“Glad we tried for a second time” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #325 of 639 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood, International, Puerto Rican
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: El Asador, where you can find the best meat cuts & Puerto Rican cuisine, has a prime location near Old San Juan's entrance, and right in the heart of the Old City's nightlife. The stylish and exclusive decor of this Bar & Restaurant, accentuated by a magnificent interior patio, provides the perfect environment for a delightful, cozy and sophisticated experience. Whether you are looking for an early lunch, a romantic dinner, or even if you are looking to have a couple of drinks with friends, El Asador is your ultimate destination.
Jacksonville, Florida
“Glad we tried for a second time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Our 2012 stop here was not great because of an unhappy employee but we are really glad we tried it again this year! Juan Carlos was an awesome bartender, his fresh made Mojito is incredible! We are not big fans of Mofongo but these guys have one of the best. We would definitely return.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

San Francisco, California
“Beautiful building, excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This was our favorite dinner in Old San Juan. We were there on a Monday night, and the restaurant was quiet and wonderful. The decor is the best of old architecture and modern amenities. The food was really good as well. My daughter and I split the prix fixe dinner and the waiter was happy to accommodate us. The sangria was delicious as well. It was a wonderful experience all the way around.

Visited June 2013
CT
“Great atmosphere for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My mom and I ate lunch here a week ago and it was great. Mom had the lentil soup and I had the mushroom risotto. We also shared some fried chicken, the flavor of which was great but it was a little dry. We almost had the place to ourselves except for a few other patrons. The price was great and service was very good.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
allen Park
“Absolutely rude people, horrible service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Avoid this place at all costs. My visit was on 3/24/13 and we were treated as inferior. The waiter took our order and we then waited over an hour for the food to come. Mind you, we were the only customers in the place. I went to the bar to ask my waiter for another beer (because he never checked on us a single time) and as I approached him, he literally looked me in the eyes and turned away from me. He wasn't doing anything but standing there so that was extremely rude. He did respond when I asked for the beer but he NEVER brought it to me. I had to go back up to the bar and ask someone else for it. Her attitude was the same as the guy, one of annoyance. I think the best part was when we were finally able to get the bill, they had tacked on a charge for $20.54 under the label of open bar. I asked what it was and they said it was their tip. I laughed at them and told them to remove it. When the updated bill was brought back to our table, the lady rolled her eyes at us and threw the check on the table and stormed away. To be fair, the food was pretty good but the rest of the experience royally sucked. You couldn't pay me to go back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida
“I wish it was better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

You're not sure they care whether or not you show up to eat here. There was no sense of urgency or service to try to get us a menu right away, but it did eventually come and the gentleman behind the bar was polite enough. We did eventually get drinks but refills weren't quick at all. So, don't stop if you're in a hurry or thirsty. LOL The food was okay. The guava flan was interesting and different. But there is better and less expensive places to visit. Now... if you look at the pictures on this review you can see why this place draws attention. It's in a very neat alley corner, it has some very attractive architectural distractions, pretty tables and a nice cross breeze not to mention free-wifi. So, if the food is not a priority and you want to spend more than you should...why not?!