“Nice hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 44 hotels in San Juan
New York City, New York
“Nice hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

During my check in the associate went through great lengths to explain the advantages to being a Starwood member. She also said if I didn't want housekeeping services I would receive a $5.00 voucher for each day that I didn't request housekeeping services. What she failed to mention is that at a certain time in the evening you can only access the upper floors in the hotel by using your room key. I think this was very important information that should be shared. I called the front desk to let them know we were expecting a limousine. I gave my room number so in the event the driver announced he was there they would know which room we were in. the person who answered the phone first asked me if it was an emergency who I said no. I repeated again about the limousine. She then asked me what did I want her to do? Front desk people were a hit and a miss in terms of customer service. Wifi worked sometimes and most times it didn't. The bellhops were fantastic!! They were always there to help at all times. The parking was $16.00 a night. The coffee maker in the room was for two cups of coffee - one regular and one decaf. (It was Starbucks coffee which I thought tasted terrible). If you were a casino member you were granted "priviledges" over those who aren't. I have stayed in other hotels and paid less and received more for my money. I only stayed there because my niece was getting married and she wanted to leave from the hotel. I have stayed at other Sheraton Hotels where I have received much more amenities and didn't pay as much. The hotel was decorated beautifully.

Room Tip: Tell them you don't want a view of the construction site.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

815 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We went here to kill some time before our boat took off from San Juan. I wanted to get the gambling started- most of all play some slots of black jack. The casino was small, the slot variety was poor and the tables were expensive for the middle of the day.

Most of all, when we ordered a drink while sitting at a table- it never came! We sat there for about 25 minutes and the waitress never came by. I also felt like I was under surveillance the whole time- the vibe was just not a good one. I would not go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This is a nice hotel, for business. There is a big conference going on in the hotel, and there are still lots of kids running around. I don't know what they do all day--hang out by the pool? Beds, rooms are nice--bathroom--not so much. I was here for work, and all 3 of us ended up in disability rooms--zero vanity space in bathroom, water all over when taking a shower...and the shower head is one of those removable ones, which keeps falling down. My bathroom's ceiling access panels keep falling open, too. I finally taped them up with duct tape.
China Club restaurant is okay. Had Choices for breakfast--very pricey. There's a Mexican place across the street--we liked that a lot, but it's kind of gourmet, so servings are small-ish.
Concierge, bell boys--all very helpful.
Walls do seem rather thin--it was obvious to me that there were little kids in the room next to me, plus I was next to the elevator--which runs ALL night. And next to ice machine. Stay away from rooms ending in 35! (however, I did have a balcony overlooking the pool deck, so...)

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 35 are next to ice machine and elevator.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Right in front of Puerto Rico Convention Center this is the best hotel to be choosen for both business (if your meeting is at the Puerto Rico Convention Center) and leisure. The room , the bed and the pillows are very comfortable especially if you can have the 'bayview' one, from which you can see the beatiful bay with old San Juan as the background, the beautiful hotel's pool and also the view of the convention center with it's beautiful glittering lamps and fountain at night. It's worth to pay extra for the club rooms especially if your stay is for business , because you can have 24 hour access to the Club Lounge with the business room inside and all the business equipment inclusive the computer with internet connection (the internet connection is also free at the room), printer and the paper suply free of charge. Bottled cold water , hot coffee and tea is also available all days long inside the lounge. It might be better if they also could serve cookies, snacks and fruits together with the drink even they have already served the 'hours d'ouvre' from 5 to 8 pm. The view form theClub lounge is also beautiful, but it would be better if the quality of the breakfast could be increased by adding some hot food like some variation of eggs dishes. The only problem for the very busy travelers, it's hard to do some shopping even only for small things or souvenirs around the hotel. You should go to the shopping centre or the old San Juan, and the taxi's fee is unbelievable..at least 15 USD for every trip!!!

Room Tip: Choose the Club rooms with bayview
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

First and foremost, I would like to commend my server "GABRIEL VALDES" aka GABBY. His knowledge and amazing personality made my dining experience a FIVE STAR. I ordered the scallops with arugala salad and my second course was the grilled jerk mahi, and for dessert I had an appetizing apple tart. It was a delicious choice of foods. He also suggested an amazing pineapple mojito. Kudos to you Gabby on an exemplary job!!!I will definetly go back Choices Restaurant again !!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We won this hotel on one of the bid places. The price was reasonable and included taxes (this is pretty important in Puerto Rico). We didn't realize that a continental breakfast was also included. Beautiful room with a city view. Very nice staff. The ONLY reason I didn't give this hotel 5 stars is that it is really in the middle of NOWHERE. The pool is also wonderful. This is right next to the convention center. Looking forward to when some other things spring up in that area

Room Tip: Our room Overlooked the city but the condensation on the window made for a so-so view. Our friend o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel 5 times and there was a noticeable difference in the quality of service and the appearance of the hotel. 1) the Sheraton club is understaffed and the food is simply terrible. We arrived on a Monday and by Wed, they were serving Peppers( yes chiles) as a meal which is unacceptable 2) The hotel hosted a volleyball event for kids and the club sold of breakfast before 8am. 3) During the event, guests were bringing non guest to the pool area , who brought there own food and drinks( yes alcohol) while taking up space for paying guests 4)Also at pool, there were no towels for over 2 hours and we had to get towels from our room. 5) there was no security at the pool to prevent this problem and there were paying guests sharing seats. 6) The hallways and common areas were not clean and there was a 2 day trash build up on our floor.On the positive side, Nicole from the Club and Freddy from were very helpful and really tried to improve the situation but Senior mgmt needs to take a hard look at its service offering and security. I will no stay here again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!