“Not convenient for us pre cruise” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #13 of 44 hotels in San Juan
chicago
“Not convenient for us pre cruise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I'm sure this is a nice business hotel, but for us it was just not convenient. We have been to San Juan many times and by far we feel the best location to stay is in Old San Juan. There is nothing within walking distance of this Sheraton. Your only choice for a restaurant other than the hotel is a Mexican restaurant across the street or a Pricey Brazilian steak house. No comparison to the selections in Old San Juan. This hotel does not give you the wonderful culture and flavor of San Juan.

The hotel is clean, modern and has a beautiful pool area, but unfortunately didn't work for us.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlos P, Sales Coordinator at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Good day HollywoodChicago, thank you for giving us your opinion about your stay. We are glad to hear that you appreciated our hotel. Great to know that you have enjoyed the beautiful area of Old San Juan with all its heritage and rich culture. As far as transportation to Old San Juan, we do have public busses departing from the Convention Center that take around 10 minutes to the bus terminal in Old San Juan. We hope you will be back soon to ‘the island of enchantment’!

820 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just got back from staying there. The rooms were very nice. Not far from the airport. You must either rent a car or pay for a taxi. We were a family of four and it was more economical to just rent a car. Parking fees were $16. Meals were a little pricey. We ate dinner an the Chinese Restaurant. It had great service and the prices were reasonable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Carlos P, Sales Coordinator at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. The Sheraton Puerto Rico is located right in front of the Convention Center. A public bus stop can be found right in front of the center, just 2 minutes walking, if you would like to explore San Juan, and it only costs .75 cents per person. This buses can take you to Old San Juan, Condado and even Plaza Las Americas Shopping Mall. If your travels bring you again to the island of enchantment, we hope to see you and welcome you to the Sheraton Puerto Rico.
Suwanee, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Pro:1. The staff is really great. They bend over backward to help you. 2. Clean. 3. Comfortable.
Con: 1. Location is close to convention center, but no restaurants or shopping nearby.
2. The two restaurants in the hotel are mediocre and are awsomely expensive. 3. Even though the hotel is fairly "new", the carpet is completly worn out and needs to be ripped out and changed.
4. The rooms are awfully small for the price charged.5. The food is very expensive for the quality and quantity served. 5. Need additional staff at the reception desk. Lines are way too long many times.6. The key card never worked many times for elevator and room lock (same complaints from many fellow people at the hotel). 7. You will be able to buy even aspirin at this hotel. All they have is a cheap jwellery shop and another selling some local junk.

Advise: If you do have to stay at this place, ask for a room looking at he harbor.

Room Tip: If you are staying to catch a boat or have a convention, it is fine. If you want to a vacation stay...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comprehensive review on your stay at the Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino. We are glad to hear that you appreciated our staff as well as the cleanliness and comfort of our hotel. However, we do regret that you were not satisfied with the price and the quality of food that our restaurants are offering. We always strive to have the best quality of food and service for a good price. Your comment about the carpet will be communicated to the Housekeeping department and as far as the waiting lines at the Front Desk, we will be looking into that in our next Guest Services meeting. Our goal is to have a fast and efficient check-in and avoid waiting times and we do apologize that you did not experience this the way it should have been.

We always would like to know any improvement areas for our hotel and service so thank you very much for your efforts of letting us know. We would like to invite you back in our hotel, so we can show you our improvements.
Sparks, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a nice hotel for us only for its rooms with a balcony,service is great,cleanliness is good. When we rented the room we first asked how far is the beach, they said five min. Turns out its 5 min by rental car and 20.00 by taxi. If you want to stay there for business it's a great place to stay and casino there's 3 restuarants,convention center is right across the street. It's not sheraton s fault that we ended up there I blame cheap tickets and of myself for not calling the hotel first hand. Turns out there are only 3 beaches in Puerto Rico the others like vieques and celebra you need to take a boat or kyack. The nicest place we found and cheaper to stay is on Loiza st. In isla verdes great beach and hotels. To get to yuenque waterfall you'll do some up and down climbing 45 min. It's worth the climb. Old san juan is beautiful.

Room Tip: Balcony is the best nice breeze
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience with us Evanpao1. Great to hear that you enjoyed our hotel! As far as the beaches, we regret that you were not informed correctly. However, there is a small beach in Condado10 mins walking distance from the hotel. On 15-20 mins walking distance there are more beaches. Puerto Rico does have plenty of beaches, like Condado Beach, Ocean Park, Isla Verde, Piñones, Dorado Beach, Luquillo and many more. We hope that you will be able to enjoy them next time you visit Puerto Rico and we also hope to welcome you back to the Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino.
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I honestly can't say there is much I would change about our stay. Though the property is not located within walking distance of Old San Juan, it IS practically at the Pan American Pier (Royal Caribbean & Celebrity).

From the airport it was a quick cab ride...$20 for 2 passengers with bags.

We arrived about 4:30pm and was eagerly greeted by Cesar at the front desk. Though our room was cleaned it had not yet been inspected so Cesar ran to personally take care of it for us.

Our room was a large corner king room with balcony overlooking the cruise ships...located on the Starwood Preferred Guest Floor. Complimentary wifi and bottled water were additional unexpected perks. We also splurged.for a breakfast package...definitely worth the extra $20.

Overall...we were VERY pleased with our stay and would not hesitate to come back again!

• Stayed February 2013
Buenos dias suzd123! We would like to thank you for taking the time to give your thoughts about our hotel. We are happy to know that you were very pleased with your stay. We are looking forward to warmly welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel and Casino is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed. I stayed at this hotel last year in February. Everything was fine, until my safe was broken into. I lost a nominal amount of money, and called security when i realized. The evening security people made out a report, and told us to come down to be reimbursed for the money. I was ready for bed at this time after a long day. So, I decided to address this in the morning. Big mistake, The female daytime manager, JR is terrible, has no customer service experience, and is downright rude. She made me wait in the lobby for more than an hour until she decided to make her way downstairs. After threatening to call the police, she finally returned my money. After writing a terrible review on SPG, she called me and offered me any amenities I would like upon our next visit.

So, I decided to go back because the location is good. After various emails back and forth finally she called me and asked what she could do to make our stay better. I was impressed, So, I was a bit over the top asking for an upgrade to a suite. She, of course, did not do this. Now, starwood guests are offered upgrades if one is available, so really I did not get anything more than was expected. I told her in an email that I would be arrriving at 1 am. She had no room available. Once I told the evening staff that I would be happy to pull out a blanket, and sleep on their couch, they amazingly found a room. They charged me for an extra day, saying that I arrived at 11:59 pm. My flight did not touch down until 11:47, and I checked my bags. The airport is more than 15 minutes away,so I could not have ever checked in at that time. Customer service is not something this hotel excels in. The first room, and the second "upgraded" room were dirty. There were stains on the carpeting, under the sink dirty. This is not a four or five star hotel. This is a two star hotel at best. Another thing that happened, which of course was accidental, was that when we were checking into our second room, when I put the key in, the room was occupied. I think you can imagine our horror, as well as the other guests horror. I can go on and on.

The women at the front desk, especially A.S. is a very sarcastic nasty woman. She used an affected Puerto RIcan accident to let me know who the overall manager of the hotel is, and then implied i was stupid, since it is a very easy name. Yes, it is, if you speak proper English.

By the way, there is a very small blurb that says they are not responsible for anything left in their safes. So, if you have anything of value, I suggest you put it behind the front desk, in their safety deposit boxes.

A wonderful vacation, turned into a vacation from hell.

Sncerely,
Elizabeth DIerking

Room Tip: I wish I could add a tip here. Unless you get hte presidential suite, then maybe you will have a goo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Michel-Notten, Manager at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Elizabeth O, First of all we truly would like to offer our sincerest apologies for your experience at our hotel. This is definitely not the way it should have felt. We have met internally with our management team discussing the processes and behaviors that were not up to our & Sheraton standards. As a team we are committed for occurrences like this not to happen to any of our future guests. At this moment our Corporate office is working together with us investigating and at the same time communicating with you as we do appreciate you and your husband’s loyalty to Starwood Hotels & Resorts. Once again we would like to apologize on behalf of the Sheraton Puerto Rico.
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was in PR for a conference and was traveling by myself. I sat at the Choices Restaurant bar and had dinner. The staff was extremely friendly and kind. Daniella and Gabriel, among others, went out of their way to make sure I liked my food choices and was happy. I plan on staying at this hotel again in the future. Really makes a difference when you're traveling for business by yourself.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Good day Citygirl Miami, thank you very much for your positive review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your dinner at our restaurant Choices and you appreciated the service you received. We hope to see you soon on your next trip to Puerto Rico.

Been to Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!