“Very helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 44 hotels in San Juan
Chicago, Il
“Very helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed here in January 2013 for a meeting. Very clean hotel, and friendly, helpful staff for the most part. I say for the most part because although I don't gamble, I accompanied some of my colleagues to the casino. The casino staff seemed very unfriendly to the point of making my coworkers uncomfortable. Other than that my stay was satisfactory.

Room Tip: I had room 910, I could clearly hear the service elevator all the time.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Michel-Notten, Manager at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
We want to thank you for taking the time to post the review, your feedback is very important to us and we will make every efforts to improve our Casino staff friendliness. We hope that you'll give us the opportunity to show you the impovements next time you are passing through Puerto Rico.

Regards,

815 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Santa Ana, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed here 9 nights on my December visit to the Island and see the family. Staff was great. Hotel is beautiful but due to it being an overnight hotel for cruise ship stop, caution you that some rooms exhibit some wear and tear. Didn't eat at any of the restaurants since mom and dad were just 20 mins away and we ate there. Great atmosphere during the Xmas holiday which added a nice touch to the season. I do need to mention that the pool area was not opened at night which would have been nice to hang out at night. Overall I would definitely stay here again if the price is right. The location and views were great. The dancing fountain across from the hotel was amazing. Not sure why some visitors have complaints about the staff. They were all so nice and professional. Loved the bartender. Can't remember his name but will try to post a pic of them holding up a bottle of Patron cheering us.

Room Tip: view to the cruise ship on high floor. Balcony rooms are very limited so good luck trying to get upg...
Saludos Miriam C,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay here at the Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel and Casino, our success depends upon the review's from loyal guests like you. Please accept my sincere thank you and we hope to welcome you again in future.
Regards,
DALTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

One night stay prior to sailing on the Adventure of the Seas. Very close to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Terminal. Not as close to Carnival. Big Hotel. Seems targeted for conventions. Not a lot of personality. It was a little short staffed for check-in at night with a bit of a wait but ok, Very comfortable beds, clean room, quiet, and good breakfast options. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hello, Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are so glad to hear that got a good nights' rest on our " Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed" We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcome you again at the Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel and Casino. Warm Regards,
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I don't normally post reviews however my experience with this hotel and the poor service we experienced has bothered me for over a month now. In fact, my first experience staying at a Sheraton was so poor that I have not stayed at a Sheraton in a couple of years however I wanted to give it another try to see if a different hotel in a different city would be different. It was not. I travel fairly frequently, mostly for pleasure and am not usually disappointed. I know that sometimes things happen and some situations are unavoidable however this hotel let me down from the time I walked through the doors. I will likely not stay at a Sheraton again.

We stayed at this property in December prior to a cruise; we were forced to stay at this location because the Old San Juan Sheraton only accepts a min. of 2 night reservations.

I paid $239 for the night we stayed. I don't usually pay that much and I certainly don't feel that I got what I paid for. Check in took FOREVER and the other time I went to the front desk to exchange money I had to wait in line for at least 20 mns again. Check out was much of the same but a larger issue.

Room service took close to an hour to arrive.

While the property is beautiful it is not really close to anything. A cab ride from the airport was $25 a cab ride to Old San Juan is $15 each way. And then another $15 back to the port in the morning. Won't be doing that again; this is the most I have spent on taxis in a long time.

We had asked for late check out as we could not board the boat until 2 p.m.; we received a letter under our door in the morning advising this service was not available that day...wonder how many other times it wasn't.

There is no online/in room expresss check out; for a hotel of this size and a convention centre I was surprised. In fact I can't remember the last time a hotel didn't have express check out available. So back down to the front desk we went. Stood in line close to 30 mns. The bill that had been left under the door did not include the additional breakfast charges fromt that morning so I asked for an updated bill. The breakfast charges added to the account were incorrect. The clerk who checked me out attempted three times to correct the bill. He got more and more frustrated as time went on. He rolled his eyes and actually crumpled and threw one of the bills on the floor in anger at one point. He finally tossed a corrected bill at me accross the desk asked it was finally correct and said goodbye. I said to him that his customer service skills were completely unacceptable and based on this final behavior I would NOT be staying at a Sheraton property again. He could have cared less.

I filled out the customer service survey after returning from our vacation. I identified other dissatisfactions such as stained pillow cases and towels as well as rusty light fixtures in the bathroom. I have received no feedback.

This really was one of the most disappointing stays I have had in the last three years of travelling. I am still thinking about it and this is the reason I felt I must post my review.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Michel-Notten, Manager at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Halmp, We appreciate your critique and sharing your experience with us and please accept our apologies for not receiving a reply to the customer survey you filled out. We are disappointed to hear that several aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and truly apologize for these inconveniences. Please know that we have discussed your comments with our management team and follow up has been given to certain processes and trainings. We hope you give us another chance to make things right on your next visit. Warm Regards
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Not a luxury experience, but a very good hotel that is exceptionally close to the conventional center. We stayed there for 4 nights while attending a conference - it is literally steps from the convention center, and a nice retreat during shorter breaks from the conference.
Pros: close to convention center
- clean rooms
- not too much noise
- large pool area
- decent fitness area
- free breakfast with Club room
Cons:
- distance to everything else (i.e. Condado and Old San Juan both require taxis)
- not scenic at all (views of worn down lawns and industrial type areas or convention center)
- a bit understaffed in cleaning staff so room not made up until later in the day (like 4pm)
- service at the pool bar is very slow, as was the one time we got coffee and dessert in the lobby restaurant

Room Tip: club rooms are on higher levels, we stayed on the top floor, but views are still only so-so
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Carlos P, Sales Coordinator at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Saludos KHib,

Thank you for your taking the time to share your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future again and maybe this time you will have the opportunity to enjoy our beautiful views of the San Juan Bay and the Marina right next door to us . Please feel free to contact me directly at prcc.sales@sheraton.com if I can be of any assistance.
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

First i will start off with this. This hotel far exceeded my expectations. Originally I wanted to stay at the Sheraton in old san juan since I am a starwoods customer and it was less points. My husband and I were going out on a cruise and the Old San Juan hotel was walking distance to the cruise terminal.The old san juan hotel was sold out so we ended up booking this one instead for 3000 points more a day. The hotel was gorgeous! The lobby was very interesting and funky. There were lots of bars and a casino in the hotel. Also the pool deck was crazy awesome. It overlooks the convention center and they have comfortable seating and the patio the pool is on is very large. There is a bar outside, a huge hot tub and a large pool as well. They have towels outside ready for people to use. This is very close to old san juan and there are many restaurant close too.
The only thing that bothered me about this place is that if you are paying with your starpoints you will be charged a 16 dollars SERVICE FEE. Its in the fine print on your confirmation email. I just figured that this fee would be waived considering I used my starpoints for this. NOPE! So something that I thought was supposed to be free ended up costing me 32 bucks. Now I know that doesn't really sound like a big deal but it is when you aren't expecting it at all. When I called SPG they said that the only thing that i should have been charged with is if a place had a RESORT FEE but any other things should have been included if i was paying with points. So SPG transferred me to the hotel and they said that information was inaccurate. They always charge the SERVICE FEE regardless of points being used. She was not super helpful and never offered to waived the fee even after telling her I was really disappointed with the fact that it wasn't waived. I was not satisfied with this response from the hotel so i called SPG again and I talked to someone about the same issue. She finally did see that in my confirmation email it said hotel service fee 14 percent per room per night not in the rate. It also says occupancy tax 11 percent per room per night not included in the rate. She said usually it is waived if you are in the United States but some places are different. I feel that this should have been waived for someone paying with starpoints. This hotel was amazing but this SERVICE FEE really left a bad impression on me. From now on i will be checking any time I book another Starwoods Hotel. How hard would it really have been to just waive the fee for me? I mean what do they lose really? 32 dollars. If they waived (or offer to waive) this fee for me I would have given them 5 stars and never have mentioned this.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hola Tamesha J,
Thank you for staying with us and for your loyalty to our SPG Program. I was excited to read that you found our hotel and staff to be great. I am very sorry to hear that although you liked the hotel very much, the Service Fee made you feel uncomfortable. Please feel free to contact me directly at prcc.sales@sheraton.com so I can assit you with making the reservations for your return visit.
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was a nice choice for a hotel for our pre-cruise stay. The only disadvantage for this hotel is it's distance to everything. We arrived at the hotel in the early afternoon and our room was ready right away. Went up to the room on the 9th floor and found out we were on the back side of the hotel - not a problem just not nearly as nice a view from this room as there would be from the front side of the hotel. Room was fairly clean but did have a bit of a musty smell to it. It was quite large though and plent of room to move around. The bed was comfy enough. We stayed 2 nights prior to our cruise. It turned out to be a great location for us to find our way around when renting our car at the attached AVIS car rental station. We were able to make our way to the rainforest without much difficulty and I am glad we weren't in Old San Juan with the rental that we did have - Dodge Ram 1500!

While at the hotel we did have the opportunity to try both the tapas bar and the breakfast buffet. Both were quite good. The continental breakfast buffet was included in our room cost and had plenty of choices without purchasing the full hot buffet. On our second morning we chose to pay the extra just so we would have enough to fill us up until we got on the ship. We did have a problem with the billing but that was quickly taken care of and no fuss made.

The pool on the 4th floor is beautiful as are the views and the facilities there. We had a bit of a problem on our second morning when going on to the pool deck - some children were throwing pennies from the balconies and the security guard saw them. One of the pennies almost hit us! He immediately told them to stop and when we saw him later that morning he told us he had security visit the kids.

I also loved the musical fountain in front of the hotel. I was able to view both the night show and a daytime show at the fountain.

On checkout day we had to be out of our room on time as the hotel was fully booked for New Year's but the hotel allowed us to keep our luggage there and use the facilities until we were able to transfer to the cruise. One thing I did find out was that there was a package that we could have purchased that would have brought us and our luggage to the ship and we wouldn't have had to worry about it at all after leaving it at the porters desk. Wish I had know that before we left home as that would have made the transfer even easier. Plenty of taxis stop by here so transfering to the cruise ports is not difficult.

Overall a nice visit to this hotel.

Room Tip: View of fountain and harbor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
jessica_rodriguez, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Hola and Warmest Afternoon!

Thank you very much for sharing your experience during your stay with us. At the moment the Convention District is in under development but I am happy to see that you did enjoy the features we have to offer at our property. I will make sure to share with our team your great experience as it was also really nice to see that your opportunities where addressed properly by them. I am glad to hear that you did not have any problem getting to your cruise ship, we do have to our advantage our location which makes taking a taxi ride seconds away so that you can continue your journey towards the beautiful Caribbean waters flawlessly. Once again thank you for taking your time to share your experience. We hope to welcome you back anytime in the near future!

Been to Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!