing something decent and tasty really easy.

We also did the tour of the rainforest, coco falls and bio bay. Really enjoyed it. Coco falls was small which was surprising, but still refreshing after the trail and a nice turn around spot, it was really crowded at the falls so don't expect to swim, but you will be able to hop in the water to cool off. Bathrooms and food options are a bit dicey couldn't hurt to bring some snacks and small pack of tissues incase toilet paper is scarse (which is likely), just to cover your bases. Also dress for being wet with quick drying fabrics and bathing suits cause there aren't very many options to change clothes and it's a 12 hour day so you want to be comfortable. We had hiking sandals and pants that can zip to shorts with bathing suits underneath. We were probably the most practically and comfortably dressed for the day, but you don't have to do that if you can't or don't want to. One thing we didn't expect was to get brought to the beach for 2 hours. This could have been more enjoyable, if we were known we were going to do this... but no big deal. If you go to the beach on this excursion pay the $1 and go to the nicer bath house totally worth it! Bio Bay is AMAZING they totally undersell the kayaking experience the bio bay was cool, but just icing on the cake. We have not kayaked before and this was by far the best time we had, it was fun, breathtaking and also a great bonding experience for my husband and I.

Finally... Stay far far away from the Zen Retreat Spa at the hotel. I have never had such an un Zen and blood boiling experience at a Spa. I feel like I was robbed, because any benefit I should have got was just destroyed and I was left holding a very expensive bill and NOBODY gave a crap about at all!

We were given our clothes and directions to get changed upon arrival. After about 10 minutes I waited in the waiting area, and waited after about 15 mins I asked were everyone was and what we were doing. The girl went to check and never came back. Finally our therapists arrived and took us into our massages and that was the highlight of the experience.

After the massage, we went into our facials, the extractions that were preformed in both my mine and my husbands facials were quite painful in-fact we both commented how we were both so stressed after the facial that the massage was pretty pointless. Plus, my esthetician put the mask towards the end of the facial and left the room letting me know she was going to "change the water" after waiting 10-15 mins I was getting quite angry because for 100 dollar for the hour she has just left the room for 25% of the paid time! I have had MANY facials in my time and leaving the room is rare for that amount of time inexcusable. My husband has larger pores and he felt that his therapist was really taking pleasure in getting every last pore clean, which you would think would be great except fot the blotches and irritation to his skin that lasted till the next day! The waiter later that evening at choices was even shocked after over hearing our discussion.

Then finally to the manicure. Sanitation was a major concern... Most reputable salons for several years now use packaged sanitized instruments for manicures since infection is so easy. Not Zen when I asked about the instruments when I noticed they were just appearing from nowhere they said they use a sanitizer beforehand (that sanitation divise is nowhere to be seen). When I asked about packages and standards it was clear they had not been trained to (and never heard of) practices that are pretty standard. Plus I requested (and continued to speak about) not cutting too much cuticle off because it is good to keep some as it is created by the body as an natural defense against infection for your hands and nails, but nope I got butchered my fingers hurt for hours afterwords because she took all of my cuticle off. Plus, the polish chipped by days end. They also included a paraffin dip but since everyone dips into the same pot there was no way I was putting my hand in there as who knows how often it is cleaned and how many people used it before.

At the end when we paid the girl asked how everything was and I said it was just "OK" and that was it! No further address from the staff. While paying this $500+ bill and discussing the tip I had stated to the the associate how unhappy I was with my esthetician she said nothing, no apology, no what happened, nothing. I was so pissed I decided it was better to pay and leave cause I really felt I had absolutely no recourse. So yes, please save your money.

Spa excluded the Sheraton was great!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Michel-Notten, Manager at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear LaLaAtl, Thank you for your recent review and honest feedback! We greatly appreciate your comments about your experience at our hotel including Restaurant Choices and ofcourse your adventure in Puerto Rico. You have done some great sight seeing while you were here! We have recently replaced some of the equipment in our Sheraton Fitness powered by Core Performance. Additionally, thank you for your comments in regards to Zen Spa Retreat. I have addressed your concerns with Zen Spa ownership. We greatly appreciate your feedback, as it helps us to improve and provide a better experience.We hope to see you again in the near future! Warm regards
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The Sheraton is a comfortable hotel espically if you are a cruiseship passenger catching a ship from the Panama American pier (they have more than one cruise ship pier). The biggest draw back to this hotel is lack of other resturants in the area. The are 3 resturants at the hotel and are a bit pricey. To go out anywhere plan on taking a taxi. The family did enjoy the infinity pool, but it looks smaller that the hotel web site photo.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you Margo H for your review and comments. As you mentioned we are in a perfect location for pre & post cruise stays especially from the Pan American pier. Based on reviews and guest feedback we continue to review our hotel venue menus and pricing levels on a monthly basis to ensure we are competitively priced in our market. We recently made some changes to the menus to better suit the needs of our guests. We hope you enjoyed the beautiful Island of Puerto Rico. Warm regards

Been to Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!